TWP: is there something wrong with the German verb interface?

My English teacher taught me that the sentence construction must follow the S.V.O.M.P.T. :
. Subject
. Verb
. Object
. Mode
. Place
. Time

It’s easy, logical, successful.

About the “open door” vs “open THE door” example: I always believed that it was correct, in English, to omit the article. In fact, one of the first news with Monkey Island translation was the article as part of the object name (“apri LA porta”).

The important thing is to make yourself understood.

I have observed that one of the reasons why some people didn’t like the German adaptation of the verbs is because it departs from how the verbs were implemented in the old Lucas adventure games. My hypothesis is that people who played those games just got used to that translation and now they find any deviation from it more difficult to accept.

Casual mobile players who probably didn’t play many on the old PnC adventure games might find the current German verbs in TWP a bit strange, but at least their judgment will not be influenced by how German verbs were implemented in old Lucas games. I suspect that casual mobile players might be more tolerant than die-hard adventure game fans.

2 Likes

Yes, you are probably right. But the main problem (from my point of view) is, that the verbs are inconsistent in the game: The verbs in the slots are in a complete other form than the verbs in the sentence line - they won’t fit together. This constantly confuses the brain (well, at least mine :wink: ). And the used form in the slots is unusual for games at all. So even if you never played an adventure game, the verbs will confuse you.

So, I’m not sure, that the players of the mobile versions won’t complain the verbs. But let’s see. :slight_smile:

“Stöhn” is not really from Mad Magazine, but a so-called Erikativ (officially Inflektiv) by my most favourite translator ever, Dr. Erika Fuchs. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflektiv

2 Likes

Looking at the comments from the past three months I would say that roughly 90% of complaints come from people that are used to the Monkey Island way. As said above - there is NO totally correct way to do it. Gib/Gebe never really works correctly. Look at X does not work because it HAS to be Schaue X an. So that’s why I disregard all comments about it not being “correct” - the verb interface always will be an approximation. But I am happy if people say they will enjoy TWP more if it looks more like Monkey Island because that says that they REALLY like Monkey Island - and the German version…

1 Like

…and Herbert Feuerstein, who did a lot of the translations for Mad Magazine as the editor in chief for Germany really is a great fan of Erika Fuchs too.

I only have to find out who officially translated Peanuts, because I translated Rootbeer with Malzbier due to Snoppy drinking Malzbier in the German version.

1 Like

I like(d) this “wrong” translation, because “Malzbier” is a lot funnier than “Rootbeer”. (Beside that, only very few people in Germany knew Rootbeer …)

And it’s interesting that “Malzbier” makes even more sense, if we look at the ending of Monkey Island 2. :wink:

Why does it make more sense. Also nobody in Germany would know rootbeer. (Btw how can anybody drink that, doesnt it taste like mouthwash?)

I wouldn’t say “nobody”, but as I wrote: only very few. :slight_smile:

“Malzbier” exists in two variants: The one with alcohol and the one without alcohol (but with sugar). The correct term in Germany for the alcohol free variant today is “Malztrunk” but especially back in the 80s it was just known as “Malzbier”. The Malztrunk is suitable for and loved by teenager (well, it was when I was young :wink: ). At the end of MI2 we see that Guybrush and LeChuck are kids. So, I would say: That fits perfectly. :wink:

Agree. But so does rootbeer, doesnt it?

Doesn’t rootbeer contain alcohol?

I don’t mind using Malzbier for root beer but Malzbier has a different vibe. Root beer is more a soft drink. You might be familiar with root beer (as well as stuff like Fluff) when you’re living in a bigger town or there is an US base within range. Heutzutage bekommt man’s aber auch von der Tengelfrau bei Tengelmann.

No its alcohol free. And it really tastes like mouthwash (think green lysterine), I think they might use the same flavouring.

Hm… Wikipedia says: “Root beer may be alcoholic or non-alcoholic, …”

But you are right of course. I thought it was an alcoholic beer with an extreme weird taste. :slight_smile: It’s maybe because I’m not a fan of beer at all (even Malztrunk…) and should read Wikipedia articles before I write answers :wink: .

But if root beer is alcohol free and you don’t want to use the term “root beer”, then “Malzbier” would be even the/a perfect translation - or do we Germans have a German word/variant for “root beer”?

Well wikipedia tries to be balanced, and you almost always can find an exception, but I believe that a alcoholic brand of rootbeer is actually ‘exceptional’.

1 Like

Root beer just isn’t very popular in Germany. There are a lot of people never heard of it, including me when I first played Monkey Island. “Malzbier” on the other hand is a very well known thing in Germany, so exchanging this in the localization process makes sense to me, despite tricky to explain the root on the ghost ship.

2 Likes

It doesn’t sound wrong to me. Maybe because I learned reading and grammar (both German and English) by playing your adventure games as a kid. Don’t tell me that everything I learned from you is wrong.

5 Likes

In Finnish “Open door” would be correct. Straight translation would be “Avaa ovi”, which is correct. Finnish has no articles. “Give Chainsaw to Ray” would be difficult though, as it should be “Anna moottorisaha Raylle”, where “to” is the suffix “lle” in “Raylle”.

2 Likes

I haven’t read all 98 posts above here, but, if you replace “Nehme” by “Nimm”, “Gebe” by “Gib”, you could also think about replacing “Nutze” by “Benutze”. Well, if you simply use an item, you can say “Nutze …”, but if you use something on another item, “Benutze … mit …” might sound better. Also, most German players might be used to the “Benutze” button from the SCUMM games.

In addition to Boris’ suggestion, I would suggest to make those changes in the sentence line as well.
EDIT: I just noticed that the verbs in the sentence line are different, so I hereby withdraw my previous suggestion. :wink:

You can stick alcohol in just about anything. I’ve seen alcoholic lemonade and alcoholic seltzer water, for instance. But those are very much the exception. In the US at least, you can be assured that root beer, lemonade, and seltzer water will be alcohol-free unless you go to deliberate effort to obtain it with alcohol.

1 Like