Under development adventure games that are worth a mention

And this would be the appropriate topic :slight_smile:. But we’ll enjoy them no matter where they show up!

3 Likes

Later Alligator:

2 Likes

Whispers of a Machine:
Pixel graphics adventure game from the makers of Kathy Rain.
Release is planned in Q2 2019.

1 Like

I loved that game and managed to finish it. It was very funny. I had a soft spot for games like this (Rock Star Ate My Hamster was another great one) even though they taught me nothing and in real life I can’t really manage anything. There’s a browser version online.

1 Like

Hi,

Okay guys, thank you. :slight_smile: I have posted a picture in the right topic.

You are right, we have tried. I’m a bit disappointed nevertheless, because the start at Kickstarter was so promising and I really thought we can reach the stretch goal of full voice acting maybe even a German translation. Well, maybe at least the English synchronization comes anyway I hope.

Best regards,

Scheinworld

Low-res point’n’click adventure “coming soon”:
Don’t Escape: 4 Days in a Wasteland on GOG.
Note: there are also survival/timed mechanics in the game.

4 Likes

I try to be prepared for the worst, before I open this thread, and I still wonder how adventures, which are not worth being mentioned, look like (but without wanting to see them). As I’m here already, let’s take a look (although the screenshot hurts in my eyes already):

a) A classic pixelart aesthetic and creepy atmosphere from a veteran of horror and thrillers.
Who might be this guy? But no matter who he/she/it is, I doubt this will be able due to the graphics. It’s very unlikely, you gonna scare adults with a resolution of about 32k pixels, in this style, with such a camera. The ‘classic’ is wrong due to the dpi/different hardware/lack of afterglow/blur …

b) Logical puzzles and exploration to challenge players without frustrating them.
This sounds good, except that a logical puzzle isn’t enough, a.o. it’s about the fun, the tragedy, the awesomeness, the uniqueness of a puzzle too. Secondly without offering diversified options or an AI, how is a ‘challenge players without frustrating them’ gonna work exactly for a small budgeted project (hence the graphics)? It rings the ‘there will be puzzles but they won’t stop your story flow’ bell. Someone who enjoys getting stuck for good reasons vs. I primary want an interactive story (which works best in your dreams).

c) Time mechanics; certain actions advance the clock in a race against time.
On mobile, there already exists a survival mode in every game, it’s the energy consumption of a game vs. your battery, and finding the power connector just in time, plus, everything going wrong in the real world around you.

d) A post-apocalyptic thriller, with an engaging storyline and cast.
Wow, finally, a new idea. An engaging storyline … so a book author or a professional writer from the film industry went for a game for a change? I wonder how important the cast will be considering this presentation but at least in this scenario there’s a reason for unenlivened scenes. Good voice acting is generally great but regarding sound, why not staying more ‘classic’ and enjoy 8bit too then?

e) Moody and engrossing original musical score.
Again, it’s funny to see how devs enjoy high res music in their low res graphics productions, which (if you’ve experienced low res) often doesn’t fit together and feels wrong.

f) Multiple variations for each chapter mean multiple play throughs with new content.
Which means less resources went into the linear story telling. How often did I replay an adventure, just in order to experience tiny differences? If I had to choose, I always would have preferred a bigger better built linear world instead or more/better puzzles contrary to that I need to replay a game in order to experience slight differences.

Apart from this, the game sounds great.

Feudal Alloy (GOG, Steam), a metroidvania with interesting art direction.

“fish-controlled medieval robots”? Check.

It will be released soon on 2018-01-17 on PC platforms and will also come to current console platforms.

2 Likes

Eastshade, mentioned earlier by @Someone has a release date: February 13th.

A peaceful open-world exploration-adventure full of character”. Sounds intriguing.

2 Likes

Reminds me of this fish I drew… almost 13 (!!!) years ago.

A whole new generation of teenagers has come into existence since I drew that. -_-

3 Likes

Foxtail chapter 2 just came out!

3 Likes

Guard Duty

4 Likes

I gather it’s still not complete, though? At least I could not find any indication on either GOG or Steam, much less on their official website. Want to play this, but not before it’s complete.

I doubt it. :slight_smile:

The Blind Prophet

Demo:

Kickstarter:

3 Likes

Coming this Spring (*fingers crossed*):

This must be my most anticipated game of 2019.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Hey you? Yes you! Guys who always say they want another Ron Gilbert game because they like his humour?

Hey did you know lots of the funny dialogue in Thimbleweed Park was actually written by somebody else? And that somebody else is working on a new game!

:point_down:

9 Likes

I don´t know what happened here, but I guess whatever game @Someone wanted to plug here probably got cancelled! :man_shrugging:

1 Like

No, it is already mentioned above. :slight_smile:

4 Likes