Under development adventure games that are worth a mention

The connect-5-in-a-row game.

That’s correct. It’s not usually used in a nice context; often used in the form “chuchvalec” (with the same meaning) .

A side note, there are similar colloquial words
chrchel (noun) - a ball of phlegm that’s spit out
chrchlat (verb) - to cough out

2 Likes

But from what I have seen in the videos, Chuchel has similar (difficult) puzzles. But we’ll see. :slight_smile:

Currently I’m waiting for Mysteries of Oak Island, which is from the people behind Zak 2 - Between Time And Space and AFAIR the original developers of Visionaire Studio which is als the base of virtually all adventures by Daedalic.

1 Like

Do they develop only one act or could they fully funded their game? I remember that their first Kickstarter wasn’t successful?

… and full of bugs. I hadn’t a game with the Visionaire engine, that didn’t crashed at least once.

According to current status at Kickstarter they have enough money for all 3 planned acts.

I had only 2 times bugs that I noticed - once stuck in a screen in Deponia 2 and once I could skip the scene in Pillars of Earth. That were the only showstoppers I ever noticed. Perhaps I was just lucky.
And again it’s always the question if it’s a problem with the engine itself or in the custom game specific scripts.

OMG, have you seen this?

instant backing for me…

2 Likes

Cool. Do they have a roadmap?

A segmentation fault is the fault of the engine. Or in other words: The engine should be aware that the scripts can’t crash the game - otherwise I would consider it a bug in the engine. :slight_smile: If the script does something that is not allowed, the engine should stop that script and exit with an error message. AFAIR Visionaire uses Lua as the scripting language. The Lua interpreter is known as stable and solid. So it’s likely that these are bugs are in the engine.

Sadly no. The Kickstarter page still speaks of September 2016 which is of course long overdue. But they at least post progress updates about ever 4x a year. From my personal feeling it will take at least another half year until it’s complete, as they still are working on rooms and puzzles.

Yes, a segdault is always a hard error in the engine itself. But I experienced not the hard crashs, I still heard sounds, could click around and in Deponia move around on the screen. If the problem results from improperly set variables, this isn’t engine’s fault, at least not usually.

Edit:
As for the roadmap I found something from September 2016:

Our original plan was to release the first of three chapters at the end of 2016. Looking back, we now know that this would have been doable. Then, with last year’s September update we changed the plan and announced to release the complete game all at once, because we want to give you the whole story. We still think this was the right decision, because this will allow you to play and enjoy the complete adventure without having to wait in between each episodes.

1 Like

I was intrigued by that kickstarter campaign and I’m thankful to the authors because I took the opportunity to read about the real intriguing “Oak Island mystery”. I thought that I might have enjoyed the story of the game and its atmosphere/environments but in the end I decided not to back the project because I got one of those strange irrational feelings about the authors’ ability to lead the project in an organized way. I have zero idea of why I thought that.

Yes. I didn’t like it.

Same here. And after seeing a TV show about the history of the island I doubt that you can build an interesting story and (a lot of) puzzles around it. But we’ll see - maybe I’m completely wrong. :wink:

Same for me. Actually, I had been reading about it before and was eagerly awaiting the campaign. Unfortunately, with only a week to go and sitting at 50%, this does not look good :disappointed:. I really dig the art style.

I must say that Lowlevel’s comment led me to actually try the game and it was a bit confusing. (read: I don’t understand how it works:)) But it looks good.

I rarely try unfinished games (it’s often bad enough come release day), so I’ll mainly rely on the screenshots and description. Both seemed interesting enough.

Wondering if the project might have fared better had they not made the prototype available in those circumstances. Some more regular updates might have helped as well. But then again, wouldn’t be the first P&C adventure I backed that did not reach its goal. Ah well, it’s not over until the fat lady sings, right?

I often don’t have the time to try unfinished games.
But after having completed a finished game I do like to try such old demos/prototypes of a game to see how much has changed from the original idea!

This is well documented in case of Doom with many early alphas and betas. And I tried S.T.A.L.K.E.R. when the first alphas were leaked and it was called “Oblivion Lost”.

I remember having downloaded Half-Live 2 source code when it was leaked during development, but now I can’t find it anymore. I cannot believe I didn’t archive it!

Lamplight City:
http://www.grundislavgames.com/lamplightcity/

4 Likes

The graphics is impressive. This location also:

I think it’s the same artist who made “A golden wake”, but he has improved immensely.

Looking forward to the game.

1 Like

Noted! The general design reminds me of GK1 with the obvious touch of Sherlock Holmes.

And suddenly I remembered this pearl: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/lost-files-of-sherlock-holmes

1 Like