Under development adventure games that are worth a mention

Oh nice! Thanks for posting this. I’ll wait till is out. Pre-orders are silly.

Celeste :-

Celeste Classic :- (It’s free!)

Iconoclasts:-

1 Like

I grew a bit tired of platformers. I wish there were more games like The Cave out there. To me it was the perfect combination of platform action and puzzle solving (plus humor and great soundtrack… damn I love that game :smile: )

1 Like

I didn’t like the soundtrack this much but the concept, the mood and the animations were awesome. Could have been harder. The repetition of the mines was annoying, and so obvious.

Nothing like The Cave but Braid, Exile’s End, Impossible Mission … even Montezuma’s Revenge combine platforming and puzzles to some degree in different ways.

If you had to choose, would you go for Thimbleweed Park or The Cave?

Iconoclasts doesn’t look bad! There are dialogues and it has some Lost Vikings vibes (but much more action oriented). Also there will be different difficulty settings.

Celeste on the other hand…
This screenshot alone gives me nightmares about VVVVVV:

I first start with The Cave, especially when playing with non-gamers or kids.
Then I play Thimbleweed Park.
(Yep, you didn’t use an exclusive or.)

1 Like

:joy: I’m glad it is not just me… that game…

The Cave is unique. But I would go with Thimbleweed Park no doubt. Growing up playing Lucas and Sierra games makes me totally bias towards that genre. No game can beat a good adventure game in my book.

I second that. The Cave is easier than TWP. Although having said that, some of the character-led puzzles are fiddly. But I’d still say it’s easier in terms of working out what you need to do.

Guys don’t go off topic… PLz

Going off topic? We? Never! :scream:

3 Likes

Maybe you should start a new topic for (new) platform games. (Because this thread was originally meant for adventure games…)

Did you play Thimbleweed Park with the controller? It feels closer to an ‘adventure platformer’ already. On the other side, if you spice up the puzzles in The Cave and … there is room for something special between those two games/concepts.

[I’m suprised that Gilbert allowed mods. You could have learned from the mistakes other forums made.]

Yes, I played TWP with a controller. I don’t have a console but I have my PC hooked up to the TV in the living room. Playing TWP on a 50-inch screen with family gathered around was a fantastic experience! (sorry I know this is off-topic again).

A hybrid between those two type of games would be an interesting idea. I wonder if @RonGilbert though about making something like that already…

To bring this back on topic (as futile as this might be), and since I have not seen it listed in this thread:
https://www.gog.com/game/state_of_mind
From what I read, release is planned for Q1 2018, but who knows.

It’s not a classic 2d P&C Adventure (GOG lists Action next to Adventure as it’s genre - oh the horror!), but I am quite intrigued by the story and setting. And I like the artistic direction too.

3 Likes

The designer/project leader of State of Mind made also The Moment of Silence and Overclocked. Overclocked has a good story but bad puzzles. The Moment of Silent is worth a play if you like Science Fiction (and an interesting end :slight_smile: ).

AFAIK it should be similar to Silence and the Telltale games.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve since checked his ludography on Wikipedia; given I never heard of him before, there’s quite a list. When I first read about State of Mind, I was under the impression that his only other game was some acclaimed console game from a while back, so I did not dig deeper. Looked at some of the titles available at GOG too, and found them to have mixed reviews. Seems like he’s pretty good with the themes and stories of his games, but could do better in the gameplay department.

Yep. Exactly. The stories of his games are very good but the puzzles are weak. But I can recommend The Moment of Silence if you like the setting. On Steam you’ll find two more games from him:

I haven’t played The Mystery of the Druids (yet). 15 Days is worth a play if you can get it in a sale for a few bucks. But keep in mind that the puzzles in 15 Days are very simple.

It has been released on GOG too!

2 Likes

Impressive style.

1 Like