Which adventure game puzzle was nerve-racking for you?

In another thread I cited the infamous Goat Puzzle in “Broken Sword - The Shadow of the Templars”.
Back then this puzzle drove several players crazy because, for more than one reason, it was extremely difficult and even a bit unfair, from a certain point of view.

Another puzzle that seriously compromised the mental stability of adventure game players, especially non-american ones, was the Monkey Wrench puzzle in “Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge”.
Ron Gilbert has said “Yeah, I will forever be haunted by that puzzle.”.

Now that the most famous ones have been cited: do you you remember any other puzzle that was nerve-racking for you, for any reason (they were bad puzzles, or they were extremely difficult, or they put a lot of pressure on the player, etc.).

Two puzzles of this kind that I remember in this moment are:

• Several “wire puzzles” in Broken Age, that I hated deeply. Boring to hell, repetitive, uninspired, illogical from a point of view.
  • The “5 in a row” puzzle in Machinarium. Which wasn’t bad, just quite difficult. A friend of mine said: “I want to play an adventure game, not fighting Kasparov”.
2 Likes

It’s too long ago for me to remember specifically which puzzles, but all I can say is that Discworld 1 was a very hard game.

When I first read the title of this thread I wasn’t thinking of this in a negative sense. The very first series of puzzles that came to mind were the ones during the final showdown with LeChuck in MI2, because there was pressure to execute and LeChuck was all scary and mean… so it was nerve-racking.

2 Likes

Well, that was for sure nerve-racking, so I’ll cite this kind of nerve-racking in the post. :slight_smile:

The puzzle in Edna & Harvey: The Breakout, where you have to make to guard leave the monitors is hard. I think I had to use a walkthrough back then, although I was on the right track.

Is that one of the first puzzles?

I’ve played E&H a bit but I’ve never finished it and I don’t remember if I’ve already encountered the puzzle that you are mentioning or not.

You meet the guard relatively early, yes. But to solve the puzzle you have to visit nearly all other rooms in the building fist. I solved the puzzle only somewhere in the middle of the game.

Remember TWP, when you had to unwrap that brick? Oh boy… :smile:

What do you mean?

1 Like

Was it nerve-racking because you spent a lot of time to realize that you had to unwrap it or because you didn’t know what to do to unwrap it?

At the end of MI2 I was sure I had to capture LeChuck’s spit in the martini glass. I just kept trying it thinking I wasn’t clicking fast enough.

I had no reason to unwrap it. I didn’t need the foil until later and I don’t need to unwrap a brick for using it e.g. to smash windows (or slay penguins).
It didn’t occur to me that when they call it brick it may be something else than a brick for building houses.

Any timed puzzle. I like to take my time.

Oh, yes… now I remember… I read your post back then. It just feels strange, since when I have something wrapped, the most spontaneous thought I have is to open the package! :grinning:
So that’s why I asked. I didn’t understand if you were serious or it was a joke :blush:

But now I have another silly question: @ZakPhoenixMcKracken, you really liked this post??
[quote=“Ema, post:8, topic:786”]
What do you mean
[/quote]

So deep… :smiley:

Well, actually it happened in other cases in Ron’s games: you have something in your inventory, but if you look at/open it, it reveals something hidden, and often changes its description

Yeah but most of the time it’s a container like an envelope or a toolbox. Why would I unwrap a brick so that I have red brick dust everywhere in my pants? :slight_smile:

Maybe for a native speaker the meaning of brick is more ambiguously but when looking at Google it doesn’t look like it.

Why would you be given a wrapped brick though during that secret and exclusive meeting? It’s like the history of moon logic in adventure games tripped your common sense. :wink:

Well, if I get an item which clearly states in its description (or in its visual representation) that it is wrapped in tin foil, I immediately think of unwrapping it.

That’s not because I am motivated by any puzzle (although a PnC adventure motivates me to do such things), but because I am curious to see what’s inside.

In my experience, tin foil comes in rolls, not blocks; so seeing it in a block suggests to me that it’s enveloping something.

Thus, upon receiving the block, unwrapping was the first thing I thought of. After that, figuring out how to use it was a matter of encountering that puzzle eventually.

dZ.

Yeah, no adventure player would intentionally put dust in his/her pants.

2 Likes

Yeah but they clearly state it’s a brick. And if you are holding something like this in your hands, even if wrapped in tin foil, you can clearly feel that it’s a brick so I never questioned their judgement :slight_smile:

I just had no intention to unwrap it unless I would either need tin foil or a brick which just didn’t occur until this point.