Which version of Zak McKracken do you suggest I play?

And now, the whole thing starts!
Enjoy!
And remember: every person has his own personality and abilities. Like in Maniac Mansion and Thimbleweed Park

I have to agree with @LowLevel: At the beginning of Zak the story is a little bit weird and you don’t know exactly what to do next. There are only some small (weird) clues. So the game doesn’t guide new players through the first steps. But after you met Annie, the story and the tasks are getting clearer. :slight_smile:

But indeed: In Zak you have to experiment and explore far more as in all later Lucasfilm Games.

@LowLevel if you are at the short irons (*), there is the B plan: “use everything with everything” approach!

(*) literal english translation of an italian way of saying

1 Like

This doesn’t work well, because you have to buy (and sell) things in the shop, there are a lot of objects in the game and you have to fly to different locations to try things out.

btw: The most thing that annoyed me in Zak was the limited amount of money. (And the puzzle chain to get a lot of money is complex.)

I did, around 15 years ago (I was 20 maybe, I don’t remember exactly). The only “cheat” I knew beforehand was a way of earning quite some money, and I did it as soon as possible in order not

However, it turned out useless because I never drew the map in the dream, so when I got stuck with the teleport thing I had to play from scratch, but I already had all my charts with flight connections and what to find everywhere, so I couldn’t waste money anymore.

1 Like

That’s intriguing.

AFAIR you don’t have to solve that puzzle chain. It was optional, because Annie has a cash card too. So the puzzle was intentionally meant to be difficult.

Non-spoiler-hint: Don’t panic if you get kidnapped. (And write everything down what you see. :wink: )

But it´s also a case of “there is a voodoo lady in this game?” so just explore the right side of a room even if you think a lot has happened there already!

That makes it even more intriguing.

Do you mean again? I was put in the mindbending machine and I have returned to that place to take the blue crystal back.

Yes - but not as you think. :wink:

btw: You can avoid being put in the mindbending machine.

Exactly, there are many ways to get money. One in particular gives you a lot of money. And is not really needed. You can get money even if you are lucky.

Anyway, now you have to travel wherever you want, explore. It’s not a linear game, you can make mistakes, and find remedies, like in the real life.

1 Like

Remember what I told you about the Ringwraiths.

1 Like

I have to play it again. I don’t remember anything.

Do you all realize that the three top things are colored vacuum tubes, right?

4 Likes

Whatever you say, man…

Do you know what they do?

If I can trust that newspaper, then I know what they do.

Whooops…well how´s your dandruff doing?

Trying to eat sushi.

Oh no! :scream:

(btw read the newspaperstands for easter eggs, they change throughout the game)

I have to ask this because I need to understand which kind of adventure game this is and if I have to modify my overall approach:

Would you say that the actions that the player does in this game are usually based more on intuition than on logical deduction?

The reason why I ask this is that I still don’t see the typical adventure game framework that I’m familiar with. In all adventure games that I have played and that were based on “archaeological mysteries” (Indiana Jones, Lost Horizon, Broken Sword, etc.) you solve a big puzzle and the solution gives you a quite explicit information about where to go next or what to do next. More generally, the story leads you to an obvious next step.

Instead, now I’m SF and I know that my big goal is to get crystals. I think that I will move to a specific place but I am just guessing that it might be a good place to be. But it’s just a guess, I’m not going there with a specific purpose in mind. I have no idea why I should go there, I simply saw three unrelated things that cited this place and I have decided to go there.

Is this how the game works? Do you guess and try more than you find answers to questions that tell you what to do next? Or am I just missing the explicit clues about what to do next?

1 Like