Which version of Zak McKracken do you suggest I play?

Exactly. :slight_smile: It was backported for the FMTowns- and the VGA-CD-version of MI1.

I guess I played the 12 verb version then, because I have never seen the inventory icons for MI1 until I played the classic version on the Special Edition.

Zak is twice as hard as monkey 2. I haven’t finished it, far from it. I started over after 20+ years, and I haven’t even been able to even reach the point I had reached . It needs a lot of dedication.

Thanks for the information. It’s not a reassuring one, because in this period I prefer more casual adventure games, but I could consider Zak a parallel long-term goal while playing also other games.

1 Like

Hint: In that case it’s important to write down some notes of what you have done and what you have seen. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And what you have heard :grinning:

1 Like

To be honest on my last playthrough I just photographed/filmed those parts with my phone. Made it much faster and easier.

About the visual clues, can I just take screenshots or it’s necessary to take notes? I don’t mind taking notes but if a screenshot is also a good solution I might prefer that.

You know, take the advantage that you play in 2017. It makes stuff easier especially if you´re not much of a drawer.

Well, the answer to that would include a little spoiler. :slight_smile: I would say it this way: In Monkey Island 2 there is this “bone song”. How would you write the song down (if Guybrush wouldn’t do that already)? Would you do a screenshot every line, would you film it or would you write it down?

3 Likes

OK, thanks, I’ll take notes for that kind of information that wouldn’t be convenient to keep/save as screenshots. :slight_smile:

In some instances, you need to take note of certain sequences. You would need to take a video for that, if you prefer that over writing a few words down.

@LowLevel, begin the game, then you’ll find the best way. There are visual things to remember. Back then, I had to write them down. Now you can cheat use your mobile and take a picture.

1 Like

Text editors also work great for most of this stuff.

Paper and pencil are still the best tools :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yep. I still make notes with pen and paper. It’s faster and quicker (especially if you run the game in fullscreen mode).

1 Like

NOOOO!!! Don’t use a walkthrough. You know you’ll have to wait another 25 years for another P&C game from Fox, Winick & Gilbert. So what if you get stuck for a few days or weeks. Mind that most of us played it as kids, which adds to the difficulty. And even then, we beat the game.

Anyway, regarding the version: just buy the GOG, so you are absolved for downloading the C64 version and running that in SCUMMVM, which is the closest you can get to how it was intended to be played. Don’t let the extra colors or music of the other versions fool you- they look equally dated today anyway and less charming than the only version you are sure of that it was Gary putting the pixels one by one with a joystick and David programming those sound effects: C64!

2 Likes

Funny you should mention that. I remember hitting pause and transcribing the whole bone song the very first time I played MI2. After all Guybrush literally says “I’d better write this down”. (I think I even had to remember the two or three verses before he said this). Only later, I saw he actually transcribed it himself. In Zak, that wasn’t possible with that technology… oh wait he did - with the “I’d better make a drawing of that map I saw.” So I did before figuring out an early puzzle that will make him draw the map for you. I guess it proves I was raised in a time before auto-mapping, auto-transcribing, auto-saving and auto-solving puzzles and auto-completing the game.

4 Likes

Yes, but only there.

I don’t like these auto-mapping features because it makes the puzzles easier (or in some cases obsolete).

I find it a little annoying that you have to to go through the entire Sphinx with both Annie and Zak. If she looks at the map she says something like “Zak better write this down” but only he writes it down himself, which doesn´t seem to make too much sense when people mindlink during the rest of the game. But that´s really a minor nitpick.

1 Like