Which version of Zak McKracken do you suggest I play?

Except the jungle mazes. Even an automap can’t beat that one!

Why, because they´re not really mazes at all?

Yes. :slight_smile: I really tried to draw a map of the jungle.

1 Like

No, they are mazes all right. In the sense that you do get lost in them. But an automatic maze solving algorithm typically traverses in a systematic way, e.g. by taking the first path on the left each time. Which would not work here. I think most walkthroughs back then didn’t even realize the real key to beating that maze. Myself, I only learned it’s secret after @David mentioned it on the blog.

1 Like

We all did, we all did!

1 Like

I think that you only get lost when you go through the same door you entered, if you always go through a new door and never turn back you will always arrive. I don´t think if that´s a maze or just a trick.

2 Likes

It sure makes one hell of a tricky maze

1 Like

I think the most annoying one of the entire game is the mexican pyramid, even though the torches help a little, followed by parts of the Mars Labyrinth. As for the Sphinx, is there even a hint anywhere in the game or the newspaper to how this works? Or do you just have to follow the suns by intuition?

Not intuition as much as education. Or probably playing Total Eclipse the same year helped too.

Of course, I mean intuition based on the knowledge about the role the sun had in ancient egyptian culture of course!

There are plenty of PDFs of the official Zak hintbook online. Since they’re no longer being sold anywhere (AFAIK), here’s a link to one. It includes maps and shortcuts of the mazes.

6 Likes

Thanks, I checked those out a while ago, they´re really good written. I´m not sure if they were translated at all into other languages, I didn´t know about them back in the day.

I don’t recall them being translated. The Zak book was written, I believe, by our chief Zak play tester, Judith Lucero Turchin, who knew the game better than I did. And she had a great sense of humor, totally “getting” Zak.

1 Like

It shows, it´s a good read!

I missed that one! :scream: Does somebody recall which blog entry it was??? Thanks!

It is part of the GOG download, thus basically being sold, just not separately.

1 Like

Ah, good move on their part.

I’m starting to think that Lucas developers had an homicidal thing with small furry animals. I tried to poke a two-headed squirrel with a tree branch and Zak “accidentally” killed it/him/her/them.

I had to load a previous savegame to lead Zak towards a more peaceful solution.

Regardless of the specific event, has Zak violent tendencies?

1 Like

I wouldn’t say. Which version are you playing, in the end?

529281_200x130

That’s impossible!

1 Like