Why all threads are going off-topic?

I just don’t know how to create another thread or link to a new or existing topic.
I asked the spambot or what’s his name. Perhaps it’s because I usually read and post using my phone, which is more difficult to use for the more advanced features.
Why is nobody really annoyed by off-topics? Because we are only 10 to 20 regular posters. Which is not that much, I think? No idea actually, since this is the first forum I actually ever read so extensively or posted on. Even strictly moderated forums can be pretty daunting if you only discover them years later.
Also, luckily, there is no “duplicate question”, “learn to search, you stupid”, “what do you mean EXACTLY”- mentality as on sites like stackexchange here.

That’s very easy.

Visualize the post you want to reply to. In the upper right corner of it there is an indication of when the post was published. Click/tap that number and then click/tap the text “+ New Topic”.

Just normally write your reply but before confirming it, clicking the “Reply” button, move to another existing thread that you think it’s more appropriate (the reply window will stay open).

Then click the “Reply” button on that other thread and Discourse will ask you in which thread you want to post your reply.

On mobile it’s a little more difficult, but possible.

3 Likes

Wow, thanks! That works indeed, even on mobile - although navigating to another thread is a bit more difficult with the small screen and the huge banner and reply tab leaving only a very small part for the thread/posts. Same reason it is pretty difficult to quote multiple times in a single reply.

There is such a concentration indeed. I just took a look at the users list, sorted by the post count. The counts of the top-listed users demonstrate what is possible. I was obviously less active here, but I still rank among the top 13 - to my surprise. That said, it’s great that there are such active users here, even though they (or shall I say “we”?) are only few. If I had had enough time, I would have been more active here, too.

Few frequent posters currently provide the largest quantity of posts but it’s interesting to point out that in the last week about 60 people wrote at least one post. That’s not bad.

I hope that, slowly and in time, more people will decide to join the forum. Those who will decide to write something will always be a small percentage if compared to those who will lurk, but that’s normal.

The indicator of good health of the forum is to have fun and possible to grow a bit over time (which is happening, albeit in a slow way). I don’t expect this forum to grow very much (we are a very particular class of adventure gamers) but I wouldn’t focus on quantity over quality. :slight_smile:

Also, if you are interested in stats, you can find some at the bottom of the About page.

1 Like

I’ve read the conversation once more.
I like some OT, they are often entertaining, and exposed in a friendly way.

But I have a mental order since I follow all this from more than two years.

For a person that approach the forums for the first time, is there the chance he would be disoriented by all those messages (and OTs)?
Well, how could I say no. So probably if we use the link feature (the little chain as LowLevel suggested) that would be a good thing for new users.
The only limit I think that belongs to the Discourse platform is the choice of not displaying the threads in pages into the cathegories. Then you have this unfinished list of topics, and it seems chaotic to me… While pages remind me of an order, also an order of time.

As someone who has been in lots of forums during his life I can only say this discussion and argument has come up in everyone of them. Every.Single.One. It always comes up once a community has been established, and the problem is probably not as big as it seems (at least it didn´t seem to be, on the occasions where I was just a lurker and developed a technique of selective reading). Also I don´t think it can be entirely avoided.

One good idea would be some sort of FAQ section though, where people can get their answers fast.

I like the American way of ordering the columns :stuck_out_tongue:

You must be new.
:laughing:

3 Likes

I’ll pretend to be new just to be on the safe side ;-).

2 Likes