All about books!

Finished the biggest part of The Art of Point + Click Adventure Games (when I first got it, I only looked at the pictures). It could have done with a bit of proofreading and a slightly larger font, but overall I enjoyed it a lot.

One thing it succeeded in was raising some appreciation even for the games I have not and will not play, for one reason or another. There were also a few games I had not heard about before, or perhaps already forgotten, and that was nice too.

If there is something to criticize, it’s perhaps the overabundance of LucasArts related games and interviews in comparison to the rest. My feeling is they take up close to 50% of the book, and while those people and games are clearly amongst my favourites (or else I would not be here in the first place), I thought it gave a bit of a skewed view on the genre as a whole. Related to that is how sparsely “modern” adventure games are covered. I guess there were only so much pages, and it may have made sense to concentrate on the classics more, but it gives the impression that the heydays of the genre are long over, when clearly they are not. That also leaves German developers in the dust: while we have 4 games from Daedalic covered (but not Memoria, and not a single interview) and King Art gets an honourable mention in the beginning, there’s not a word about Deck13 or Studio Fizbin, for example.

Overall, it’s a book well worth buying for any fan of the genre, though. And maybe there’s the chance for a sequel, 20 years from now, to cover the modern “classics” :slight_smile:.

1 Like