All about books!

The Light Fantastic is definitely the direct sequel to The Color of Magic and both contain the same Rincewind. I felt that in much later books, his character was changed a bit, but perhaps it was just that he no longer got the leading role.

Me too. In fact, were I to re-read the novels right now, I’d likely only read the Witches stuff, and perhaps Pyramids. I’d also have to get the English version of Equal Rites, as that’s one of the few which I only ever read in German. They are so much better in English.

2 Likes

I don’t know, cowardly wizards can also experience character growth? :wink: But since Discworld 2 came out in '96 I guess that’s the most recent Rincewind I know. He seemed pretty Rincewinde-y to me! :laughing:

He doesn´t seem to appear in Mort at all. That is clearly a stand alone story.

Mort belongs to the “Death” stories:

AFAIK Rincewind appears only in books with his storyline.

Sure, but the storylines aren´t indicated, only the Discworld Series as a whole of which Mort is Volume 4.

According to my notes, I read Mort some five years ago. (Whoa, time flies.)

Anyway…

Oh, what a boring cover, I´m so sorry! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Haha, yeah, the ones from America are definitely something else. I picked up a bunch at Barnes & Noble or something.

My thought as well. It’s not the real thing if the cover isn’t done by Josh Kirby. Took me some pains to find an appropriately old copy of Equal Rites, and I’m still a bit worried it might not be the right one. We’ll see when it arrives.

1 Like

Couldn’t resist :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I especially like the ASUS touch.

1 Like

I’m going OT, but it isn’t a nice experience, indeed. It happened to me with a rented car, 3 months ago. It was not a book, but a windshield. It was not a coffee, but a crack in the glass. It was present upon renting, but not marked on the contract.
Well, I don’t wanna make it a matter of money, but… I’d rather preferred to cope with a book! :sweat_smile:

Mine has even glittery lettering! :smiley:

1 Like

Why not pile on many more layers…

3 Likes

…and you´ll be joining us there :notes:

2 Likes

I knew that some Pratchett fan would find a section where Rincewind appears. :wink:

I finished the book now and it is very brief.

It was great fun, but as so often I´m moving to other universes now. Somehow I just can´t manage reading 40 books by the same author in a row anymore.:upside_down_face:

Due to this topic I read Wyrd Sisters and most of Pyramids this weekend, while enjoying a virus which is still with me. It’s a fairly weak virus, but there’s some throat hurting and lack of energy and all that.

Finished the biggest part of The Art of Point + Click Adventure Games (when I first got it, I only looked at the pictures). It could have done with a bit of proofreading and a slightly larger font, but overall I enjoyed it a lot.

One thing it succeeded in was raising some appreciation even for the games I have not and will not play, for one reason or another. There were also a few games I had not heard about before, or perhaps already forgotten, and that was nice too.

If there is something to criticize, it’s perhaps the overabundance of LucasArts related games and interviews in comparison to the rest. My feeling is they take up close to 50% of the book, and while those people and games are clearly amongst my favourites (or else I would not be here in the first place), I thought it gave a bit of a skewed view on the genre as a whole. Related to that is how sparsely “modern” adventure games are covered. I guess there were only so much pages, and it may have made sense to concentrate on the classics more, but it gives the impression that the heydays of the genre are long over, when clearly they are not. That also leaves German developers in the dust: while we have 4 games from Daedalic covered (but not Memoria, and not a single interview) and King Art gets an honourable mention in the beginning, there’s not a word about Deck13 or Studio Fizbin, for example.

Overall, it’s a book well worth buying for any fan of the genre, though. And maybe there’s the chance for a sequel, 20 years from now, to cover the modern “classics” :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Finally read Dan Simmons’ Olympos, after initially passing it by due to some review(s) I’d read right after finishing Ilium. It’s not half as bad as the reviewer made it to be. In fact, it’s quite good, if perhaps not bringing the foundation laid out by Ilium to full fruition. (It’s better in that regard than Endymion is compared to Hyperion, though)

But Simmons is certainly a writer who can build and maintain suspense over most of the 950+ pages, making it one of very few books I found hard to put down in recent years. And it’s very imaginative (if not really original, but what is these days?). Recommended!

1 Like