All about books!

Ah, regarding Regensburg… do you know if those are efficient?
https://shop.mosquitocontrol.eu/en/Against-Tiger-Mosquitoes/BG-Mosquitaire-against-tiger-mosquitoes.html
They have been developed by the local University. (sorry for the off topic)

I have no idea.

So who’s Joe R Lansdale?

So is the game to guess your best books from those years?

I love that book, and avatar :slight_smile:

I’ve not read that but one of my favourite quotes comes from it:
‘It was as dark as a truckload of assholes.’

I don’t actually think I’ve read that one… I’m too scared to Google it in case it tells me the twist! Is it a short story?

The guy who wrote Bubba Ho Tep?

I´d actually love to have a copy with that cover. Too bad it´s only on a british hardcover from 1991 (while the american original has just a photo of a guy who weirdly looks like Guy Pearce).

It´s from The Illustrated Man collection, so I think you should know it.

I’ve never heard of that, but just read a synopsis and it sounds amazing!

I’m pretty sure my paperback has that cover… I just went to look but think it’s at my mum’s, tut. But still too bad for you I guess :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here are my versions of some we’ve been discussing – could be interesting to compare. The one I’ve had to strategically overlap is Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk. It was great reading that on the train…

I’ve also just remembered that Choke is the one I got signed at the reading. It’s an ex-library book. He obviously didn’t know that and asked why it was covered in plastic :expressionless:

Oh, I have read it then. I’ve Googled it now – it seems vaguely familiar. I remember others more from that set of stories (and they’ve appeared in other of his books too I guess). Oh I’ve just remembered Kaleidoscope :cry:

1 Like

Hey, there was one :stuck_out_tongue: Funniest books you've ever read

But it was centered on suggestions on humorous books, because I like to laugh, and it’s very difficult to find humorous novels, and also because I like to write, but I like to write comedic stuff, and reading funny books gives me inspiration.

Books I have read and have absolutly zero recollections of.

Jonathan Franzen - The Corrections
Henry Miller - Tropic Of Cancer
Gael Garcia Marquez - 100 Years of Solitude

:open_book: :man_shrugging:

Or of the author, it seems :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And you also know who I was thinking of? :wink:

You mean with ‘Gael’? No, I don’t…

Anyone?

:laughing: What a coincidence…
I did the opposite when I was talking to my wife about the actor Gael García Bernal, I accidentally called hom Gabriel Garcia Marquez :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

I always have to think real hard not to make those mistakes when talking about either of them.

I´m just glad there is no way to mix up the names of the director of 12 Years A Slave and the lead actor of Bullit…

1 Like

Sorry, I forgot about replying about him…
I thought of him since, like Palahniuk and Bukowski he’s american, and he’s a somehow pulp-ish novelist. He writes books very different from each other (from hard-boiled to psycho-noir, to western, to science fiction) with a dry humour I love. He is famous for the series of Hap and Leo. These books are maybe the lightests he wrote, with a strong comedic line. They’re about a couple of detectives. One is eterosexual, democratic and white. The other is black, gay and republican.
They often quarrel about politics, especially while they’re hard beating up some bad guy.

No, that would be too hard! :smile: the game is for me, to find one book for every year!

Thanks, his stuff sounds interesting :slightly_smiling_face:

Ohhhh :grinning: let us know what you come up with.

I read The Prague Cemetery after being to the actual place in Prague, last year in December:

I thumbed through The Island of the Day Before in bookstores a few times, but never really found a passage that has made me want to continue reading.

I write non-fiction books for a living… if you’re interested in hip-hop at all, check them out! -

I mainly read non-fiction, the last thing I read was “The Musical Artistry of Rap” by Martin Connor.
The last novel I read was “Ready Player One” which I enjoyed, haven’t seen the movie of it yet…

2 Likes

To bad my dad writes in german only, otherwise I´d plug him here, too.

2 Likes

Do it nevertheless!

So I have an excuse to plug mine.

1 Like

There is a new Stephen King short story out that was put on his official website for free distribution and sharing.

It´s only about 36 pages and divided into like 10 chapters. I could read it, if you like and upload one chapter at a time.