All about books!

Doesn´t sound bad! Plus people say that arthritis might be the number one rock guitarist illness of the future, so that is a good thing too! :+1:

3 Likes

That’s a lot of horror! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Just finished reading Tuesdays with Morrie,
I have to admit that it is quite the book I was looking for in Non-Fiction… I seriously cried as I reached the last pages… I highly recommend u guys to give it a try…
P.S. “Love others, or Perish”

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder. A couple other people told me I should read that, so I should put it on my list.

I’m currently reading a fairly bleak (but good) book called The Toughest Indian in the World. It’s a collection of short stories from the perspective of an American Indian. Very interesting but very intense for bedtime reading!

I’ll have to try Tuesdays with Morrie next.

1 Like

Hey, I like that stuff just fine too. :wink:

That being said, on that particular collection I’d just stick to the $1 one if I got it.

1 Like

Most important part:

(I may have to remove this in case this violates copyrights)

That reminds me a bit of the Grimms fairytale about a cat that takes revenge.

Though in this cat I mean case it’s obviously a very accurate snapshot of the future.

See

For a second there, I wished there was a video of that and then I remembered why it wouldn´t work! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like

Gotta try that one out! I love everything related to my country… I will try it in Christmas holidays :christmas_tree::santa::bell::snowflake:

2 Likes

Haha, yeah, if he drove around in it I definitely would’ve filmed it :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

In this case it’s not about your country.:slight_smile:

It’s written by an American Indian from the Pacific Northwest with roots to the Spokane tribe.

Maybe not too far from Thimbleweed county :reyes:

1 Like

@TaarakVakil: Happens to the best of us. Who could have known that a film titled “The World’s Fastest Indian” isn’t about a marathon runner from Mumbai either :blush:.

3 Likes

The Ray Bradbury Story “The Crowd” concerns itself with a topic that is still relevant unfortunately today.

And that are crowds of gathering to stare at street or road accidents. Written in the 1940s this might have been very topical with the automobile traffic and consequently accidents increasing in significant numbers.

At the heart of the story is the thought that all these onlookers are always the same people arriving at accidents faster than you can open your eyes, always saying the same thing and in the worst case scenarios moving the body, greatly endangering the survival of the victim.

There is not a huge twist per se, since the core message is very clear early on and you can see what will happen to the main character very early on.

And it is a thing even more of a problem these days where everyone has a cellphone and filming, with police and ambulance asking for greater penalties since they say it really makes it difficult for them to get through and do their work, again putting lives that could be saved at great risk.

Maybe this story is ripe for a modernised adaptation!

3 Likes

Fun fact about this anthology: At least two Twilight Zone episodes are contained therein. Namely “It´s A Good Life” and “The Howling Man”.

2 Likes

I haven´t read anything by George R.R. Martin before so The Sandkings was a nice surprise. I guess the best way to tell it is him is the naming of the characters. Some of those names sure have to have come from the mind who thought up “Tyrone Lannister” and such.
It´s a tale about a god complex, treatment of animals and I guess also responsiblity over children and them growing up when you think about it.

It´s set on a distant planet colonised by humans in the future, I guess (looks like he has more stories set in that universe) and is about a very cruel guy who buys the titular Sandkings (intelligent bug like creatures who have a tendency to worship humans) to keep in a big tank in his home for fun. At first he wants them to have war among each other for his sake but eventually ends up feeding them friends of his. But when they break out and grow at a rapid pace chaos ensues.

2 Likes

Could this be the same universe as in Tuf Voyaging? I quite liked that one.

Yes, that seems to be one of those.

It also seems that Sandkings was the first episode of the 90s Outer Limits, though it seems to differ greatly from the story.

Having had a couple of weeks without any interesting books on hand (I already had to resort to reading one I got as a present), I stumbled across this little bit about Jack Vance (in German, sorry):

Having liked his prose and wild imagination in the Dying Earth stories, I ordered a couple more of his books. Too bad they’re only available used …

I’ve also got an appetite for some good ol’ Sword & Sorcery stuff, along the lines of Dragonlance, perhaps. Any recommendations?