All about books!

Yeah, I just looked at the first pages of the book again, where all the entries of the Moorcock Collection are listed, and there’s quite a lot of them :slight_smile:.

I guess it’s a bit like starting with Terry Pratchett now. There’s no knowing what the right order might be just from looking at the book titles; and even when reading The Witches, or Rincewind, or Vimes or Death in chronological order, there are probably some bits that build upon novels not part of that particular series.

Today’s authors definitely make it easier, releasing well-ordered and clearly numbered series :slight_smile:. (Though I did accidentally start A Song of Ice and Fire with book 2. Going back, the biggest surprise was perhaps that all those past characters being mentioned where actually alive at the start of the series :wink:)

I would say if you wanna get all the in jokes about the world, then just reading them all in published order is a good idea. But if you wanna follow some of the plots like Rincewind and the Witches, where stories often built upon each other more than others, reading them in their subseries order is better because sometimes they are just too far apart for you to be able to properly follow it. At least for my memory. :sweat_smile:

I guess that´s why Peter Jackson changed the structure of The Two Towers because he knew people would ask themselves where all those other characters are for half the movie. :wink:

Haha, I guess you can just consider it a prequel then!

1 Like

Finished Elric Of Melniboné (1972) and thought it was simply amazing!

The premise is one of the coolest things I´ve ever seen in fantasy fiction. Especially if you consider the time it was made. The story itself is a fairly simple one which means you can get instantly into. I also really like Moorcock´s easy to get into writing style. It´s like reading a comic but still with fine language. But it´s to the point and all serving a greater narrative. But while the story is simple it has twists and turns you wouldn´t expect.

So what do you get in the first story?

• Incestuous love triangles!
  • Torture!
  • Ironic revenge plots!
  • Sea Battles!
  • Family Betrayal!
  • Demon Summonings!
  • Battles of sentient swords!

I frankly can´t wait to get through the other books in the series, this is some great stuff!

There are also fore- and afterwords that explain the greater idea behind the whole series which makes these stories more interesting on a grand scale. The whole idea of inverting the genre conventions while paying loving tribute to them while still creating something new and original and be highly entertaining at that is a truly great feat. I get why this is regarded as such a classic and I´m loving it so far!

3 Likes

So the order I read these books in is not the written (or released) order but the generally accepted internal chronology (in that order I laid down the volumes on my table in the photo a bit above).

That means the second volume I read was “The Fortress of the Pearl” which was released way later but takes places after the first novel and concerns Elrics journeys outside of his own kingdom. That second book is perfectly alright even though it is more of a sidestory with completly different characters that only appear in that. It however sets up at the ending for a very late sequel trilogy that was only written a couple of years ago. But I liked the arabian inspired setting and it was interesting that the majority took place in some sort of Dante-esque dreamrealm.

The third book which I only just started is where things begin to get crazy! “Sailor on the Seas Of Fate” is a three part story originally consisting of 3 short stories that were linked to a short novel. I only read the first third now but it opens open the world of Moorcock´s multiverse immensely.

In it Elric encounters three other Avatars of the Eternal Champion namely Erekosë, Hawkmoon and Corum each of whom have their own subseries (at least a trilogy each) of novels with stories about adventures in their own worlds! Together they sail to another plane to fight a being that threatens the fabric of all the multiverse which they only can defeat by uniting their powers.

I feel this is the part where things really start to get going. This was released in the mid 70s and back then it was the second in the chronlogical sequence. The volume I have is followed by 4 of the earliest short stories about Elric including the very first “The Dreaming City” released in 1961.

Really curious to see where this is going because at this point it could go anywhere. I really don´t believe that it´s possible that Stephen King wasn´t influenced by this for his Dark Tower series.

Update after finishing half of the books because I´m not allowed to add another reply:

Finished the third volume which contains the novel Sailor On The Seas Of Fate as well as stories that used to make up the collection Weird Of The White Wolf.

The second story of “Sailor” had elements of The Mummy (Boris Karloff) and Dracula (by Francis Ford Copolla) with love and reincarnation.

The third story previously known as “The Jade Man´s Eyes” detailed more origins of The Melnibonés and their bonding with the demon lords of chaos. As well as an early example of Elric losing control over Stormbringer.

The short stories that follow include the very first one “The Dreaming City” which funnily enough is too spoiler heavy for me to detail here. Let´s just say it set the stage for the rest of Elric´s journey out of the Dragon Isle and into the Young Kingdoms.

It also is a typical early story as the following ones in that Elric more often than not does not get what he sets out to find. Moorcock had a concept of conciously inverting heroic fantasy tropes and while the Dreaming City is super dark in that the other ones like While The Gods Laugh show some of the dark and ironic humour some of those tales can have. This one and The Singing Citadel also introduce Elric´s rather comical sidekick Moonglum who will follow him on many journeys to come.

Next up is “The Sleeping Sorceress” another novel from the 70s. And two more after that.

I really love this series so far!

Some of the afterwords of my edition even detail about some of the Faustian and even Freudian undertones of those tales. They make a lot of sense actually even though I mostly saw some allegories on hard drugs like heroin in this so far. But there is obviously much more to this.

3 Likes

We can’t have that, can we!? :slight_smile:

Anyway, this all sounds like I should definitely reconsider and get those books; having a couple spares for vacation time certainly won’t hurt.

And now that I’m here I might as well give a brief update about the stuff I’ve read.
Long done with the The Tower of Fools (and now waiting for the reprints of the 2nd and 3rd volume). I always thought it would be historical fiction, but that’s not the case. It’s quite fantastical, although I guess it limits itself to period correct mythology and superstition. But with that it goes wild! In all other aspects, it is much like the Witcher, so if you like one you’ll probably like the other.

Also did a bit of a refresh of my Greek mythology with Madeline Miller’s Circe. I don’t even know where all that latent knowledge came from, but I guess it’s a mix of 80s action movies (Clash of the Titans comes to mind specifically – the original, not the remake!) and some classical reading. Then a bit of a refresher with Dan Simmons’ Ilium. Long story short, there wasn’t much new to learn here, but it was quite well written, and seeing all those stories unfold through the eyes of Circe gave them a fresh perspective nevertheless. And now to top it off with season 2 of 50 Shades of Greek :slight_smile:!

Finally, Tad Williams’ The Heart of What Was Lost, which bridges the gap between the old and new Osten Ard books. I’ve read what’s available of the new Osten Ard last year, and based on that I wasn’t expecting much, but it’s actually okay and in my view more true to what I’d call Williams’ style than what follows after. Still a long way from the Shadowmarch series, which I find the best he’s come up with to date.

2 Likes

Yeah, thanks for replying. Means I can add more now when I´m done with the remaining three books! :smile:

I read one of his books in the 90’s and wasn’t impressed (who knows why). But I’ll always love Moorcock for his work with Hawkwind, one of my favourite bands. Few years ago I saw them live and witnessed Sonic Attack which he wrote. That was one hell of a show. One of my best experiences in life (and certainly during live rock concerts).
Here’s a version which they did in 2014 with Brian Blessed reading.

2 Likes

Wonderful! Having Brian Blessed in your song is always a good thing (see Queen) !

The rock and metal connection was a big reason for me to finally pick up some Moorcock. Bands such as Diamond Head, Tygers Of Pan Tang, Cirith Ungol, Blind Guardian and more reference the Eternal Champion works. As you´ve said he was also involved with Hawkwind and Blue Öyster Cult who he wrote lyrics that are reference his own creations as well.

My favourite is this tune by Blue Öyster Cult which was featured in the Heavy Metal movie in 1981.

In the meantime I finished “The Sleeping Sorceress”. I don´t know what version @kaiman has read but my edition is an admittedly bad introduction to the series.

I liked the novel itslelf, but in my version it is for some reason framed by at first glance seemingly unrelated or only distantly related stories. Some concern themselves with sidecharacters others with other incarnations of the Eternal Champion. One is about Alexander The Great and another is a spy story set in occupied france in WWII. The links to the overall work become clear but they don´t contribute anything at all to the Elric saga and as such feel like filler in this.

But the Novel itself was nice. It features a brief excursion into the Multiverse and a crossover with another novel that as I´ve read apparently neatlly paralells the events there (meaning you could read the same scenes side by side from different perspectives).

Above that the story is a neat collection of more or less loosley connected adventure stories that at some point also more deeply explose Elrics relationship with some of the characters and his place between the Lords of Chaos and even the Lords of Law this time. So while it is not the most essential story in the saga some aspects deepen the lore and characters in a way I wouldn´t say this is exactly skippable either. And and enjoyable read it was in any case!

Two more volumes to go now!

1 Like

Same as yours. So yeah, this explains a lot.

I picked it up on a whim when getting Dancers, and went by what title sounded most appealing, assuming each story would stand on its own anyway. Which they apparently do, they’re just not the kind of stories I had been expecting.

On a totally unrelated note: Humble currently has a comic book bundle that for once isn’t Marvel or DC. While I’m not really a fan of reading books in electronic form, the collection seemed cheap enough to make up for the lack of paper. Quite a lot of works from Alejandro Jodorowsky in there; and other good stuff too. Still runs for about a week …

1 Like

I think it would really help if they had numberings like the DAW editions had (the third Elric Novel, The fourth Elric Novel etc).

Besides it would also be nice if they had actual cover illustrations instead of tiny pictures of cover illustrations.

DAW 1977

Gollancz 2014

Unfortunatly there has never been a proper english Omnibus edition. However there has been a german one by Heyne released in 1984. 6 books in one 1000ish page volume.

It includes the six 1977 DAW volumes in german in the same correct chronological order without too many distracting non related side stuff forming a more easily to follow narrative. Only Fortress Of The Pearl and Revenge Of The Rose are missing which hadn´t been released yet by that time. If that was in english too and actually in print I think I´d recommend that over the 6 volume Gollancz sequence that I´m currently reading.

Don’t get me started on book covers :slight_smile: . Though to be fair, I find those new covers at least have a certain elegance to them, even though they are fairly unremarkable.

It’s obviously not in English, but it’s available 2nd hand:

Or here

But I’ll probably go with the Gollancz releases, to match the two books I already have. It’s always a horror for me when publishers change the cover and/or format halfway through a series.

1 Like

I wish it had more languages than English though. Especially since most of these are French. (Or possibly all, but I don’t want to do research on it.)

Unfortunately my current Izneo subscription doesn’t quite overlap with all of these either.

I was a bit confused by the artificial used look(those blackish corners), but that´s apparently popular with UK publishers of fantastic literature.

I like the colours and they look good next to each other on the shelf, but full size art would really have been nicer.

Yeah if it was in english I´d really gotten that instead. My reading guide would be too look up the stories contained inside and then read the stories from the Gollancz edition in the order they are printed there! :smile:

This goes back for me to the time when I read Stephen King in german and I couldn´t do anything about the fact that two different publishers (Bastei Lübbe and Heyne) owned the rights and thus the design was vastly different. :sweat_smile:

Yeah, I´m a big fan of the french sci-fi comics (Moebius, Druillet, Bilal, Caza etc.) and I´d also prefer the original language if I spoke it I guess.

1 Like

I don’t just prefer to read the original French, but on average the Dutch translation of French comics is also better than the English translation. I’m guessing it’s because Belgian comic culture is kind of bilingual.

Side note, apparently Izneo only has L’Incal, Final Incal, Après L’Incal, Avant L’Incal, Meta-Baron, etc. in French.

But Griffes d’Ange (Angel Claws) isn’t included with my subscription. That one’s paid, €6 to be precise.

Very close to finishing the Elric Series!

Last I finished was Revenge Of The Rose which is a bit of an oddball novel, which is not only tonally and stylistically different but also because it features mostly characters and events that weren´t mentioned before or after in the series. It helps to know that it was published in the early 90s and written long after all the other books in the series (safe Fortress Of The Pearl which came out 2 years earlier). It was still a fun read, even if an aquired taste if you´re used to the rest of what these stories read like.

The most important part in my volume however is that it includes the content of the story collection of Bane Of The Black Sword which set up the events for the final novel in the sequence in which Elric has settled down with a new wife and considers his connection with his sword mostly finished due to the new herbs he has discovered to sustain him. Those are all fine brief adventure stories and the set the stage for what is the come.

Right now I´m in the middle of the final book: Stormbringer! :zipper_mouth_face:

To be concluded…

2 Likes

Finished my reading of Stormbringer and the whole Elric Of Melniboné cycle.

Wow, just wow. Yeah I think it´s safe to say that just this final volume is one of THE must-reads if you´re into epic sword and sorcery fantasy but also if you´re kind of fed up with all of its clichées.

Up to this point I was firmly convinced with the the way this series is told it would work better as a TV series and I stand by that but if that happens, oh boy. I dearly hope they follow it up with a Stormbringer movie, I´d just love to see on the big screen what I just read there!

In the final confrontation between law and chaos you got big epic battles on the grandest scale, you got several smaller quests for plot driving treasure items, many instances of plots thwarted and great tragedy, and element that even reminded me a bit of Never-Ending Story funnily enough and oh so much carnage and sudden dark turns of events!

I absolutely love this one and I can easily see why it generally seen as the best part of the series so if you only read one book let it be Stormbringer! However the impact of what happens in it is certainly stronger when you read the short stories preceeding it so the collections Weird Of The White Wolf and Bane Of The Black Sword are just as essential, If you really enjoy Elric´s adventures (and why wouldn´t you?) then read the rest.

Of course the finale isn´t all that surprising if you followed the story up to this point, but man as satisfying it is it as also oh so dark and gloomy!

And thus I´m through with the main sequence, there is other stuff too but that strays for my taste a bit too far from the general story and is probably more for Moorcock Multiverse completists, also I really really liked the conclusion to this story. Now I´m off to reading other things again.

I really loved this series on a whole and I´m glad I finally managed to read it all so I can get all the refrences in works by other authors (Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore and many others) Music (Hawkwind, Blue Öyster Cult and countless others) and I´m also happy I managed to finish a series not only during the author´s lifetime but also before there is any screen adaptation whatsoever. I´m not sure if they ever manage to do justice to it or if it ever gets off the ground at all, but I´m looking forward to whatever they might do with it. I certainly think more people deserve to know about the story of this tortured imperfect anti hero who should be very relatable to a lot especially young people.

So, how better to end this than with the legendary final words of this saga?

Farewell, friend. I was a thousand times more evil than thou!

3 Likes

Sounds quite enthusiastic :slight_smile:. Seems Elric is back on my to read list, which is getting rather long, lately.

I’ve just finished The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington, and while I am not totally ecstatic about it, it did surprise me in a good way, and by the end became pretty captivating. Meaning I’m once more trapped in a series that’s not yet concluded :frowning:.

It starts off in a fashion that reminded me on The Wheel of Time, and quite unsurprisingly Robert Jordan is listed as one of the authors that inspired Islington. And while there are enough differences to not come across as a total knock-off, there are plenty of bits and pieces where the source of inspiration is more than obvious. Luckily, it does manage to capture some of the things I really liked about Jordan: the overall sense of mystery, characters and factions with their own, selfish agendas, and some good, exciting adventuring.

It doesn’t quite exhibit the subtlety and intricacy of Jordan’s writing, but that also means it won’t go off the rails eventually, but keep the plot focused and speeding along nicely instead. On the downside, things are laid out pretty clearly for the reader, so nothing remains mysterious for too long. At least some of the revelations did come as a surprise, though.

Trying to get my hands on volume 2 as soon as possible, but the 3rd and (from what I can tell) final book isn’t due out in German until August.

1 Like

I just love the fantastic french sci-fi comics, they´re just wonderful! These are some of my favourites:

Example panels for each ( top to bottom like left to right as above):

grafik

Most of them have been featured among the pages of Métal Hurlant/Heavy Metal/Schwermetall Magazine at some point.

4 Likes

Next up, the “fiction writer´s bible”!

grafik

Will it inspire me to create the next Star Wars? Don´t think so, but interesting nonetheless!

2 Likes