Are adventure games dead?

Iä! Iä! Gilbert fhtagn!

2 Likes

Because popularity is linked to sales, sales to revenue, revenue to being able to make a living out of adventure games so people like Ron can make a new game.

1 Like

Were they ever popular enough to make a profit? Were they ever popular at all, even by the time of MI2?

Ron said more than once that Monkey Island sold way more than TWP. So, I suppose they were more popular in the 90’s than today.

1 Like

Popularity
Sales
Revenue
Living out of AG
Ron Gilbert
Thimbleweed Park

2 Likes

So all we have to do is boost up the popularity of the game? That should be feasible right?

We could make it more attractive to non-English speaking countries by adding voice-acting in different languages :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Don’t people who like vintage games prefer it without voices? I know I muted them. I prefer text.

See, that’s the problem that makes me declare adventure games dead. TWP is a modern adventure game. It has a retro stile, but it’s not a nostalgia game.

If you directly link point and click adventure games to being “vintage” there’s nothing we can do, these games will always have the stigma of being “an old way of playing” and its popularity will never ever go up.

Vintage is not necessarily the opposite of modern, it’s just a way to design things. Every era has an appeal for a past era. If you remember in the nineties everyone enjoyed seventies stuff, etc.

But I guess I see your point.

Yeah, I like that it’s attached to that memory :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ask the people at Sierra. :wink: Yes, they were popular enough to make profit.

AFAIK a lot of money went already in marketing. Beside that, have a look at @Gffp’s thread.

Are you sure? With the in-game-jokes? The SCUMM interface? And, yes, the retro style?

Yes and no. All modern games are “vintage” in some way. For example current strategy games are still using the same game mechanics of Command and Conquer and/or Dune 2. If (PnC) adventure games are “vintage” then other genres are “vintage” too.

Ahem…

1 Like

*opens mouth*

*closes it again*

1 Like

While I usually wouldn´t insist on it I think Sierra is a special case that would in any case deserve a “guys and gals”.

Ohhh my gaaaaaawd, I hope you missed that typo before the edit! :flushed:

By popular demand I made people of them…

Yes! Can you reproduce it?

1 Like

Someone Green is people!!!

Sure, why would I want to miss an opportunity to embarass myself? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

To make other people happy? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

We tend to use guys neutrally here so it wouldn’t offend me.

My mind is boggling! I need a spy in here to tell me when he does that.

It’s okay though, I used the wrong ‘its’ earlier :sob::face_vomiting:

I think I’ve become a serial off-topicker