Are adventure games dead?

I know that, you can even call several women guys. Just wanted to give a shoutout to Roberta Williiams, Jane Jensen et al. :slight_smile:

LetĀ“s just say when I first wrote ā€œguys and galsā€ my mind was seemingly anticipating the ā€œgalsā€ a little early. So I put an ā€œaā€ where I shouldnĀ“t haveā€¦

Well thatā€™s nice then :slightly_smiling_face:

:rofl:

1 Like

That pretty much sums up my own thoughts (which is why I picked the colourful option). I might change my mind once the next (high-quality) old-style P&C game gets released, though.

3 Likes

If you havenā€™t got a badge from Discourse, you havenā€™t. And Iā€™m pretty sure that Discourse has a badge for it. :slight_smile:

The fact that none of us have it should be proof enough that such a badge canĀ“t possibly exist.

2 Likes

The ladies and gentlemen at Sierra On Line. Please keep your eyes on the computer.

2 Likes

Everytime I see this photo I ask myself: Why the *beep* is the waiter standing in the hot tub? And isnā€™t it dangerous to place a computer near the water? (Well, it could be a prickling experienceā€¦)

1 Like

Especially since Sierra had the habit of making you die for way less.

4 Likes

Well at least we have our name for the adventure game convention that we all will hold one day (which I just made up) in a place we all can agree on.

Nights and Days Of The Living Dead Adventure Games

ā€œOh no! Seems you used the computer a bit too close from a source of water, you are dead! Load / Quitā€

2 Likes

I deny the existence of other kinds of games.

3 Likes

Probably, since we can only expect high-quality, large-budget adventure games to be made once every 25 years nowā€¦

1 Like

Can you give an example how such a game looks like?

(read this with a lisp): And do they have lots of big Ā“splosions?

The one with the forum in which we currently converse with the thimbles and the parks?

But this is a low-budget game. I would guess that for example the Deponia and Inner World series had a much larger budget. (And I would classify those games as high-quality adventures.)

Ahh ok! I just assumed those were low budget becauseā€¦ I donā€™t know how to say this without sounding like a dickā€¦ never mind.

Tax write-offs, all of Ā“em I tell ya!

:slight_smile:

The team behind the Deponia games was larger than the TWP team. So the budget has to be higher than the costs for TWP. I havenā€™t any numbers, but the production of Broken Age had cost over 3 million Dollars. Broken Sword 5 got 770.000 Dollars on Kickstarter and that was only a part of the whole production costs.

Interesting idea. :thinking: