Are TWP players young and where are the older players?

:crystal_ball: Concentrate and ask again

1 Like

Same for me. I grew up with the same operating systems (plus Win95) and I use Linux as the primary OS nowadays.

I even think that my experiences with Microsoft systems actually have been one of the reasons why I prefer Linux. On one hand, I loved the console commands in MS-DOS, of which the terminal in Linux reminds me. On the other hand, I learned to hate Microsoft when I used Win95 and Win98, since they were pretty unstable. Back then, Linux was a kind of a myth: It was said that Linux would never crash.

Well, you could have used Win NT, but in the 90s it was not interesting for gamers. Microsoft would have been wise to concentrate on NT only, after they had abandoned DOS, so that all games would have been designed for NT instead. Well, some years later they fortunately saw reason and developed all subsequent systems based on NT, starting with Win 2000. They learned from that big mistake.

Over the years, I have become frustrated by having to buy new hardware when I change to a more recent Windows version. This is another reason why I like Linux. Itā€™s more downwardly compatible. Why should I buy a new printer, if I hardly use a printer and my laser printer still does its job, for example? Well, in this case, a print server might help as well. Some common routers have such a feature. But, Linux still does support it without requiring any new device. By the way, the installation of Windows updates when you actually want to shut down or reboot the device can quickly get annoying.

Also, Linux is more secure and provides a higher level of privacy than Microsoft, Apple or Google do - not least because the developers donā€™t make money with non-commercial Linux licenses. Another reason why I prefer Linux is the fact that I donā€™t like the UIs from the more recent Windows versions, which have been ā€œoptimizedā€ for touch screens / mobile devices. When I use my PC, I simply want a GUI which is optimized for PCs with a keyboard and a mouse.

PS: Furthermore, Linux typically runs faster than Windows on older machines.

2 Likes

@discobot fortune

Wolle du Geld von mir?

:crystal_ball: My reply is no

@discobot fortune

Oh so you speak german, then?

:crystal_ball: Cannot predict now

@discobot fortune

Three quarks for muster mark?

:crystal_ball: Without a doubt

1 Like

Aaand same here: C64 ā†’ Amiga ā†’ DOS ā†’ Win95 ā†’ Linux

(Do we need a poll? :wink: )

And you can ā€œbuildā€ your own system if you like. In most cases you have the choice - for example between several different UIs.

1 Like

C64 > Amiga > Win95 > XP > Win7ā€¦and thatĀ“s it.

IĀ“m not really good with computers.

grafik

5 Likes

Win95 > XP > Win7 > Win8 > Win10

2 Likes

:face_with_monocle: IĀ“m sensing a trend there, canĀ“t put my finger on it thoughā€¦

3 Likes

I would predict that at first the people who were 10 to 16 yo at 1990 were the ones that were interested in TWP. Today we are 38 to 44 year-old. But I have noticed that after the release of the game younger audience have found the game also. As they were not in the development blog, they probably are not here either.

What comes to platforms, my history is:

• MSX (Spectravideo 728) 1986-1988
  • Commodore 64 1988-1990
  • Amiga 500 1990-1993
  • MS-DOS 1993-1995
  • Win95 1995-1998
  • Win98 1998-2000 (which totally wrecked my nerves and I swore never to go back to a Windows system again)
  • Mac OS 9.x 2000-2003 (although I mostly used Macs from 1998 due to school)
  • Mac OS X 2003-
1 Like

win 98SE > win ME > win Vista > win 10

(Yeah, I know - I was unfortunate to buy computers in the ā€œoddā€ operating system years)

3 Likes

I have to add that I have worked/am still working with many different systems at the same time. For example I have also worked with macOS 9, OS X and I still have a mac. I have used every Windows version and Iā€™m still using Windows 10 for video editing stuff. Iā€™ve even used a Sun SparcStation. The systems mentioned above are the ones I would consider my ā€œprimaryā€ OS. :slight_smile:

Well, there are some counter-examples!
I mean younger people (say born after 1990= 0 AMI) who werenā€™t on the blog, but who are here.

1 Like

Yes, I still use Windows, too (Windows 10), since there is still a lot of software that runs on Windows and OS X only, e. g. the map update tool for my GPS navigatorā€™s head.

2 Likes

Yes, Iā€™m aware of that, and Iā€™m really glad they are here :smiley:

3 Likes

Define ā€œwere in the development blogā€. I read and listened to them all after I finished the game, but I didnā€™t really know about the game until it came out on GOG. Thimbleweed Park is the best game I played in 2018 (with some surprisingly fierce competition, e.g., Mark of the Ninja).

My friends and I played the Monkey Island games, DoTT, Sam & Max and Broken Sword in the early 2000s in high school, fwiw.

Since I started this ā€¦

Amiga -> DOS -> Win95 -> Linux (SuSE -> Debian -> Ubuntu) (which is the abbreviated version)

In truth, I did dual-boot Linux and Win(95/98/2k/XP) from 1996 'til 2015, when I finally got rid of my Windows partition. But even now I still have a Win8.1 VM around to compile some code from time to time. And I (have to) use Win7 at work. Also, starting from 2003ish, I had a number of Apple laptops with OSX 10.2, 10.4, 10.6, 10.9, 10.11 and now 10.13 (and at times also dual-booting Linux).

For a while, in the early days I also had BeOS installed as a 3rd OS, mostly for its sleek boot manager (and because of nostalgia I keep a VM with Haiku around) and, very briefly, FreeBSD as OS no 4.

At work I also came in contact with AIX, HP-UX, Solaris and VMS, though I would never have wanted to run any of those at home (though the IBM machine had been very neat, hardware wise).

Overall, I just like Linux, and the freedom Iā€™m enjoying while using it.