At what age can kids play Broken Sword?

Hi all
I started playing Broken Sword with my 7 and 9 year old, they seem to like it just fine, but I am getting second thoughts as to whether or not this game may be ill-advised for them. Since I have not played the game myself, I just don’t know what to expect.
Anyone has any advice ? Like : does it get frightening? Or inappropriate for kids (sex, or mentions of serial killers or I don’t know what) Thanks !!

Uhm, good question. I played Broken Sword long time ago. If the intro scene wasn’t frighting or scary or something like this then it should be Ok: As far as I remember there isn’t much violence in the game, but I’m not sure about the ending. And it depends on which version of Broken Sword you are playing - according to Wikipedia they removed the blood in two scenes with violence.

In Europe and Germany the game is rated “12”. But IMHO 9 should be Ok too. I’m not sure if the 7 year old will understand the whole story, especially at the end. You are playing the whole game with them?

1 Like

I concur. My main worry would be whether they (or at least the 7 year old) can fully appreciate it, but perhaps that doesn’t matter.

1 Like

It’s a game that revolves around mature themes and tries to convey danger.

It starts with a bombing, and the story involves criminal activity and murder, though never in a very graphic way. If I remember correctly, the protagonist can also be killed.

It really depends on how scared a kid would be to see a cartoon character get electrocuted or shot.

Oh, and there’s also a sacrificial ritual, but I don’t remember if it’s shown or just implied.

3 Likes