Bobo and Fletcher Go Deep in the Congo

Hi everyone, I have one question for Ron. I remember that back in the 1990s, Humongous was working on adventure game series called “Ultimate Adventure” which was to be “more mature” than Junior Adventure. The first game in these series was to be “Bobo and Fletcher Go Deep in the Congo”, “the epic tale of a man and his ape”; however, I wasn’t able to find any more info on the Net about this. I wanted to ask Ron about the details on that (i. e. what was it going to be about).

Thanx in advance!
Cheers,
Greeny.

2 Likes

That’s interesting - I would like to know that too. @Greeny: What is your source? An old magazine?

2 Likes

My sources are a couple of Ron’s interviews:

www.worldofmi.com/features/interview/gilbert.php

and a very old Google Groups chat:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/misc.kids.computer/after$3A1993$2F08$2F01$20before$3A1993$2F08$2F31$20bobo|sort:date/misc.kids.computer/Xzm8a8EoXPw/uZDRwzIS2uAJ

2 Likes

Simply put, it was about a guy who has odd adventures with a highly intelligent ape. Fletcher was the Ape, Bobo was the guy.

I was planning it on being episodic, but this was way before the internet we know today and was hoping to send out CD’s monthly. I also wanted to incorporate some of the fun elements of the kids’ games, like click-points.

Dave Grossman helped write the first episode. Well, it was more of a plot outline than an episode. The first episode was “Bobo and Fletcher Go Deep Into the Congo” where the duo visit Fletcher’s parents. Hilarity ensured. Another episode was Bobo and Fletcher go to Heck. That title was inspired by an interview I did with a kid (junior high school?) who was interviewing me about Monkey Island. He wanted to know if Guybrush was in Hell, but his mom wouldn’t let him say Hell, so he used the word Heck.

At the time, doing episodic just wasn’t viable and the mainstream adventure game market was in dire straits. I still own the URL, so who knows…

12 Likes

You managed to hang onto boboandfletcher.com?? Then I think it’s clear that you need to spend the next 3 years of your life making this game!

3 Likes

Yes, please! :slight_smile:

1 Like

BREAKING NEWS, RON GILBERT ANNOUNCES NEW OLD GAME “THE SECRET OF BOBO AND FLETCHER’S HECK ISLAND 3A”!!!

…is what I expect to see on all the gaming sites any day now.

4 Likes

The Real Secret of Fletcher’s Island

3 Likes

Thank you for such a detailed answer! I agree with everyone else, this is too terrific an idea to waste it.

I also thought it could be interesting to make more adult versions of Humongous classics, somewhat like Penny Arcade Adventures, with both humorous and horror moments. For example, Pajama Sam encountering Stephen King-style horrors? Spy Fox against a sinister Lovecraftian cult?

1 Like

That’s not what happens? :stuck_out_tongue:

I bought the games on GOG but I haven’t had time to play them.

Btw, one of the first video games I played at home was Entomorph:

Hey, I made a page about Bobo and Fletcher at the Lost Media Wiki, just to bring some public interest in case the game does get resurrected.

https://lostmediawiki.com/Bobo_and_Fletcher_Go_Deep_Into_The_Congo_(cancelled_PC_adventure_game;_1995)

5 Likes