What about a TWP card collecting game?

I mean something like Hearthstone or PvZ heroes… the characters can be the main heroes.
Ex:- Ransome will have cards like Beeping Shower which will decrease health of opponents cards.
U can add microstransactions to earn money out of the game.
Just a suggestion.

1 Like

I was thinking it would also make a cool Clue style board game.

You roll to go around town then guess:
Ransome did it in the Bathroom with the CAT5-o-nine tales.

4 Likes

Nice idea. :slight_smile:

I like the card collecting game idea too: We have already the real cards. One could add some weird other that fit into the game, for example: “you character is uploaded to a Japanese mailbox”. That would work as a real card game too… (Hm… do we see here the next Exploding Kittens…? :slight_smile: )

1 Like

And they already have some sort of point value with their “love for chuck” numbers.

2 Likes

@RonGilbert what’s your take?

@RonGilbert at least say the idea is not worth it.

Ron answers here only in very few cases/situations. So don’t expect an answer from him. If he likes an idea he will make/realize that. So just wait and see what pops up on Fangamer. :wink:

Or you can assume “Silence = Consent”, so if he does not say nothing, it means he likes your idea.

That´s a potentionally dangerous attitude.

We like danger - don’t forget that we all have pushed the red button…

2 Likes
2 Likes

Umberto Eco said, in the postfaction for a new edition of his most notable work “The Name of the Rose” that the author of a work that is suscetible of interpretation should die* after the work. So he can’t interfere with the “machine to generate interpretations”. I think this is quite adherent to Ron Gilbert’s games.
I mean if he came here and reveal the true secret of Monkey island, that would ruin all the things that through time and for different people that secret has become.

*I’m not saying that Ron is dead or that he should in any way :-P.

2 Likes

Can I just repeat at this point once again that I don´t give a flying beep about what the “secret” is if there really is any? Look, I enjoy the first two Monkey Island games as much as the next guy but it´s not like the story is really that deep or anything…

4 Likes

Sorry, but I still don’t understand that attitude and logic: Why should an author not discuss ideas from the fans? And if there are too much interpretations, then
a) the story is weak or
b) the author/writer is sadistic.

(And if an author says that he has explicitly left room for interpretations, then he or her just want to mask his/her incompetence or laziness - or both.)

I’m feeling like in a Yoga session where we all tell the others our inner feelings. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Seriously: Ron has said that the secret wasn’t revealed yet. Dot. So all thoughts about that are pointless.

1 Like

Remember Monkey Island 3a would be from the creator of Thimbleweed Park so just imagine the secret would turn out to be that Monkey Island is just a computer game.

3 Likes

Dreamed from a banana guy whose brother is the devil.

2 Likes

:delores:

Had he the shape of a pineapple?

He´s not the devil, he´s Michael Jackson! Remember MI2 ends like this:

3 Likes

Hmmm, your objections are all important, and I think about them too.
Eco was not sadistic, infact he didn’ want to die so early (he passed out in 2016 :-P)
It is a way to say that some works like texts, but also movies and sometimes games (narration in general has this possibility) can attract on themselves more than one interpretation, sometimes beyond the author’s himself will. This fact is an index of quality of the work. Umberto Eco uses a narration that can be read at multiple levels (a pure mistery story, a philosophic drama, an historical novel, a Bildungsroman, a projection of the life and experience of the writer, an etc…) So he does not have to specify if the work is about just one of the things. He wrote just the name of the rose.
It doesn’t mean that people can think whatever they want about it. But the starting of the machine to generate interpretations makes you think.
With the necessary distinctions (the games have not all this depth and multiplicity of levels, but they still offer some possibility of interpretation, which is more linked to sensations evoked by dialogues, art, gameplay dinamics)
Ron has been very clever to only give hints about the real secret, so we could elaborate the things that the work evoke in us. For the games, I think is more important the capability to evoke something instinctively.
I also think, as MIlan said, that we can understand what the secret was originally intended to be, but now that we know that, we also know that it doesn’t really matter.
The important thing is that the machine starts.
I know I suck at English…

1 Like

English not being my first language I probably shouldn´t be doing this, but since you´re not the first one to do this (it happened to Zak before) and you italians are so pedantic otherwise, I really can´t help but point out what an embarrasing mistake that is! :grimacing:

2 Likes