Official Thimbleweed Park Forums

Cool things in old Lucasfilm Games adventures that you only discovered years later

We should have added an “Annoying in-jokes” option.

Buy the rights to Indiana Jones and get on it, then! I’m sure an IP as obscure as that wouldn’t be anywhere near as expensive as Monkey Island.

Let´s see, there is the yellow crystal(let´s pretend it´s the shard that eventually ended up in Annie´s posession). the shamans mask and I think a stone tablet that warns about the caponians(everybody who complained about the introduction of Aliens into the Indiana Jones universe remember, David Fox did it first back in 1989!). There really is almost everything in there. Heck the thing on the far right side could be Howard The Duck´s head!

Do I see a purple meteor?

[quote=“milanfahrnholz, post:83, topic:42, full:true”]

Let´s see, there is the yellow crystal(let´s pretend it´s the shard that eventually ended up in Annie´s posession). the shamans mask and I think a stone tablet that warns about the caponians(everybody who complained about the introduction of Aliens into the Indiana Jones universe remember, David Fox did it first back in 1989!)…[/quote]
How do you know George Lucas didn’t tell David Fox to add that? He did own the company…

Oh yes!

I think you really pretty much pointed out everything yourself (@1h16m34s but the timestamp should work)

I´m not sure if Lucas ever played any of the Lucas Arts games. I know Spielberg loved Monkey Island a lot but, I´ve never heard anything about how he liked the game that was based on the movie he directed.

Luckly, you couldn’t have any direct feedback from users, at that time. Luckly, so you left all the in-jokes and nobody complained :laughing:

During the time I was there, George never told us to do anything, except for our first two games (Ballblazer and Rescue on Fractalus!). If he did come in to check out our games, it would be when they were pretty much done. In Rescue, he did make some great suggestions.

For Indy, we had a meeting with George and Steven Spielberg at the beginning of the project. We wanted to know if we could kill off Indy, and whether there were any other restrictions. They said we could do what we wanted to (maybe trusting that we’d keep Indy in character).

Let it be known for the record then that I tried to take the blame out of your hands and you declined. :smirk:

Anyway, I wasn’t serious about George Lucas mandating alien references in the Indy 3 adventure game. I was just trying to avoid having you end up with the “credit” for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. We can’t have you becoming an internet pariah if you’ve still got another point n’ click adventure game in you, can we? :wink:

Well then let it be known that I wasn´t super serious either and I never really understood the whole “ghost, religious myths are okay for Indiana Jones but aliens are a no go”. I always thought the ancient astronauts thing was tailor made for Indiana Jones. The only thing you could blame them for is being actually less original than Zak McKracken for instance and going with old clichees. I really would have prefered if they called them outright aliens from mars (or even more b movie like venus) than that weird “space between spaces” thing I´m not sure they themselves know what they mean by that. No, I think the aliens are the least of Crystal Skulls problems.

I have [quote=“milanfahrnholz, post:91, topic:42, full:true”]
Well then let it be known that I wasn´t super serious either and I never really understood the whole “ghost, religious myths are okay for Indiana Jones but aliens are a no go”. I always thought the ancient astronauts thing was tailor made for Indiana Jones. The only thing you could blame them for is being actually less original than Zak McKracken for instance and going with old clichees. I really would have prefered if they called them outright aliens from mars (or even more b movie like venus) than that weird “space between spaces” thing I´m not sure they themselves know what they mean by that. No, I think the aliens are the least of Crystal Skulls problems.
[/quote]
I have to agree. While I like the 1930’s-era adventuring depicted in the first three movies, I can see aliens being viable as a plot device, especially since time advanced in the Indyverse to account for Harrison Ford’s own aging. If the story had been written to the quality of the first three movies, I think the alien aspect would have been a minor complaint at most.

Yes, and it’s slimey too!
However, how could a piece of that meteor end up on Indy’s shelf in 1939 while it only crashed down on earth in 1967? It never bothered me, though. No need to add an annoying anachronisms option!
Another proof that real chronological order is in the eye of the fiction writer and its readers/players.

Same for the yellow crystal that some people in San Francisco are interested in (in 1997). Though you could argue that was the one that eventually ended up with Annie. Maybe it was her (grand-)parents he was talking about? I don´t remember the exact wording.

Must have been the famous purple meteor’s uncle.

You know how those artifacts constantly change hands… theft, murder, etc. Who knows how many people had it before Annie?

That´s what I meant, the game never tells you where Annie´s got it. I guess you don´t question someone who has a Bigfoot Skull on the same rack.

Well, that one was just passed on as an heirloom from father to son to his daughter to her daughter

Yeah… she could have found it when she autopsied Big Foot, for all we know.

Possibly the Larris family is like the Ravenwood and Jones families a long line of archeologists.