Debunk famous unsolved mysteries! šŸ—æ

Iā€™ll go for a reproduction of the Moai heads into a dolphin pool.
Maybe it is the Easter Island Sea Park?

Wait a minuteā€¦ thatā€™s a seal, not a dolphinā€¦

Arenā€™t some of them underwater? :thinking:

I totally didnā€™t knew, and I didnā€™t check in order not to cheat.

Anyway, after your post I googled ā€œunderwater moaiā€ and I discovered that there is one moai statue underwater. It is not authentic, it is a movie prop (leftover from Rapa Nui, perhaps), which was put underwater for the amusement of divers.

And please, notice how I didnā€™t blur the full stop. This is worth a mention in the dedicated thread. :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, the photo looks like it was shot in a pool. Beside that, the face of the statue is too small and the edges are too sharp. So itā€™s not the real statue. :slight_smile: I would have guessed too that it is a picture taken in a pool for divers (or even a CGI).

:wink:

1 Like

Besides, the ā€œrealā€ underwater Moai looks different, and largely covered by concretions and mussels, according to the images you can find online.

1 Like

4 Likes

Hope the myth gets debunked before this happens:

2 Likes

Iā€™m looking forward for @sushiā€™s explanation.

In the meantime, in matter of underwater statuesā€¦ how can you explain THIS?

1 Like

And what about this?

1 Like

Ooh, hm :thinking: Itā€™s interesting some of them have the same pose (crossed arms / arms above head). Is that important?

Seeing how there are plenty of duplicates, these donā€™t really look like genuine antique statues. Most of those poses also donā€™t look classic to me, more like somebody used some 3D models, added a stone texture and stamped them across an ocean floor scene.

Of course, could also be a Greek souvenir shop that dumped some inventory into the local harbour.

But how come theyā€™re all standing up?

Oh, actually Iā€™ve just noticed some are on concrete slabsā€¦

Are they cargo someone dropped?

You see that is why the examples in my original post are so old. Thus the solution is more interesting than: itā€™s Photoshop.

@milanfahrnholz and @kaiman Okā€¦ no Photoshop, here.

@PiecesOfKate: well, in a way the position is importantā€¦ but donā€™t consider it a clue, youā€™d be thrown off. It is important that you noticed theyā€™re all standing, and that some seem to have a pedestal.

@kaiman If they were dumped, how come they are standing?

@all any idea for the second one?

1 Like

Captain didnā€™t want to leave the sinking Beetle?

On close examination, those round holes in the ā€œwindowsā€ make it unlikely that this is actual glass, so itā€™s likely not an actual Beetle either. Could be something like an artificial habitat for fish, as one might add to their aquarium. Surroundings donā€™t look aquarium-sized to me, however, unless itā€™s located in a place like SeaWorld. So it might be an actual to-scale model in some zoo or other attraction.

Ok, major and progressive spoilers hereā€¦
Please, blur your last message and next guesses since youā€™re getting closer.

@kaiman yes, itā€™s not a real car

it is an actual to-scale model

The two pics are related with each other

If the pictures are related, then it might be some kind of adventure park for divers. The statues look decidedly modern (the general clothing, thereā€™s a guy with a suitcase, and one with a broom standing inside a metal barrel). Looks a bit like concrete formed with help of moulds (hence the duplicates), then deliberately placed across the ocean (or lake) floor, as a tourist attraction.

2 Likes

Bingo!

@kaiman, you won!

It is both an adventure park for divers, AND a modern art museum!
It has a big collection of work of arts which are deliberately put under the sea.
It is the ā€œMuseo Subacuatico de Arteā€, in Mexico.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150810-d2304581-Reviews-Musa_Museo_Subacuatico_de_Arte-Isla_Mujeres_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

2 Likes

I like this game :smile:

Does anybody else wanna try to guess? And I hope in a new mistery by someone else, too :blush: