Diablo - released on GOG after 22 years

I think I would prefer it without respawning too. (Just imagine all the hamsters I have killed would keep respawning)

And I also find it highly unlikely they later made such a big balancing change with a patch.
So, who has played Diablo 3?

How do you mean “balancing change”? You have 2-3 hours, play until you beat the boss, no problem. You have <1 hour, you’re out of luck, hardly any sense in starting anything. Maybe you can kill a couple of rats in the sewer.

Isn’t changing a game from having respawning enemies to enemies with permadeath or vice versa a big change?
It affects how the whole game is played, item wear and everything, isn’t it?

Enemies not respawning and staying slain on the floor is an easy way to find your way back to town in any game. Just follow the trail of dead corpses and turn & run when you encounter a living (or undead) creature.

On the other hand, wandering groups of scavengers are more “realistic” in any dungeon and make the place feel less empty/abandoned once you and your party nuked them.

I’m ok with both styles I guess.

Hehe, haven’t thought of this breadcrumb feature.

Yeah, it always depends how well balanced they made the overall game.

One thing which can be annoying (especially older games) is when you clear a screen, run one way, then remember “Oops, I wanted to go the other direction”, then entering the same screen right away and all those jerks are here again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Playing some SSI D&D games for the first time ever makes me wish there wasn’t a respawning (or rather a d-whatever roll to determine if you run into another bunch of foes on every single move, including turning around) in those.

They stay dead while the game is running.

There’s respawn after save & quit. This is the one I’m talking about.

There’s resurrection by some shaman/clan leader/whatever. This is game balance.

There’s enemy-generation by beehive (um, sarcophagus and whatnot). Tends to feel cheap to me but it’s okay.

And then there’s wandering groups of enemies. This is cool.

All of the above could be called “respawns” in some sense but I’m only talking about save & quit. As in, you need to redo the whole dungeon if you can’t finish.

Yeah, I can’t stand those (anymore). :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This sounds like a bug. How can a game designer be OK with that?

Gauntlet!

That sounds awful indeed!
How does it affect the save/restore cycle(which I used in order to win Diablo)?
To be fair: I haven’t tried it in Diablo 2 yet - I only played a few minutes, skipping all dialogue and just ran into the first cave I could find to get a taste of the gameplay.

Indeed, just like that. I always thought there was only one mummy in a sarcophagus, or maybe a few in some cases, but I guess they’re clown’s sarcophagi… :wink:

Keep in mind there are more years between me playing Diablo 2 and now than between me being born and Diablo 2. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hey look, someone wrote the exact same thing 19 years ago!

Edit:
Quoting another post just because it annoyed me…

monsters only respawn if you restart the game.

Oh yeah, I’ll just leave my computer running Diablo 2 24/7, shall I? :roll_eyes:

The conditions for respawning upon save&exit are a bit unclear:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/370600-diablo-ii-lord-of-destruction/60370651

Versus:

But overall, most players want respawning (and mainly the unique loot they’re carrying)

Cba, honestly.
Perhaps I’ll try myself tonight.

And now we’ve got Warcraft.

https://www.gog.com/game/warcraft_bundle

Much more so than for Diablo 1 I’m actually somewhat tempted, but I suspect the fact that StarCraft II bores me might say more about me than about the game. On the flipside, Tiberian Sun is still pretty awesome. I’ve just always been more into C&C.

Edit: I await Lost Vikings. Or not, seeing how I’ve already got it on CD-ROM. Either way, great game.

2 Likes

Warcraft even contains some bonus goodies (e.g. soundtrack of the first one)!

Lost Vikings would be great.
I didn’t knew it was realeased on CD-ROM, though.

It would surprise me if it didn’t see a budget CD-ROM release at some point, but come to think of it I probably only have LV2. Something like this.

LV1 is apparently available for free on Battle.net btw.

1 Like

There are open source implementations of Warcraft 1 (War1gus) and Warcraft 2 (Wargus) for the Stratagus engine in case some one wants to play around with it. (Visually I prefer the original versions with less pixels of course.)

What does War1gus mean by “modern mouse controls”? In Dune 2 you have to select single units before you can order them to do something. But iirc Warcraft actually has (the first?) “modern” controls, even if you can only select small groups of units.

I don’t remember exactly the problems but Warcraft 1 definitely has some shortcomings in comparison to Warcraft 2 and later RTS.

E.g. one thing missing was right-click to do the default action (attack when clicking on an enemy, go to when clicking on a free area…).
Also scrolling happened super fast when touching the screen edges with your mouse cursor (may have been fixed in the GOG version).
You can only have up to four people in one group, though this doesn’t really matter since they only get themselves into their own way anyway :slight_smile:

Oh, I guess I misremembered it as having more of a C&C control scheme and forgot that you still have to select an action Dune 2 style. But in any case I vehemently object to calling C&C not modern just because it’s different than StarCraft. :wink: