Discourse's community-editable Wiki Posts could be a useful feature

This forum is a great place for fans to collectively gather information about certain topics. I realize that Discourse has a feature called Wiki Posts, basically allowing community edits. I think this could be very helpful to utilize.

We have threads that compile voice actor credits, famous people in the phonebook an I envision similar threads about game art who-made-what or collecting sekrit options in the Prefs.json. For those threads, an overview post which can be edited and updated by anyone in the community could be useful.

Discourse has so-called Wiki Posts:

However, to turn a post to a Wiki post, by default you need to be Mod/Admin/Leader (see list of people with leader badge for this forum) - so the average user cannot set the wiki flag by themselves. Rather than not using this feature - because people are probably not aware of it or don’t have the privileges - I would like to give it a try.

What do you think? Should we include a message to a specific forum member, like “@discobot: could you make this post a wiki?” Maybe Robin @eviltrout, do you have any suggestions as a Discourse expert?

Do you think this feature is relevant and interesting for this community? Are there any downsides to it (besides it probably should not be overused)?
I am happy to hear your opinions.

Hi! I currently know how to do the following things:

@discobot start new user

Starts one of the following interactive narratives: new user.

@discobot roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you — Princess Diana

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: Without a doubt

uh-oh, I seem to have messed with the DiscoTron3000™ A.I.

2 Likes

Will the TWP team make another adventure game soon?
@discobot fortune

1 Like

:crystal_ball: My reply is no

:ransome: * beep * you, you * beeping * useless bot.

1 Like

Tell me about your mother @discobot

I was thinking about contributing to a Thimbleweed Park wiki and since many games have a wiki on Wikia, I thought that it would be better to create a wiki there. Now I see that someone just started building one. There is a TWP wiki also in German.

So, yes, I think that, for a game, having a wiki is one of the many signals of its popularity and it would be nice to slowly build one for TWP, but I strongly suggest to build it with a software expressly born to create and manage wikis, not simulating a wiki using publicly-editable posts in a forum.

Wiki management systems provide tools that are tailored for that goal and the kind of website that you get is a real wiki. I think that it would be way better to use one of these tools/services under an address like wiki.thimbleweedpark.com, instead of Discourse’s “wiki” posts.

1 Like

The easiest thing to do if you aren’t a high enough trust level to make a wiki yet is to simply ask a staff member to make it for you.

They should be fairly rare so I doubt asking occasionally is going to overwhelm the current staff of the forum.

1 Like

Since one of my topics was referenced here but I don´t have much experience editing wikis.
I give you my blessing to add any informative content I might gather here in threads once in a while. For instance I´ve been thinking about a referenced movies thread or something like that.

1 Like

For reference Thimbleweed Park already has an imdb page;

And a TV Tropes Page:

1 Like

@discobot what is the secret of Monkey Island?

1 Like

Hi! I currently know how to do the following things:

@discobot start new user

Starts one of the following interactive narratives: new user.

@discobot roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you — Princess Diana

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: Outlook good

What games could we play in the forum, with those dice rolls?

@discobot fortune
…

:crystal_ball: Ask again later

@discobot you are useless like the buttons on Darth Vader’s chest!

Discobot used to be a text adventure game parser in it´s younger days. It got tired of the job after constantly being cursed at by a young frustrated Ron Gilbert and decided to work as a forum bot. Then suddenly…

Obviously we need to port the world of Thimbleweed Park to a tabletop roleplaying game. It’ll get really fun when the player-characters realize they’re in a simulation.

1 Like

Yes this sounds very reasonable, thanks for your comment.
Maybe this thread creates some awareness that this feature does exist, as there may be some infrequent occasions where it proves to be very useful (if used with caution and within its limitations)