Do you have a favorite sci-fi movie or TV series? šŸ‘½

Yeah people have noted lots of uncanny storylines in the series that appear to predict stuff that then happens. Mostly just coincidence, but thatā€™s what weirded me out about it - as lots of the episodes (particularly the tech themed ones) do seem frighteningly prophetic.

Enjoy episode 2!

Will post my thoughts todayā€¦

1 Like

How many eps did you watch?

Three. First Series.

1 Like

Well, here goes:

:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I agree that the first two are a bit meh. I struggle a bit to remember the details of those episodes now, as Iā€™ve watched quite a few since. But I remember liking the third one.

Looking at the list, youā€™ve got White Bear coming up in Series 2. That one really had an effect on me. I guess I canā€™t really say why until youā€™ve watched it.

Not wanting to put you off, but I really didnā€™t like The Waldo Moment.

As for my favourites:

White Christmas (2014 special in between series 2 and 3 ā€“ hope itā€™s on Netflix)
Nosedive (series 3)
Playtest (series 3, and another one that left me with worse-than-usual-insomnia)

Ultimate favourites (thereā€™s a bit of a pattern to these, actually) (if you can count two things as having a pattern):
San Junipero (series 3)
USS Callister (series 4 ā€“ I have a feeling youā€™ll love that one too)

I still need to watch the last three in series 4.

(Iā€™ve posted this in the blog comments since thatā€™s where your review is, but I also posted here so our other regulars can join in if they wish. Cue tumbleweed.)

(Nope, never mind, I canā€™t post a comment on the blog. Thatā€™ll teach me to say Iā€™ve done something before Iā€™ve actually done it.)

ItĀ“s attached to the end of Series 2, so I probably watch that one tonight.

Is that the one you mentioned on twitter a while back? Because IĀ“ve been curious about that one every since you mentioned it.

That the one you mentioned having relations to things here in the forum?

You also have the feeling we two will the last standing once everyone has long left this place here?

Oh thatĀ“s a shame, why is that? I hope you would actually since the only other person who wrote comments so far is another german who writes in english because I planned my blog for an international audience. And that feels a bit weird as it is now.

The series 4 episode titled Metalhead sounds by the description to be exactly the kind of surrealist shit IĀ“m a 100% into. Hope IĀ“m not wrong.

Is that the moment when you spot him on a picture and go ā€œAhhh, there he is!ā€ ?

Yes, Iā€™d forgotten that :slight_smile:

Nope ā€“ that was Arkangel (series 4). I wonā€™t say why, though itā€™s not really aā€¦ spoiler.

Yep! We can call it the Thimblekate Milanweed Forum.

I dunno. Iā€™m sure I had that option on other posts.

That one does sound good. I need to watch the one before that first.

I probably wouldā€™ve preferred it if it was about that Waldoā€¦

1 Like

Since you have several points in your post I want to quote just this so you know my main reason for hitting that like button:

:grinning:

1 Like

Hey, Iā€™m still here too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thimblekate Milanweed Someoneum

2 Likes

Watched it, you can elaborate if you care to, now.

IĀ“m really not sure how such a thing would work, itĀ“s just so big. I had similar issues with the film The Game. ItĀ“s really a lot of effort for one person, even if public outrage as a reaction to the deed might support that for a while.

I donĀ“t know. It was an interesting hybrid of the Running Man, The Game and most recently Nerve (which even might have partly ripped off this episode, to be honest).

I honestly didnĀ“t think it was that bad. I mean I was getting what it was trying to say and I found it even a bit weird when I found myself rooting for the conservative guy when it looked like he might be able to turn things around. I think that was intentional. Also itĀ“s apt as a whole, with Waldo being in the White House now, isnĀ“t it?

It was the loop situation that really got to me - I find the idea of living the same thing over and over hellish. At least with Groundhog Day nothing that awful happens, but in this scenario itā€™s a neverending nightmare - and I donā€™t think she knows itā€™s repeating, either.

I guess it is a lot of effort to punish one person, but I suppose weā€™re supposed to think everything is on a bigger scale by that point.

It is a bit like Running Man except the crucial difference that heā€™s aware heā€™s in a game (based on the book - Iā€™ve not seen the film which I understand is a bit different).

I think I just found the Waldo character so chavvy and irritating. Which I guess is the point. Not one of the best episodes though, personally.

I guess episodes like that are there to provide a balance to the real disturbing ones. That whole torture part in white bear was really tough even after learning what she did.

Yeah, I think thatā€™s true. Theyā€™re (almost) all on the grim side, but varying levels of grim. But thatā€™s okay - happy TV is boring!

1 Like

Honestly I missed that. I thought that bit at the end was just a flashback.

Yeah, they dropped a couple of clues on the looping, like how she sort of remembers/predicts whatā€™s going to happen a couple of times in the middle of the episode (going to the woodsā€¦). It wasnā€™t my favorite episode either, but it was definitely thought provoking, like most of them.

2 Likes