Do you have a favorite sci-fi movie or TV series? šŸ‘½

I ended up buying series one of TTZ (digitally) and have watched the next two episodes. I liked One for the Angels ā€“ Iā€™ve always loved the concept of a Mr Death (or Grim Reaper) despite it being used a lot since (and before?) It made me think a bit of Death at Intervals, a really good book by Jose Saramago.

I also correctly identified Lou as Uncle Albert from Mary Poppins.

I do find the episodes a bit short, especially considering the twists, which come around a bit abruptly. On the other hand itā€™s nice having something more piecemeal to watch amongst all the heavier stuff that can drag on. Makes me realise thereā€™s not much about these days thatā€™s 30 minutes per episode.

Sure the concept is ages old. They also make no secret out of using old concepts from fairytales and myths for many episodes.

I think itĀ“s standard these to have drama 1 hour and comedy 30 minutes.

I like the 30 minute format of the majority of The Twilight Zone. For Season 4 they briefly went to one hour only to find out it doesnĀ“t work and went back to 30 minutes for the final season

That reminds me ā€“ I also really like the way Serling bookends each episode with a bit of commentary. Which is obviously used in lots of things, but itā€™s particularly charming here.

Interestingā€¦

Absolutely! His introductions and outros are like little poems. When you watched it a while itĀ“s interesting to see that no matter what he says he always finishes on ā€œā€¦the twilight zoneā€.

1 Like

@LowLevel @RonGilbert and whoever else is a Star Trek Fan.

Is the season 3 TNG Episode ā€œThe Enemyā€ rated highly amongst fans? Because itĀ“s absolutley brilliant!

IĀ“m currently rewatching the whole show on Netflix.

*slight spoiler alert for those who havenā€™t watched The Twilight Zone*

Just watched The Lonely. Another good one, and another really classic sci-fi theme. I practically guessed correctly what was in the box, and nearer the end what would happen, but thatā€™s with the hindsight of lots of similar stories since then. Itā€™s a shame, in a way, that itā€™s not possible to watch them at the time they were broadcast.

I also love how they say ā€˜ro-betā€™ (as in sherbet) instead of ā€˜robotā€™. Thatā€™s not meant to be condescending - it added to the charm for me.

Iā€™m finding it difficult to really get into some of the episodes because theyā€™re so short. But reflecting on this one afterwards, the thought of living with just one other person (or very person-like ro-bet) for almost a year and then having them snatched away while you go back to Earth must be pretty bloody overwhelming.

Yeah that goes throughout the series and even Serling himself says like this a couple of times. Was that an old american pronunciation?

That episode shows an interesting way of punishment. Even though I think itĀ“s quite an effort for just one person also they should have seen it comming that there will some sort of attachment. That guy really didnĀ“t think much ahead.

Possibly. I couldnā€™t find much on it but did find an interesting Reddit that seems to suggest there are two pronunciations. Someone also mentions that Asimov said it like that.

Yeah, good point. It doesnā€™t really achieve anything either. At least in prison thereā€™s the chance someone can be reformed. But in space thereā€™s no discipline or structure.

ThatĀ“s interersting. Would also help to know how Karel Čapek pronounced the word.

Well I hope you keep watching and eventually get used to the pace, there are some real good ones comming up. At worst theyĀ“re overly silly (there are intentional humourous episodes) or just far to tear jerkery (?).

Oh noā€¦ Iā€™ll brace myself!

Jerkery?

No Iā€™d go with jerky, which is why I changed it :stuck_out_tongue: it makes the most sense grammatically even though it technically means this

Which was exactly what confused me.

Beef jerkyā€¦

What were we talking about?

Oh yeah the expression I was looking for was ā€œoverly sentimentalā€ ! :upside_down_face:

Oh okay, so those ones might not actually make me cry? Just a bit melodramatic? Letā€™s see if they reel me in.

Oh some of them will, though! Look out for an episode called ā€œWalking Distanceā€. Or is that too much spoiler already?

Ooh I donā€™t know, is it? Iā€™m trying to work out what that means nowā€¦

YouĀ“d have to see the episode to find that out. And even then: your mileage may vary.

Thereā€™s that weird phrase again!

I like it. ItĀ“s really useful.

IĀ“m only posting this here because this has become a general thread long ago and maybe to annoy Lowlevel with mentions a little.

At the moment IĀ“m watching ā€œThe Terrorā€ on amazon, and IĀ“m really not sure what to think of it.