Do you have a favorite sci-fi movie or TV series? šŸ‘½

Just watched a good episode of The Twilight Zone, though it made me sad! It was Time Enough at Last. Looks like itā€™s quite a well-known one thatā€™s been referenced a lot (Iā€™m sure Milan will Simpsons-meme that shortly).

I really felt for Henry - poor guy gets a tough deal! But I enjoy that kind of brutal, bitter twist though. Sci-fi at its simplistic best.

I think in one episode a postal worker gets under HomerĀ“s wheels but says heĀ“ll be fine as long heĀ“s got something to read but then drops his glasses and the Twilight Zone music plays.

But isnĀ“t it funny to think how people frown upon that weirdo ā€œreaderā€? They all behave like these days theyĀ“d say he was ā€œwasting his timeā€ playing video games or something.

I think it was the great Burgess MeredithĀ“s first episode. And he was really great in it. He will appear in others too. At least two or three I believe.

Yep :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, it made me quite angry, heheh. I was reading that itā€™s a poke at anti-intellectualism - people frowned on that sort of thing over ā€˜real workā€™ in those days. I guess reading was considered more of a hobby then.

Iā€™ve come up against it myself occasionally though - I remember when I went travelling someone being hugely put out that I was reading a book on the beach ā€˜instead of taking it inā€™.

Yeah, Iā€™m looking forward to those.

1 Like

It may be a distinct post war era thing, where basic industrial and service jobs where more important than other things the required more studying.

Good, youĀ“re still in for some real classics. :slight_smile:

And I hope you adjusted to the shows pace in the meantime.

1 Like

Has anyone read the novel, The City and the City by China MiĆ©ville? Thereā€™s a British TV adaptation of it thatā€™s just started over here. It sounds pretty good - a ā€˜sci-fi/detective fiction hybridā€™ about a real city existing alongside a fictional one. Iā€™ve purposely not read too much about it.

Nope, sorry.

I just started with the first two episode of The Alienist which was put on Netflix today. Has absolutly nothing to do with Aliens, but I like it so far.

No. But sounds interesting. Please report! :slight_smile: Are you going to read the novel or watch the TV show?

I was going to watch the TV show but now Iā€™m not sure :slightly_smiling_face:

Just looked it up - sounds interesting. Iā€™m adding it to my list.

1 Like

I plan to start with Altered Carbon tonight. Right after finishing The Alienist (which I also have to comment on).

1 Like

A dude at work recommended another one for me today - Utopia.

My list is getting too lomj! Oi predictive text - what the hell is that?

1 Like

Altered Carbon looks beautiful and all but all the characters and the actors that play them are just super ā€œmehā€ā€¦

8 more episodesā€¦

Oh, thatā€™s a shame. Is the story good or can you not tell yet?

Well itĀ“s an interesting concept at least. People taking new host bodies after they die with the rich people getting the good ones and the criminals getting the terrible rest assigned to them and having to serve as slaves for the rich people, with one of the criminals having to solve a murder case of the rich guyĀ“s own former body he is ordered to serve.

This is the protagonist:

grafik

Picture doesnĀ“t really bring across how unlikeable (and not in the charismatic anti hero way like, say Snake Plissken) and bland he is.

This is the policewoman assigned to watch over him.

grafik

Typical facial expression. She speaks in an accent I cannot really place.

The visuals are great however.

grafik

Well letĀ“s see how it goes on, I have only seen two episodes so far (they all are almost an hour long).

But the way I know me and my relationship with general opinion it is probably gettting rave reviews while everybody I have seen writing about the Aienist (which I really liked a lot) seems very much underwhelmed by it.

That does sound a good concept. But those characters do seem a bit bland, even without having watched it! That woman looks annoyingly pouty.

The glossy visuals look really good in the marketing Iā€™ve seen. I donā€™t like it when things are too kind of sci-fi glossy, though. I just switch off. Iā€™ll probably try it but I reckon I wonā€™t like it.

Yes, that is exactly the way she is all the time. I canĀ“t stand her already.

And with him I keep telling myself ā€œI can live with Michael ParĆ© in Streets Of Fire, what is my problem with this guy then?ā€ maybe because that movie had so much else going for it, I donĀ“t know.

I also believe that the glossy visuals need a down and dirty underside. Like in the new Blade Runner where for the first time you could see the places beyond the city and they looked like The Road Warrior, which made perfect sense to me.

Judge for yourself, is all I can say so far. But after the first two episodes I canĀ“t exacly give a recommendation either.

1 Like

I have just seen Black Mirror, S4E1.
ā€¦have you seen it? Veeeery Thimbleweed Parkishā€¦
According to Wikipedia, it was filmed between may and june 2017ā€¦ TWP came out ant the end of marchā€¦
Just a coincidence?

1 Like

Ok, out of beeping curiosity. What do you write on your search engine to get such a gif?
ā€œCaptain Kirk knows The Secret of Thimbleweed Parkā„¢ā€?

Boring answer:

ā€œKirk laughingā€

Done.