Do you have a favorite sci-fi movie or TV series? 👽

I have a soft spot for Twilight Zone. I love when they had to get creative with no budget for special effects. However, many episodes didn’t age that well. Too often the story is “weird shit happens for no reason, because you’re in the Twilight Zone” and that’s not very creative, even without any budget. I can write scripts like that every day. So I think it’s better to try just the best ones for a start.

I remember I liked the 80’s movie you mentioned. One segment I didn’t like was the one Spielberg directed. It’s pure American cheese that makes Disney’s film look like noir.

3 Likes

Nice lamp!

Damn lamp…

I really enjoyed that :slightly_smiling_face: I didn’t expect that to be the twist, mostly because of how old it is. It’s very Ray Bradbury.

What episode was it?

The first one - Where is Everybody.

1 Like

Oh yeah, when he found that doll in the van I thought he was in an atomic bomb test area the first time I watched it.

If you liked that one then you´re gonna love the show (including slight ups and downs typical for anthologies of course)

1 Like

Yeah, I wasn’t expecting such a strong start.

Remember that was 1959, too. Ten years before men went to the moon for the first time. Many of them are especially interesting in their historical context. And many were way ahead of their time like a 1960 episode using an all black cast.

I loved this exchange from another episode:

Little girl: So you´re sentenced to death. What did you do, steal from somebody?
Man: No
Little girl: Kill somebody?
Man: No
Little girl: Oh then you must be a communist!

in an obvious parody of McCarthyism.

1 Like

I thought that about the moon references too.

The weirdest coincidence is the start of this X-Files episode in relation to what we’ve been talking about… I won’t ruin it though, obviously. But you’ll think back to this when you watch it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

With exceptions:

Das Millionenspiel (1970)
Welt am Draht (1973)
Das Arche Noah-Prinzip (1983)

In other news my father also started watching Black Mirror now and is liking it very much so far. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Based on “The Prize of Peril” from Robert Sheckley - so it’s only half German. :wink:

You think that´s where Stephen King got the idea for Running Man?

Could be. :slight_smile: The idea isn’t that unique, so Stephen King might got the idea independent from Robert Sheckley. Do we have Stephen King fans here? Has he said something about that in an interview?

At least “Das Millionenspiel” is based on “The Prize of Peril”. That’s why there are license issues. (The WDR was allowed to rerun “Das Millionenspiel” only once in TV.)

I think it´s been pointed out several times but as far as I know he never commented on that.

Must have been in the 2000nds because I definitly saw it.

Exactly! There was huge special around the show.

Not having been around in the 70s I cannot confirm how true the “war of the worlds” effect was (including people actually wanting to apply for the show!) but having an actual real life host certainly might have helped giving the impression it was actually real.

I can only tell about “Das Millionenspiel” where indeed/actually a lot of people candidated for the job of the “killer”/chaser.

There’s also “Im Staub der Sterne” and “Eolomea” from East Germany, both 70’s movies. I have the first one but still need to watch it. Looks pretty cool, even if it’s not good.

I´ve seen that one. The production quality is outstandingly good for the time. The acting is pretty damn dreadful however.