Do you want a Thimbleweed Park 2?

Only if @David codes a 1987/1988 version of the cashcard reader.
And the busdriver should look really similar to George the Postman.

5 Likes

But wouldn’t be the “we are living in a computer” theme too repetitive? :thinking:

1 Like

An idea I had for a sequel involved the ending turning out to be a “reset button” of sorts, putting everything back to the start of the first game, where Ray and Reyes have just discovered the body by the river, and no one has any knowledge of the reset, until they all begin to feel a sense of deja-vu and try to work out what happened. Eventually, they manage to break the programming of the “game world”, allowing the game to run indefinitely without being reset or shut off. From there, it doesn’t have to be about the “game world”, and they can explore different things.

I got the idea from a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode :smiley:

2 Likes

But the main plot would be that they are in a computer. And IMHO that would be very boring if the designer of these games isn’t very imaginative.

Which one? :slight_smile:

You should play Oxenfree. Twice. :stuck_out_tongue:

The one where they play poker.

2 Likes

I mean Delores’ Adventure showed that it doesn’t HAVE to be about

at all. The world of Thimbleweed Park doesn’t have to be 100% internally consistent. After Delores’ Adventure, it already isn’t (and I’m not even talking about Chuck being in mental hospital rather than dead but award-winning fine dining, a beloved Ransome’s thriving career, etc.

Arguably, even before that, within Thimbleweed Park there was already so much 4th-wall breaking and references that “shouldn’t” have been in there.

I just don’t think strict rules apply to this world at all, which is part of what makes it so charming.

So what if a sequel explored a different theme or topic that had nothing to do with that?

A couple silly retconning one-liners would be all it takes to make me happy.

5 Likes

Reyes’ family is FROM Thimbleweed Park though. If he’s not a real FBI agent, he has no more reason to leave Thimbleweed Park than to stay. So maybe he says behind and becomes works as a deputy. Or a private investigator. I head Delores has taken up investigative photography. I’m sure there’d be a way to situationally bring Angela back to Thimbleweed Park for another adventure. These are just my ideas which I’m sure would work fine, and I can guarantee that they’re a lot more basic and boring than anything the devs would come up with.

2 Likes

If you go that far: Why don’t develop a complete new adventure game? I’m sure that Ron et al. would be able to create wonderful new characters. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would obviously love either or both, but I do get emotionally attached in borderline unhealthy ways.

I still feel traumatized by that one part in Monkey Island II where you end up in the back alley but it’s barricaded off and you can’t go walking around Mêlée Island. I don’t know why I am this way, I just am, and apparently it has not changed since the early nineties so it’s unlikely to change in the future :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Cause And Effect, from Season 5 :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was a powerful moment for me too (I wouldn’t say traumatizing : ). It’s so calm there and it seems like a whole world is just around the corner, with people living their lives. Just need to go around this tiny barrier. A genius move from Ron.

1 Like

It was. But I gotta tell you. seeing the traffic cones in Delores’ Adventure gave me PTSD flashbacks :smiley: (I’ve got a fever. And the only cure… is more Thimbleweed Park)

3 Likes

I would like a game that has the same feeling as TWP. I’m not quite sure if I would like a second TWP or a completely new game.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, you can play Delores, for free:

2 Likes

The more time passes the more I want TWP2. Wholeheartedly agree that it’s a fantastic setting that can be explored more. I think it’s probably time for a 4th run of TWP.

1 Like

Listening through the podcasts again, and in one of them (around #30) they mention being interested in making a sequel. I assume this was before the ending was cemented in, but it’s encouraging that they were in favour of the idea.

I still think they could make a game in the same universe, maybe a town that is connected with Thimbleweed Park or located nearby. Then we’d have the beginnings of a Maniac Mansion saga!

1 Like

What part of the TWP story felt untold?

I think it was brilliant setting an adventure game in the time-period of our beloved adventure games, but that isn’t a formula to replicate over-and-over in my opinion. Why not set a game in Biblical-era Rome? Or Egypt? There are so many settings that are completely unexplored, look how brilliant Grim Fandango was in its setting of the game!

The Pigeon story line. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

If we really want to come full-circle we should have a game with the theme of copyright “piracy”! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: You can re-imagine Phatt as a publishing mogul for example.

I voted yes, because I’d like the fun to continue… but I understand one reason of people who voted no… maybe the reason most people express, as far as I understand: to avoid ruining expectations of fans, and thus ruining the story on their perspective.
It’s a true risk, but I stick for the yes answer: it could be another story, same universe, different place, different time, but with reference to the first game’s story… maybe also a couple of characters could show up, why not. Something similar happened with maniac mansion and day of the tentacle: the latter is related to the former, but it’s more an independent story than a sequel. So I suppose in this case the title wouldn’t be “Thimbleweed Park 2” but something else. I wish I could play it sooner or later :slight_smile:

1 Like