EmuParadise removed all the retro game roms

1 Like

You mean to say he was fed up? I think that was the reason yeah and he cited the frustration over Sierra outselling them as a contributing factor.

1 Like

AFAIR he said that he knows everything about game making (at that time).

(Sorry, I’m trying to do three things at the same time. :wink: I shouldn’t do that, but - oh, wait a moment … )

Like breathing, moving and being aware of your environment? That´s three things everybody should be able to do at the same time.

1 Like

At the moment I’ve - beep you discourse, I know that I’m talking with Milan - stopped one of this three things in favor to write answers in this forum …

It´s the breathing, innit?

Get bent @discourse!

1 Like

Just my opinion on the thread topic:

They (old roms) should still be available. They still are, I know, but you know what I´m talkiing about.
While the legal point is correct in theory, we are talking about games that with little exceptions are not legaly buyable anymore.
Nintendo is still making money on some of them. If I look on the SNES versions of games for example, you are actually able to buy what, 50 of them for new systems? While for this console way over 1000 Games exist. Whoever is into Retrogaming will in most cases prefer to play in his from childhood known (emulated or even original) enviroment.

And that is only possible with roms. Roms that are no longer sold by the copyright owners.
Sometimes they sell remakes or version that now can run in other systems like Windows or on a Switch or somewhere else and which have their own actuall, willing to buy, customers.

It´s not only nobody is hurt by using old roms today, but it´s too, nobody is helped by not doing it either.
Preservation is a big point for me too.

At this point there is one single company that still makes sales with a little percantage of their old games. That thinks it´s ok to kill everythings that came from the same time period.
Seriously, a 100 million lawsuit?? Because of a few decades old roms that they don´t sell anymore but newer versions of them for completely other consoles?

Come on.

I´m clearly for using old roms you can´t buy anymore.
Btw. If somebody is looking for a particular one, I´m sure I have it. That´s my point of view.

Edit: Don’t get me wrong. I’m totaly willing to pay. I recently bought a new C64 game for about 30€ and even backed an upcoming “retro” game on Kickstarter years befor it was finaly released.
You may know it. But it’s just not possible for the old stuff.

8 Likes

What?!?

3 Likes

But it looked awesome :slight_smile:

Sam´s Journey - it´s great.

1 Like

I’ve watched the trailer.
It’s really incredible how smooth the animation is, they milked the C64 all the way through.
After 35 years, and with its limitation, the Commodore 64 still rocks.

3 Likes

I was wondering how many doubts and discussion @RonGilbert and its TWP development team had when they decided the price for Thimbleweed Park, finalizing it at $19.99 … and then, a 8-bit platform game, comes out at € 30.00 in the Cristmas Eve… :thinking: (and there are people who purchase it, because it’s a nice game!)

If I were a game developer, i would be puzzled! I can’t understand.

You can’t compare these games: TWP has much more players than Sam’s Journey. The latter one is a niche product. AFAIR they sold round about 1.000 copies - worldwide. And they had to produce the boxes, “feelies” and cartridges in a (very) small edition, which is very expensive. (They made everything by hand.) So 30 Euros is cheap for such a game.

btw: The digital download version of Sam’s Journey is available for 20 Euros (19,99). :wink:

/edit: They sold 1250 units until march - Source.

1 Like

Got mine when it was released in december and yes you are right it wasn´t 30€
I´ve checked I got it via Itch.io:

Thank you for purchasing ‘Sam’s Journey (C64)’

You purchased ‘Sam’s Journey (C64)’ for $23.99.

I think I had to pay a fee for "other currency"and ended up higher than that.
Maybe remebered 30€ becaus of this.

Anyways, I pay/support actual stuff I like. It´s just I don´t like what I see recently happening with old roms.

1 Like

Today The ISO Zone closed too :cold_sweat: :sob:

They removed all download links.

Still has downloadable roms

3 Likes

And now remove that link immediately while it still does! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve seen that site before. It’s neat like Archive.org 'cause you can play things straight in your browser too.

You got a lot of stuff there, not all of which is abandonware by definition though.

I tried playing Darkseed on there a while ago but the music of that game always drives me mad.

As in never has been or as in they’re not as on top of removing things that have recently been added to GOG as perhaps they should be?

Edit: never mind, I’m reasonably sure Quake III, Warcraft & Diablo fall under never. Although they’ll probably argue something about the specific operating systems involved.

1 Like

For the records: The GOG version of Dungeon Keeper is the DOS version running in DOSBox. The included “Deeper Dungeons” are using DOSBox too.

GOG is selling the “Gold Edition”. It should include the Level Editor and the DirectX version (according to Wikipedia). But both are not included in the GOG version - at least in my archive.

Dungeon Keeper was fun - especially in multi-player mode. I still own the first Dungeon Keeper (without add-ons) on CD-ROM and have “installed” it on DOSBox myself - like several other DOS games. If only it weren’t so time-consuming to play a real-time strategy game…

Thanks to DOSBox, it’s so much easier to make DOS games run on modern devices, as opposed to Windows 9x games. VirtualBox doesn’t provide 3D support. Fortunately, there is Wine. It’s impressive what a high resolution you can choose for Tomb Raider 2 when you play it via Wine. Honestly, I wouldn’t even like to play it with just 800x600 any more. But there are still trade-offs with Wine - for example, in terms of joystick support. Though, some games like Tomb Raider have been re-released as a “remastered” version.

1 Like