EmuParadise removed all the retro game roms

It does, but it’s very crappy. VMware Workstation has DirectX support. The last time I tried it, I was able to run Need for Speed Porsche (DirectX 9 game) flawlessly and fast in it.

1 Like

Well, I was somewhat peeved at the lack of something or other anyhow. It’s been a while…

That’d qualify. :wink:

So it was DirectX + KeeperFX I wanted I suppose. Is the desktop theme at least included? It’s fairly immaterial what the specifics are in the sense that I will be somewhat displeased either way if something’s missing.

1 Like

I just stumbled over Dungeon Keeper in my Gog library, remembered our discussion and just wanted to add this. :slight_smile:

Good question. I only own the first Dungeon Keeper release, so I don’t know what actually has to be part of the “Gold Edition”. On Gog I am able to download “background” images, “avatars”, seven “Graphics” and some “dev team photos”.

I would like to have the Level Editor, but I assume that it won’t run with Windows 10 (and that’s why Gog hasn’t included it).

*Windows 7

The game has been on GOG since before Windows 8. :slight_smile:

That being said, I imagine it to be simply Win32 that should run without much trouble.

If I get the Gold Edition somewhere, I’ll check and report. :slight_smile:

Apparently GOG broke it in the process of whichever patches they applied:

I read about it. If I remember correctly, I abstained from it, because it was not for free.

That’s awesome! I should keep VMware in mind, in case Wine disappoints me.

1 Like

It’s free for home use. You don’t get some features you (presumably) don’t need outside of a corporate environment anyway, like encrypted VMs.

I tried Sims 2 on it back in the day, but it didn’t run quite fast enough on my Core 2 Duo laptop. But it ran fully and correctly, which wasn’t the case on the VirtualBox of the time (probably 3, the first with DirectX support?).

For pre-2005ish stuff I’m inclined to think Wine offers a hands down better experience than Windows 10. There are a few notable exceptions (like Sims 2) but a game like Atlantis: The Lost Tales runs great in Wine and terribly on Windows.

And you can forget all the Windows 3 stuff on Windows… but it seems to run just fine in Wine. Although I do have this one Windows 3 app that is slightly slow to use on a modern PC with Wine, which is presumably not a thing that should normally be possible.

Windows 3 also runs fine in DOSBox, but it’s slightly less convenient as far as interacting with files and such goes.

Wine’s greatest crime is that Wine prefixes aren’t more intuitive to use. Those things are freaking brilliant.

I need to experiment with PCem sometime, too.

2 Likes

Only the limited VMware Workstation Player. And it’s limited to DirectX 10.1 at the moment.

From my perspective that’s not really an issue. Admittedly Windows 10 is kind of obnoxious to have on my computer because it’s so fickle (besides being occasionally mildly useful as well) but my most useful VMs by far are the ones with XP and 8 (only because it scales properly rather than having to use it at 200%). I’d include Windows 98 but it doesn’t run nearly as well in VirtualBox — just good enough to extract a Windows 98-compressed floppy disk.

Edit: btw, that thing I said about Wine prefixes also applies to VMs. I just have my basic XP install and then there’s the Van Dale dictionary snapshot, the Opera snapshot, and the whatever else I might have on there snapshots.

2 Likes

For playing Windows 3 games, I have a VM with DOS and Win 3.1 in VirtualBox. Also, XP offers a wider support for Win 3 games, compared to the recent Windows versions - and XP can also run in VirtualBox of course.
Though, I almost never play a Windows 3 game. Most games from that era were built for DOS anyway, because DOS was more common than Win 3.

I said apps, not games. All games are applications, but not all applications are games. :wink:

I rather like DOSBox with WIndows 3; did I forget to mention that? :slight_smile:

There’s this game I really liked back in '95 called Legions for Windows.

The reviews there are a bit odd. All negative, fair enough, but who’d suggest AoE or Caesar as an alternative? This is a game like Warlords or maybe kinda sorta Civ, not freaking AoE or Caesar…

PS Warlords II Deluxe is the best. Much better than Legions. But that says more about how awesome W2D is than it does about Legions.

PPS Another game I have is called Wie is Oscar Lake? Actually you make me kind of curious about my Windows 3 games collection now. Admittedly most games are either DOS or Win 9x but I imagine I should have a reasonable number.

1 Like

Borrowing a game from a friend and making a copy of it for yourself is definitely what we would have considered piracy. Your friend bought it, you cloned it and didn’t pay for it.

We were burned early on when our first 2 games were extensively pirated (on then dial-in BBS) and we tried to come up with various ways to prevent that. We knew the games would be cracked soon after release, but the code sheets, etc., were designed to prevent casual piracy.

Unfortunately, this really hurt the honest game owner! They had to put up with the distasteful task of entering the security codes. So they were essentially paying a piracy tax (the time/frustration of entering the codes) that actual dedicated pirates could avoid. Not a great tradeoff.

6 Likes

In my opinion, the code wheels from MI have been funny. To a certain extent, it’s a pity that they are not needed any more, if you use ScummVM or play the Special Editions.
Though, other copy protections were rather distasteful, indeed. Also, many people might have used a copier back then, in order to circumvent a protection.

This is exactly what I was implying. Thank you.

1 Like

The biggest pain about the copy protection of Zak is that because of these symbols you really have to copy themselves from paper to game. You cannot have a friend dictate them for you to get trough the whole ordeal faster because these things are really awkward to describe.

I can attest that having to search for the correct visa exit code, reading it correctly with that dark brown/burgundy colored paper and then entering it painstakingly using the joystick made you think twice about taking an international flight.

Ah… good times!

Hey, perhaps that is why I never ran out of money as people these days do when playing Zak!

3 Likes

I do remember we made up different names for the different “flags”, so actually my brother and I could dictate those codes to one another.

(Hey… I should write up my Zak story tonight!)

2 Likes

I was about to ask if you or anyone else did that and what those names might be. :slight_smile:

Hurry up and don´t be late!

2 Likes

The same can be said for those annoying non-skippable anti-pirating texts on legally bought DVDs

3 Likes