EmuParadise removed all the retro game roms

The best DVD we own is Bad Boys from '95 or '96. No BS, just the movie. Almost as usable as a pirated copy, just shitty region-lock nonsense in case you come across a backwards player by accident.

Okay, I do like director’s commentary and extra features. So you can have a stupid menu that takes a 10 second movie to do things (Indiana Jones) or you can have no-nonsense (House of Usher) or quick but cool (Tomb Raider).

Annoying and useless. They only punish the guy who buys the DVD. But if these are only annoying, some DVDs are upsetting, since they have unskippable trailers of other movies which can be quite long. That’s really a bad practice, which luckily isn’t common. But I think it’s almost immoral. I have only one dvd like this. I ripped it and burned it again from scratch without the ads.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s almost like entrapment. They make you wish you had just downloaded it illegally instead of buying it, but beware if you do. :wink:

I hardly bought (or played) any games for about four years precisely because the DRM made me regret it. I do fault people who can afford it who’d opt to just play the game instead because the devs have to eat, but I understand it on a visceral level. Also I’ve used plenty of technically illegal no-CD cracks on my legal games. (It’s not illegal to rip pages out of my books or whatever, nor should it be… why is modding my software illegal exactly anyway?)

I don’t really understand the hubbub for the most part. These movies and games aren’t particularly hard to ignore if the DRM offends you; I’ve got so much stuff to turn to instead… which I do, too.

But then I also don’t understand it when people say being a vegetarian is hard. I was one for three or four years more or less by accident. These days I make a semi-conscious effort to eat fish but it’d be very easy to forget to buy it and to be accidentally vegetarian.

I wanted to watch my DVD of Indiana Jones (Raiders) today. First annoyed at the non-skippable “Do not copy warnings” then after 30 minutes in the movie, the image starts stuttering and freezing up. So I eject the movie, clean the disk with a dry cloth (there were some minor finger prints only). Go throught the annoying non-skippable crap again…the scene is sligthly better for a second and then stutters and freezes again.
Skipping to the next chapter doesn’t work. Plus I wanted to show to my son who never saw it before.
I inspect the disc against the sunlight and see that there is a kind of discoloration at the outer edge over a few cm wide and high. I google some and it turns out this might be some of the glue they use in producing DVD discs which wasn’t properly washed away or something. Cleaning it in a warm bath should fix it. Tried it. Well, at least the first 20 seconds of that scene (in Nepal with all the shooting if you’re interested) runs smoothly now, but still it freezes later on and I can’t access the next chapters. Also the “stain” isn’t gone.
:angry:

Of course I bought this DVD years ago, I don’t have the receipt for sure - or even remember which store I got it from. It predates the Crystal Skull, so the two-year guarantee expired long time. Still I bought a legal copy, just never got around to trying it before.
It should be perfectly legit for me to download this movie now, right? Right!

3 Likes

Amazon video has it. It’s legal. Available if you have Prime.

I am sure lots of platforms have it; but I already bought it on DVD once - that should give me the right to watch it on DVD. I am not looking to buy it again every couple of years as either physical media trends change or break down (though in this case it is a manufacturing defect) or as new streaming platforms rise and fall.

Upgrade to Blu-Ray, that movie is worth it!

1 Like

I bought my Indiana Jones three-movie collection from the Mediamarkt in Utrecht in '08. I likely still have the receipt.

I am toying with the thought. Not for that movie, but because our DVD player isn’t doing too great anymore.

The only problem is that my receiver doesn’t do things like uncompressed audio over HMDI, so really we’re talking €200 Blu-Ray player[1] plus however much a receiver would cost (read: way too much considering I have a perfectly fine one of which the only “defect” is that it’s 11 years old).

[1] Not going to get anything that can’t play American/Japanese stuff, and Super Audio CD is also a definite plus, so you quickly end up with a decent Sony or something. Besides I’ve read that el cheapo Blu-Ray players crash on stupid Blu-Ray menus that are even more complex than those on DVDs. Super complicated Java or something, apparently.