For those who've completed the game, what was the hardest puzzle?

I had 2 issues. First one was to use Franklin to get the banker hooked to the phone and the 2nd problem also the puddle in the forrest. The rest was easy. And somehow i couldnt find the panel in the factory for a while.

Boy, after reading these comments I feel dumb. I must have spent hours looking for section 3.1 in the Mansion library. I thought there had to be some sort of secret tunnel dug up by Doug (haha) or some way to scale the outside of the mansion to get passed those stairs.

I’m my (lame) defense, I must have played through Maniac Mansion at least 50 times. I had dreams as a kid about finding tools to fix that staircase and see what was up there. I dismissed the “Out of Order” sign as an in joke since pretty much the entire room is the same. I was not happy it took me so long.

Oh yeah, and they gave us a chainsaw and chainsaw gas in the same game… beepholes.

2 Likes

Oh, I forgot the one where I felt SO dumb.

The overheating. It took me way too much time :laughing:

Just tried it out. Suffice to say I didn’t expect what happened afterward. :wink:

1 Like

Haha, yeah! For some reason, I was convinced that I needed Franklin to “Blow” or “Chill” the overheated computer panel for me to touch it. Eventually, I hit on the solution. It was very nice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

At some point the writers make you go find Chuck’s check to give it to the lawyers, I think that’s the writers’ way of telling you that the bank is now open

I thought that in order to get the spell book, I would have to ask Madame for it. Since she just kept telling me ‘you have to know what to look for’, I thought that only Franklin knew about it and he would need to tell Delores what to find.
So I decided I needed the crystal so he could speak to her.
To get the crystal, I thought Franklin had to talk to Xavier and convince him and soften him reminding him off the happy times (photo in the lobby).
So I tried all possible ways to ‘splash’ the eye drops toward Xavier.

See what Monkey II did to us? :wink:

3 Likes

For me the hardest was Franklin book :franklin: I was looking for it every where but not up there I dont know why!!

I thought the man eating plant should be opened to get out the man

It took me a while to find the book in the occult book mainly because I read all of the development posts and one of them mentioned you needed a special item to locate it, which ended up getting cut in the end!

I spent a lot of time trying to find something with Chuck’s fingerprint on it. I think the fingerprint-locked safe should have been in the pillow factory office, since you only need to access it near the end of the game.

2 Likes

Why couldn’t I get Chuck’s fingerprint form that red button (carefully, ofc)?

1. I always thought until the end that I have to open Chuck’s grave to get the fingerprint. I spent quite some time trying to get the shovel from the housekeeper.
  2. Getting the wrench took me some time. I had that aha moment when I thought about using Franklin to look at the monitor.

The nuclear waste, the puddle in the forest and charging the battery were pretty much instantaneous for me. I think there was some video in one of the trailers that showed the electrocution, that might have helped me subconsciously.

People keep talking about the navigator’s head – and I completed the game in Hard mode without finding it! I just solved the puzzle with the radioactive material and the maths trophy (the obvious choice, right?, right?)

The navigator’s head belongs to an east egg and is not required to finish TWP.
It might have actually helped you not to get distracted. :slight_smile:

1 Like

But did you find the shovel?

For me, the hardest “puzzle” – and the only one I needed help with – was towards the end, the “Certin Death” room. The button was too tempting. My train of thought was that Franklin could float through the traps and zap the button, so there must be a way to get Franklin down there. Tried everything, including moving the book while Franklin was on the graveyard, which of course didn’t work (but would have been a nice idea). When that turned out utterly unsuccesful, I started revisiting every room in the game. After several hours, I shamefully resorted to consulting a walkthrough only to learn that I overlooked the small factory key hanging next to Chuck’s wall safe every one of the 183 times I was in that room, which of course leads to the solution.

4 Likes

That was a great puzzle I think. Especially because the electric fence looked like it had already accomplished its function.

I got a bit stuck too on the franklin and the banker because I was thrown off by a red herring. On the wall in the bathroom of the convenience store, I found a graffiti that said “For a good time call edna blablabla number”. When dialing that, Edna answered that there was only heavy breathing and moaning. So I got lost because I kept trying to connect Edna (or rather, Edna’s callers with the bank, so I THOUGHT I was supposed to erase the graffiti and substitute Edna’s number with the one for the bank.

2 Likes

Wow. Totally misleading idea.

1 Like

That book got me too. I thought I had to find out the title first, because Madame Morena always told me to not touch the books until I knew what I wanted. And therefore I thought I needed the crystal so :franklin: could tell :delores: the title. To bad it wasn’t possible to get the crystal until the last act. I also totally overlooked the glowing book cause I thought it was some kind of window covered by books.

When I think about it: The things that threw me off track most of the time were puzzles that couldn’t be solved until a later act. Or better: Items that seemed useful in the current situaltion but belonged to puzzles from later acts.

That was nearly exactly what I thought :slight_smile: