Free game of the day

So let’s say 2 stars out of 5. :angel:

Sometimes there are very valid negative reviews and some @#$@#$ comes along saying things like “this game has fifty thousand percent on metacritic, how dare you deviate.”

I have actually been eying this game a little bit. Advance Wars is great. However, this review kept me from it. Incidentally, it’s on sale on GOG right now for €5: Into the Breach on GOG.com (if you read this tomorrow and are interested)

I don’t know if we had that already, but the “The Silver Lining” Episodes 1 to 4 are free to play:

3 Likes

24 hours only:

2 Likes

I love when it is a game from my wishlist
As usual 24 hours only:

1 Like

I forgot about their silly thing all week. Oh well. :stuck_out_tongue:

I may be skirting the topic a bit here, but € 0.89 for Her Story is borderline free. I enjoyed this game quite a bit, even if you’re basically just watching videos & making notes.

https://www.gog.com/game/her_story

It’s a bit contrived, but I think it’s interesting enough to be worthwhile.

1 Like

Still on my ever-growing “owned-not-installed-unplayed” list!

And less than 1$/€ is fine as per rules of the OT :smile:

2 Likes

ow… I confused with Neigbours from Hell. Ah well.

This looks interesting.
And it’s free this week!

2 Likes

Speaking of (nearly) free platformers, I’ve been playing some Magicat. You can get it in a Humble Bundle for $1. No Linux, which is unusual.

It’s starting to get pretty challenging so I don’t know how much more Ill play it (not the biggest fan of platformers other than VVVVV), but the first couple hours were fun to me anyway.

I have absoluetly no idea what you are talking about :stuck_out_tongue:, but this reminded me of another, probably completely unrelated, platformer called VVVVVV which just recently released its source code:

So, it fits this thread. It’s free, kinda.

2 Likes

I’ve never been able to remember the right amount of letters; I shot for V = 5 and missed. :rofl:

Regardless of its hard to remember name, that game is well worth its $5 asking price. It’s an absolute masterpiece, one of the best games of the decade.

Almost the whole game is like the hardest, most interesting parts of a traditional platformer, but with almost none of the frustration. It does what Super Meat Boy promises but doesn’t deliver.

2 Likes

Yes, and it’s plain simple to learn.

This should make it more easy to remember: The count is a factorial number.
Odd huh? I mean even, it’s even.

2 Likes
1 Like

What’s the difference between HL2 and HL2: ep 1 & ep 2?

Edit: original HL allows UHD resolution but the image looks stretched and the text kinda tiny… I’m guessing 1600 x 1200 is best.

Episode 1 and 2 are meant to be played after HL2 and adds more to the story.

After playing Episode 1 and 2 you wait 12 years and play Episode 3 on release.
Then you wait another 8 years until HL3 is confirmed. Then another 128 years until it is released. :smiley:

Brilliant naming, that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, I already played HL 20 years ago but I wanted to check what it looks like now. I determined there are at least three ways to die prior to the accident.

I had HL on my wishlist, so guess I’ll be playing it now then. On easy -to make sure I get to finish it in 2 months.
I played an hour or two yesterday. The immersion in the story (albeit pretty standard predictable stuff so far) and suspension of disbelief is as well executed as I have heard about it. I had to stop playing because I got motion sickness, though. :nauseated_face:

This looks interesting too: free to get this week (til Thursday)

And next week, they’ll be giving away Farming Simulator 19 for free!!! Oh yeah baby! :joy:

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I should probably specify. You can’t jump off the train, but you can jump off the elevator, jump off the control platform, and walk into the scary apparatus.

On that topic, some negative opinions of HL here, with another one in the comments. NB It may not be clear from what I wrote there, but I played Half-Life in '99. Didn’t like it then, don’t like it now.

One thing that’s extremely annoying about HL are the ladders. They’re already a total nightmare on a regular pointing device + keyboard, but since on the Steam controller it’s almost impossible to walk straight with that stick I just gave up. And that’s at the very beginning, let alone the platforming…

HL has always been a game for the graphics. And well, they still hold up. Hot damn, that looks good. The level design is okay I guess, awfully linear though. It’s not a very good puzzle game. The gunplay is even worse. The scripted events are extremely scripted. Apparently I’m bad at walking where I’m supposed to at the speed I’m supposed to.

Where it possibly shines is that it’s a “realistic” shooter. It tries to hide that it’s a game by not having arcade ammo packs spinning around, stuff like that. And how the enemies cooperate against you can occasionally result in an amazingly tense atmosphere, which at its best feels decades removed from your Doom/Duke3D/Quake challenge by enemy placement. But… it quickly becomes boring and tedious. You start speedrunning past them because the fights aren’t rewarding like in Duke3D or Doom. Because overall it’s still just waves upon waves of enemies, except without the clever placement from Duke3D!

The levels are clearly present, and actually load surprisingly slowly (in a second, sure, but still), but it’s nice that they they maybe wouldn’t feel like levels if it weren’t for that. At least that’s what they were going for, and that’s really cool. However, it manages to be extremely linear and somehow often unclear at the same time.

And that voice acting. “Hello GORDON FREEMAN!” :rofl:

No, I’ve never appreciated this game. I don’t care for HL2 that much either; that’s kind of a glorified tech demo. But at least stairs aren’t a death trap.

Anyway, Half-Life’s opening is great, and it definitely has great moments. But I’m just not into it.

1 Like