Fun pics from "Turn your computer off and go to sleep!" page

It’s the Facebook type thing. It keeps me spending more time on the website but at best it doesn’t negatively affect my life. It doesn’t really improve anything for anyone.

1 Like

They probably know how to turn off pedantic mode

:rofl:

3 Likes

Perhaps they made Discourse with the wider goal of improving the communication skills of the citizens of the internet. So the devs seeing their own messages probably just reminds them of their own “higher purpose” :wink:

2 Likes

PS This may not sound like it but it’s grand praise. Because all other non-paged forums and similar systems are freaking awful.

1 Like

Teachers don´t slap their own wrists no matter how much they´d deserve it.

3 Likes

Why should this be necessary? Each forum has its own discussion “habits”. I don’t think that a software should discipline anyone. The software could give some hints - but I should be able to turn them off. And if I would like to post two words then it’s very likely that this is intentional. If people constantly have to find workarounds for these constraints and begin to swear many times against Discourse - like we did here - then the software works against the users. And this is bad software design. (I hope @eviltrout reads our last few posts in this thread :wink: ).

1 Like

You know, I really thought this would maybe be a thing for new users. A good idea would be these notifications don´t pop up for people with high trust levels. I just don´t feel considered trustworthy if on the other hand I´m scolded like a little child everytime I step out of the perceived line someone set on a draftboard and obviously never tried out themselves.
Same goes for the ones you get when starting a new topic. At one point there are enough topics in a forum that EVERYTHING is considered similar to something else. So what´s the use then?

2 Likes

I never get such warnings. Why?

You don´t seem to post enough.

That’s what I meant with “I should be able to turn them off”. It’s a good thing to guide new users through the software and give them some tips. But if the tips are forcing me constantly to do some things then something went wrong.

Not a bad idea, but the problem is, that you can fall down on a lower trust level if you were on holidays for example.

I don’t like this badge and trust level stuff: This is a forum, not a RPG.

2 Likes

If you create a new topic you should see them: You have to use 16(?) characters in the title, a tip suggest not to create a new topic because there are similar ones, …

1 Like

Milan who has a archery level of 7 puts out his +4 bow an shoots and arrow at someone

For a critical hit he has to have 50 or higher.

@discobot roll 2d20

4 Likes

Ok, maybe this is a RPG with a forum. :wink: (That would explain the existence of Discobot…)

@discobot help

3 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

@discobot display help

(You dumb *beep*)

1 Like

I currently know how to do the following things:

@discobot start new user

Starts one of the following interactive narratives: new user, advanced user.

@discobot roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you — Princess Diana

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: You may rely on it

@discobot roll 2d20

:game_die: 14, 10

26 + 7 = 31 + 4 is 35

Someone takes a critical hit of “-35” he he he…

2 Likes

Agree, but can’t you simply ignore them?