German dubbing thread

That’s an interesting question (despite not directed to me, I’ll give some thoughts about it).
When we started to talk about fan dubs (there were a lot of people on the dev blog, not only me, Zak, Ema, Guga, but I remember also @BigRedButton talking about it) there were different points of view.
For example I would have liked only mild accents, especially if the original dubbing actor used one. And I think this is a good thing, because if your goal is to let the product be more accessible and enjoyable to people who speak another language, then you should try to re-propose the same features of the original dubbing. (Another way would be for example to realize a dub just for entertainment, and in that case you could choose an accent for what it can represent to audience, but that’s a very shaky ground, and personally I would not take that road).
To show you an example, the first attempt I did in dubbing Ransome (the game was not shipped yet, that was just a trailer) I used a mild accent from Rome, that I thought could fit really well the character. Then I dubbed also half the lines of Ransome that way. But when I had to leave for limited amount of time to spend on it, I really appreciated the new version from @Guga, not only for his good expressive skills, but also because he dubbed it in plain Italian, without an accent. And this is more respectful of the original American Ransome, which doesn’t seem to show any particular accent.

6 Likes