Have the CSS changed recently?

I’ve been away for a couple of weeks and now I return to find the posting interface a bit weird: The “preview” panel appears below instead of on the side of the edit box. It makes the edit box very narrow. This persists even if I hide the preview – it just fills it with dead space.

Below are some screenshots.

With preview…

Without preview…

This is strange because just a week or so ago, it still looked fine. I haven’t changed anything on my side; I just turned on my computer after being shutdown for about 10 days while I was away.

-dZ.

My Browser (Firefox) shows the preview still on the right side. Can you try another browser? (Haven’t someone said that Safari is the new Internet Explorer? :wink: )

Firefox just updated recently and now I´ve gotta get used to some of the buttons and symbols being on the opposite site (and the layout is uglier). :angry:

I have to stick with Firefox ESR at the moment. :slight_smile:

I could, but that’s not the point: I didn’t change anything and in a week it no longer renders the same as before.

-dZ.

That is the most used sentence from customers. :wink:

Seriously: There could be many causes. For example a cache problem in your browser. Has macOS and/or Safari made an update? Or there was indeed an update of Discourse. As we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes, maybe @eviltrout or @RonGilbert can help.

(If the site looks good in another browser on your system, we could isolate the problem to Safari.)

1 Like

Right. It could not possibly be that changes were made to the CSS of the site which were not tested on my version of Safari, even though it was a perfectly valid and supported version before that change. :roll_eyes:

Oh, please. I’ve been using this forum with the same browser since it was set up. I left the house for a couple of weeks, come back and the interface renders differently.

If you don’t believe me, or you want to make excuses, fine; that’s your prerogative. I, on the other hand, have no incentive nor motivation to make this up.

Of course, I could just switch browsers or upgrade my operating system (a new favourite suggestion from site owners!) – but most likely what will happen is that I will just stop visiting the site. I understand that you nor the site owner may care about that, and that’s your choice. *shrug*.

-dZ.

Then why don’t you just ask the site owners directly? We here don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes.

I had similar problems in the past (on other sites) and they turned out to be my fault(s).

I just wanted to help. Sorry that I made suggestions based on my own experiences. I was dumb and it was my fault. I promise to do it not again.

2 Likes

I thought I did. I chose the “Site Feedback” topic, which I thought was to… hmmm… provide feedback of the site. :wink:

And @someone even helped to speed it up by mentioning @eviltrout and @RonGilbert so they see this faster.

So can we all be nice to each other again, now yes?

1 Like

We recently upgraded our composer to use Flexbox CSS. It allows us to remove many fixed/absolute positioned hacks and allows people to style the forum much more easily.

The latest Safari (which I recommend using for Security reasons) works fine – I just tested it. What version are you using? According to caniuse.com flexbox should work in any Safari released later than Sep 2015.

I’m using Safari 6.0.5, on Mac OS X 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion). It was working perfectly fine just a few weeks ago. The problem now goes beyond looking ugly; it’s not really functional since the preview panel prevents the “Reply” button from showing in the viewable area, and the edit box is constrained to merely 3 lines.

-dZ.

We made the decision to support Flexbox because it offers so many development advantages. I’m sorry it’s not going to work for you anymore but going forward if you don’t upgrade your browser you will encounter more breakage.

According to caniuse, globally 0% of users are on your version. I’d highly recommend you upgrade for security reasons, even if Discourse wasn’t breaking.

No worries, I understand. Is there any way to add a work-around to the post edit box? That’s the only breakage I see.

I can’t think of a workaround besides using a more modern browser, sorry. You could try and use a custom stylesheet but that would be a lot of work.

If you can fix it by playing around with it in your browser you can then create a custom style.
For Chrome, FireFox and Opera there is an extension called Stylus which is great for site-specific custom styles.
I’ve found a version of Stylish for Safari (which I have used with other browsers before switching to Stylus).