Hints for LucasArts games

I was about to say that but I´m usually not the type to confirm stereotypes, even those that are sometimes true.

That sentence is wrong, though - it’s English people using it incorrectly that makes it confusing, rather than a ‘cultural’ difference.

But if more people use the wrong form over a longer time, is it still wrong then? :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve not enough experience of English to tell. Anyway, speaking of differences in languages, there are some that use a double negative as an intensifier.

1 Like

Yep!

Seriously though, sometimes that is the case, but this is one that’s definitely still seen as incorrect. Most ‘educated’ people don’t say it, and you’d never write it in formal text.

But would you still agree that:

?

1 Like

Begrudgingly. I just liked that wording :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Like my mum, I’ve always been a stickler for rules. Heck, my job kind of depends on it.

But I’m trying to be more open-minded these days.

1 Like

It´s real funny, because it rarely comes across in everyday talk with you(luckily so).

I mean I am the german of us two, I´d be supposed to be more pedantic. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In some other ways I might be but even in that I´m paradoxically inconsistent.

As in I don’t come across a stickler for the rules? I’m not sure how I would, though. I’m not going to start shouting at everyone :wink:

I don’t notice you correcting things or being strict with yourself on things like that.

So how much lip biting does that take usually? :grin:

You should see me catching someone getting a date wrong by a longer shot. It still drives me up the wall that my dad every year thinks that 9/11 took place in 2002 for some odd reason. He did it this year and I´m sure he will again next year.

1 Like

Not as much as you think. I think it’s more that I register it, and sometimes it’ll stall me a bit - but if I reacted strongly (even if just internally) every time someone made a mistake that’d probably have quite a negative effect on my mental stability (I mean that seriously, not in an arsey way).

Aha. So maybe you’re more a pedant for fact checking :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I´m okay with that. Facts can save lifes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ron wasn’t involved in the VGA CD version of Monkey Island.

Oh right. Probably for the best that isn’t the first thing out of my mouth anyway :wink:

And now would that be then?

3 Likes

And that’s why I’m always reluctant to put myself in those sort of situations :wink:

*remembers what happened with Gillian Anderson*

Don´t be too hard on yourself, I´m sure Gil still remembers your peanut butter grease line fondly.

Edit: Ah, faster than me this time.

1 Like

That’s why pirates don’t need no stinking <whatever>

There’s also the He ain’t no… , me is/isn’t,…

And most famously, Bon Scott in Rock ‘n’ Roll Singer :notes: “I’m gonna be a star! Yes, I are!”
In that case, it’s just called poetic license.

To pull a Fahrnholz: me fail English? That’s unpossible!

I didn’t think the to-do list in TWP was particularly helpful?

2 Likes

Milan, call the :ambulance:

5 Likes