Just released adventure games

Sounds great! I’ve heard from others that they liked that hacking mechanic too.

Also I’m glad that Apple Arcade doesn’t demand such exclusivity bullshit like Epic does (I’m still waiting for the GOG release though…).

3 Likes

The museum of old history is full of easter eggs for the first game:

Another familar sight:

4 Likes

Other than some awesome backgrounds I barely remember the first one so none of it rings a bell. I’m pleasantly surprised it gets some good reactions from the old crowd. When I saw the graphics I expected it will be crap. Still, it’s not something I’m in rush to buy.

That´s been thoroughly enjoyable!

I´m sure you´ll be pleasantly surprised in the quality of the writing of both games. Yes it looks a lot like the Telltale games but with David Gibbons awesome design it fits well in and you can´t go wrong with that! Though the new one is far less frustrating than the old one could be. I finished this in 13-14 hours.

4 Likes

I played the first one and it was ok, just not something that would stick in my memory. I mostly remember the art. Dark, cyberpunk and lovely looking 2D. When I saw Beyond which seems to be the opposite, in my mind it was bit like going from MI2 to MI4 again without MI3 in the middle. But I’m happy it turned out to be better as a game.

Yeah it is a bit of a jump but then again it´s also been 26 years and not just 9. And with the cell shading it´s aptly stylised and of course the controls are waaaaaaaaay better than those of Monkey Island 4!

Also something about the design of the original BASS I always noted was this:

Beneath A Steel Sky (1994)

grafik

The Fifth Element (1997)

They might not look too alike in the pictures but the scenes are incredibly similar because they are both chased to the ledges, hide with their back to the wall and eventually do a big leap.

It´s possible they both got their inspiration from Jodorowksy/Moebius:

6 Likes

You do know who designed The Fifth Element, right? :wink:

3 Likes

6 Likes

I do indeed, and it was Moebius involvement that lead Jodo to say a lawsuit was difficult. :sweat_smile:

In the end they all just ripped off Metropolis, didn´t they?

4 Likes

Sure! But I was also factoring in the look of the cityscape! :wink:

Which Donald game is the last one from?

Btw, there’s a (later than Incal probably) Valerian & Laureline comic that has a much more direct Fifth Element look to it. With that kind of city + flying cars & all.

Hard to tell since most of Valerian is older than Incal then again Moebius did most of that even before when he did The Long Tomorrow in 1975 with Dan O´Bannon.

But since Luc Besson is obviously the bigger fan of Valerian that certainly made have been a more concious influence and Moebius was just the one he was able to get on his team.

I wonder what Dave Gibbons was influenced by when he did Beneath A Steel Sky. I don´t think I ever read about any visual references he had for the design of that game. A comic version of BASS certainly wouldn´t look out of place at all within the pages of Metal Hurlant for sure!

Would have loved a BASS2 in same pixel art style as the original one, but if it sells better that way… main thing for me is a great story.

1 Like

That is really good indeed, had some lol jokes for me! And as much as I would have loved them to go with the old style as well, that very cool hacking feature wouldn´t have worked in a 2D evnvironment. So for once it really did benefit their gameplay innovations, and that is something.

1 Like

It’s one of the later ones from the '80s or early '90s iirc. I don’t own them but I’ll check up on the specific title.

1 Like

Les cercles du pouvoir from '94. The Wikipedia article says a lot of stuff I didn’t know.

This album was a major influence on the 1997 Luc Besson film The Fifth Element . Jean-Claude Mézières was contracted in 1991 to provide concept art for the film. He produced concepts for the futuristic New York, with its flying cars, as well as the Fhloston Paradise space-liner. When the production on the film was suspended in 1993, Besson turned to making the film Léon and Mézières returned to Valérian where he reworked several of the concepts he had been working on into The Circles of Power — most notably the flying taxi cabs. When the album was finished in 1994, Mézières sent a copy to Besson who was so taken with the cab-driving character of S’Traks that he rewrote the script of The Fifth Element , changing the occupation of protagonist Korben Dallas from a worker in a rocketship factory to cab driver.[1] The film resumed production in 1996 and was released in 1997.

1 Like

Quackshot on the Sega Megadrive. It features some non-lineair gameplay as you can travel around the world to find “keys” to unlock “doors” (metaphorically speaking) in any order you like. And there is even a Indy-like fly line on a world map.
The screenshot is from near the end of the game, which is pretty hard. This scene involves jumping in the air and landing on platforms that appear just as you are at your summit. Or missing them.
Whoever said pixel hunting is unfair hasn’t played (or finished) this game!
It even has mazes! :grin:

3 Likes

That´s really interesting especially the last part since it only recently dawned on me that the futuristic cab driver who takes in a red headed lady in distress is also very similar to the “Harry Canyon” segment of the animated movie Heavy Metal (also obviously heavily influenced by Moebius).

1 Like

Indie-prog rock adventure game Sol705 was just officially released for Windows/Mac:

The ios demo I played about a year ago was fun…
and I’m a sucker for animated kitty cats:

Sol705.com

5 Likes