Keyboard shortcuts?

Wouldn´t that be like, super immersive?

2 Likes

I think that falls well out of the purview of hotkeys, though admittedly, so does my original drag-and-drop suggestion. Having Franklin able to bypass the elevator would also make it harder for the player to recognize the nature of the obstacle, since they might completely miss the conversation involved. Also, you’d have to explain why the force field is affected by food and entertainment.

1 Like

CTRL + M → opens map after the map is available
I second character selections with keys.

What about right-click to advance to the next text line?
In some review I read someone complained about not being able to fast-forward text. I don’t blame him because finishing a sentence with a full stop is a very Ron Gilbert thing.
Also, if you are playing with a mouse only, it is more convenient.

Can that be reconfigured to also work with the head instead of the fist?

You can already do that clicking the middle mouse button / scroll wheel.

Thanks, I was not aware of that.

I would love to have the option to turn off the hotspotCursors in the options menu.

You can easily get to save/load via the menu and I wouldn’t say those hotkeys are that important either.
Unlike the verb hotkeys since the verb interface is what you use to interact with the game most of the time.

I didn’t really miss hotkeys for dialog options. OK, there was one exception: not being able to press the numbers when using the computer and text adventure was a little bit annoying/counter-intuitive.

I agree with hotkeys for those keypads! But the elevator is also a little more complicated to implement since you would have to enter a 1- to 2-digit number (and I don’t think we really want to map the F-keys…).

Oh the force field is just created by Xavier to prevent other ghosts from accessing the penthouse through the floor, he let Clara handle the access via the elevator.

In general I find it a little bit strange when ghosts in video games or movies are bound to the floor. Of course it’s often done for practical reasons.

Wait, WHAT??

Didn’t tell you? I own the original Cousin Ted’s keyboard!

1 Like

At least he didn´t write “Mumm cat”, that couldn´t be because Mumm-Ra hates the Thundercats!

There is really only one way for a ghost to haunt a hotel floor

2 Likes

I would welcome shortcuts in the elevator too. At least I used the elevator many many times and it would be great if you could speed up that a little bit.

Great idea! I vote for this too. :slight_smile:

I always cringe when people enter numbers using the digits above the letters (assuming they have a numpad).
Or using a calculator application with the mouse.

1 Like

One problem with using the numpad to enter phone numbers is the payout is not the same (at least on US keyboards). For some quirk in history, they decided to flip the layout from phones and keyboards.

Either way, I have implemented the numpad, so it will be in the next patch.

5 Likes

I cannot believe I haven´t noticed that, while it´s directly in front of my eyes! Of course the numpad is upside down and 123 are on the bottom while 789 are on top! Well at least 456 is still in the middle, thanks a lot anyway can´t wait to try it!

FWIW, implementing keyboard input is a PITA. All you get back are scan codes, and they are completely different on different keyboards, so you have to do a lot of odd mapping, plus there is the modifier keys (like shift). On US keyboards, the { and } keys are shift [ and ]. There is only one scan code for the { and [ key, but on other keyboards, the { and [ and not the same key, so you can’t just assume shift. The operating systems deal with these translation, but most games don’t use the OS to get key presses (it’s cumbersome and slow). We use SDL for input. SDL has a way to turn on natural input, but it’s meant for text input, not fast key presses. Maybe there is a SDL function to simply return the ascii and not the scan code. If someone knows how to do this, I’m all ears.

1 Like

So you are searching for an SDL function that “converts” scancode constants (SDL_SCANCODE_KP_0 … SDL_SCANCODE_KP_9 or SDLK_KP_0 … SDLK_KP_9) in ASCII values (48…57).
Correct?
But in this way, if a user presses a cipher on the numpad, or on the first top line, he gets the same results.
Aren’t keys from 1 to 5 (on the top line) reserved for switching characters?

Back to SDL: try the keysym property. It has 2 fields that could interest you:

• sym
  • unicode

The first one returns a keycode (i.e. SDLK_KP_0), but the second one returns the unicode ASCII number of the graphical representation. For numbers, it should be OK.

I tried that a while ago, and it doesn’t contain valid data. Maybe it works on Win, but not on the Mac? I’ll investigate further when I have some time. Priority is the mobile ports right now. Thanks.

1 Like

I just looked at this again, there is no unicode field in SDL2.

Uhm, searching on the Internet, I stumbled into this topic.
Briefly: from SDL1 to SDL2, they deprecated the “unicode” field. A programmer should call a SDL_TextInputEvent, but I think you already tried that.
The topic shows some user interactions and ideas to workaround this problem, that exists through cross-platform and non-Latin alphabet (i.e. chinese).