Let’s play Limbo

Funny… IMO, that first hour (say first third of the game in number of “levels”) is the strongest. I guess it depends on how you consider the game and what your expectations are going in. I started playing it in the demo version, with no idea of what kind of game it was, what the mechanics were and so on… quite different from picking up a point&click adventure game and expecting a verb UI.
So I was more focused on the totality and not on, say, the very simple puzzles/obstacles that teach you the mechanics. Talking of which, Limbo gets bonus points from me for not having any (explicit/obvious) tutorial like that and for having an almost perfect difficulty curve. (Although near the end, some stages are frustratingly difficult). Most importantly, it is a FUN game to play. Even failing and dying is fun in a way. And part of the gameplay, unlike a real platform game where you’d have limited number of lifes.
The visuals, atmosphere and (implied) story are quite unique - until everyone else started copying it. The immersiveness (no saving/loading required although you can reload), the single flowing storyboard-like presentation (stronger in the first half of the game with the camera zooming in/out on more scenes).
And all of that taking up less than 100Mb on the hard drive! Some of the other free games in that Humble Trove were a tenfold of that and not nearly as interesting.
Of course everyone is free to like or dislike this game, but to me it is a real classic that rightly deserved its place in the book “1000 video games you should play before you die”.
Oh yeah, the demo stops at the point where you get stuck in the spider webs and then you see the spider coming… talking of which: that whole spider use was both frightening as funny and both inventive and gruelling. I instantly bought an unlock key (yes, no need to download/install another exe :+1: ) for €7.5 or so.

1 Like