Monkey Island 1, 2, 3 remakes!

Unpacker for most of adventure games:
https://quickandeasysoftware.net/software

Original game: You can extract all files and translate the game, thats all.
Special Edition: You can extract all files, edit images and import them back by putting them into Art folder. The game will grab them automatically.

1 Like

It works like a charmā€¦

I have spent literally days looking for a way to save the modified files as DXT.

THANK. YOU.

-gives a cake-

Thanks!! This will come in handy :slight_smile:

If you will try to update the Special Edition Artā€¦ you should achieve Daniel Thomas quality at least

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/a-playwright-s-tale

2 Likes

Forget it, Iā€™m just gonna play with Guybrush :stuck_out_tongue: Mwahahaha!

Cancelled? What the āˆ—beepāˆ—?

They havenā€™t found a publisher. And they donā€™t want to work on the game in their spare time (for estimated 4 or 5 years). But they have only made a playable demo.

Everything that comes from Daniel Thomas is awesome. His version of the background art of Calipsoā€™s Shop from ā€œSimon the Sorcererā€ is just wonderful:

2 Likes

Yes it isā€¦ (I mentioned this above) and I also told to Tim Schafer that his remakes should have this qualityā€¦ he was stubborn :smile:

It looks great indeed. But, if someone works so hard to draw such nice screens, why doesnā€™t he create a completely new adventure game instead? So many remakes have been released over the recent years (some of them fan made), whereas only a few good new p&c adventure games were released, such as TWP. Where are the puzzle designers, the storytellers?

Does this genre really need so many remakes? No wonder that point & click adventure games have been adjudged to be obsolete!

you have to consider tons of stuff that comes with it. To create a video game is very difficult time-wise and financially and most of the teams will give up soon or later.
If there is no pay-check, its hard to pay bills and feed families. Making a game with a full time job and work on the game after you get home, you should be ready to get divorced.

So I guess, those guys did a promising demo, but the promo effort has been 0 and they couldnā€™t find a publisher as well.
Another guess, they havenā€™t set up a KS campaign, it could be because some of the team members decided to leave or they got a full time job and no more energy afterwards.

Example: in the past, some of the team member was leaving a team just because his girlfriend split up with him and he couldnā€™t handle itā€¦ so there are many many reasons how your project can be ruined.

3 Likes

Where are the puzzle designers, the storytellers?

I agree with Patrik but will also mention that the designers/storytellers are both the most important and the least hyped part of an adventure game, pre-release. Sadly, unless you are named Gilbert or Schafer you are going to rely on background and character art to sell your game.

Ron redefined adventure games and more or less brought them in compliance with literary standards from a structural standpoint. By and large other adventure developers still fail to acknowledge how important acts and arcs are. So you get stuck with bland puzzles with no real follow through. ā€œEpisodicā€ adventures obviously did not help this trend.

3 Likes

Worse in what respect? just curious, I did not play it. I noticed they at least did the animated light (woodsmith location) and moving grass (first location).

Seguso, I personally think MI2SE was fantastic and I love it, there are purists that will hate everything though, it would depend on if you hold a tight grip on pixelated nostalgia or if you are open to improvement.

Just look at how some people bash the Full Throttle and DOTT remasters for being too polishedā€¦( and short XD), or others that keep asking for a MI3 made by Ron and bash COMI to death even though it IS a great game.

1 Like

This sounds way too loaded. After all, itā€™s very possible to not hold a tight grip on pixelated nostalgia but still prefer a pixel art version of a game. I donā€™t think a single one of my favourite games to just look at has pixel art, to be honest ā€“ though Iā€™m adoring the look of Rain World (yet to play it). The look of the MI SEs are, at least to me, unremarkable.

PS, not sure Rain World really uses (pure) pixel artā€¦ looks like some kind of hybrid.

I would understand about MI(1) SE being bashed for the new graphics since those I agree where quite rushed and werenā€™t handled too well, but MI2SE has very good graphics and was handled with far more care.
And it may sound too loaded but I have read so many times about loving the pixel art instead of modern graphics that is ridiculous, some even swear that pixel art and clunky verb buttons is the way to go :P.

@glenfx

I definitely agree with your main sentiment. The bias does tend to go one way over the other, and thatā€™s not just for computer games either. MI2 SE is much better than MI1 SE, I agree.

I admit to be among the frustrated onesā€¦ I think on the graphics side, after Indy 4 everything started going backwards. Literally Iā€™ve never seen a hi-res game that I like. Even Broken sword has those black outlinesā€¦

(until TWP I mean.)

Being an artist I tend to go for the graphics right away, though Iā€™m more inclined to go for the newer, more detailed or polished graphics Iā€™m open and enjoy a wide range of styles and dont care if they are 2D, 2.5D, 3D, isometric or pixel art as long as itā€™s done right, Iā€™m mostly concerned about the stories and puzzles themselves since no great graphics can make bad gameplay enjoyable.

2 Likes