No more Daylight Savings Time?

Haha, on change.org… Come on!

It will end the same in having two different hours, since some countries will come back to natural hour, and others to legal hour.
But I doubt that a survey could be used as a vote. That’s ridiculous.

I mean a real petition.

Terna, the managing authority for electrical grid in Italy, estimates in 8 billions and 540 millions of KW/h that have been saved in 2004-2017 in our country for a cost of 1 billion and 435 millions of euros saved.

Only during 2017, 320.000 tons of CO2 have been saved from being put into the air.
Cfr. http://download.terna.it/terna/0000/0994/35.PDF

At our latitudes, shifting from natural hour to summertime from March to October works, both economically and for the environment. Plus I like it.

This awful proposal of abolishing DST has to become a law. It’s a long way. All the political parties in Italy are opposing this thing (that’s quite explanatory). Both EU parliament and Council have to approve it. Madame Morena bless you.

(Still I think the best way out is to let every country decide if adopt DST or not).

Ah.

Compared to what? (I don’t speak Italian, so I can’t read your PDF.)

I guessed that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As @gffp says, It is an esteem. It obvoiusly compares the actual energy consumption with the estimated consumption without DST.

Google-translation of the PDF

Sunday, October 29, 60-minute hands: at 6.00 am, the solar hour returns
TERNA: IN 7 MONTHS OF LEGAL TIME MINOR ELECTRIC CONSUMPTION FOR 567 MILLION KILOWATTORA
 Electricity system savings of 110 million euros  Less CO2 emissions for 320 thousand tons
Rome, 27 October 2017 - After seven months of summer time, Sunday, October 29, the solar hour will return: at 3:00 am, the watch hands must be moved an hour back. Summer time will be in effect again from next March 25th 2018.
According to Terna, the company that manages the national electricity grid, from March 26, 2017, thanks to that very daily hour of light that led to postpone the use of artificial light, Italy has spared a total of 567 millions of kilowatt hours (as the average annual electricity consumption of over 200 thousand households), a value corresponding to lower CO2 emissions into the atmosphere for 320 thousand tons.
Considering that in the period of reference a kilowatt hour cost the domestic customer about 19.5 euro cents before taxes, the economic savings for the system related to the lower electricity consumption in the period of summer time for 2017 is equal to 110 million euros.
In the months of April and October, the greatest savings in electricity were recorded, as usual. This is due to the fact that these two months have days “shorter” in terms of natural light, compared to the months of the entire period. Moving the hands forward by one hour, therefore, delays the use of artificial light at a time when work activities are still in full swing. In the summer months as July and August, however, since the days are already longer than in April, the “delay” effect in the lighting of the bulbs is placed in the evening hours, when the work activities are mostly completed, and makes record less obvious results in terms of electricity savings.
From 2004 to 2017, according to data compiled by Terna, the lowest electricity consumption for the country due to summer time was a total of about 8 billion and 540 million kilowatt hours (quantity equivalent to the annual electricity demand of a region as Sardinia) and has resulted in economic savings of around € 1 billion and € 435 million.
From the home page of the Terna website, www.terna.it, you can see the “load curve” that represents the trend in electricity consumption in Italy in real time.

But what is the “base data”? I would assume that they don’t have used some random numbers. Or in other words: How can you estimate the consumption if there was only the DST in the last years?

Please note that the consumption in the last decades decreased - for example due to less power consuming fridges, etc …

They provide energy for our country. They have all the data they need.
If the question is “is this esteem reliable?” I think I can’t give an answer, since this is not my job.

The only fact is that the matter is still debatable, and the studies that simple state that in the world the energy saving coming from DST is negletable, well, they are at least arguable.

Is it? I’ll look for data, but my idea is that fridges are less consuming, but we have many more fridges. Especially the ones used for air conditioning.

Not in this case: If we switch in autumn to the winter time, then I know as Terna how much power the households have consumed during the summer time - and only that! I don’t know how much power the households would have consumed if the clocks weren’t changed.

Most of the recent studies that question the efficiency of DST come from the United States, they gave an opinion for a country that is huge and covers many different latitudes. If you pick up a smaller section of the earth surface, results could be different.
In the same way, if you look at the problem in a perspective which brings in Lapland and Sicily, you could obtain different answers than if you look only at Italy. That’s why I say these are matters that should belong to the single countries (having DST or not).

You can’t use the world engery consumption here. Because some countries are consuming much more power due to the boom of their industry - one example is china.

We can’t discuss how much reliable an esteem is if we don’t know how they made it, and if we don’t know how to make one.

I think we have no reason to consider Terna’s esteem less reliable than the studies you mentioned.

That’s exactly what I’m saying.
More consumpting units, even if every single unit is less consuming. China and other new economies are part of the world, and part of the exploding phenomenon. They are not bias, they are DATA!

Obviously, we have to decide if we want to make an innovation which is useful and convenient for the World, or if useful and convenient for My Country.
If you’re thinking Germany-wise, I totally agree with you.
F**K DST! :blush:

That’s a misplaced problem. We won’t get a better World by uniformisation. World is complex and various. We will get a better World by having a sum of better territories, which share good practice when they are convenient, and don’t share those when they are not.

It’s sad to remind that the great theorist of Genius Loci is Norwegian…

We are saying the same thing :blush:

1 Like

Sorry, I can’t follow you.

I just would like to know if we in Europe and especially in Italy are saving power with the DST.

:slight_smile:

That’s what I want to know: I would like to know if I can trust the numbers. But no one could explain to me so far how Terna calculated these numbers.

I don’t do this. Please read my posts above. I would like to stop changing the clock twice a year due to two facts:
a) I don’t want to change my clocks twice a year.
b) I would like to stop my health problems I (and a lot of other people) are having during the days after the change.

1 Like

Did you get my Gulliver reference? :slightly_smiling_face:

I think this: there’a a contraposition in public opinion: pro-DST vs anti-DST.

You, as an anti-DST are (in good faith!) doubting of the reliability of the data given by your opponents. But I don’t know if who made the calculations of YOUR numbers had stronger evidence to convince you.

I’m nor pro, neither anti.

I wrote (if you read back) that probably the numers that say that DST gives a saving of less than 1% worldwide are just a MEAN (average) value.
I’m not pro-DST, I’m anti-uniformation.
And I underlined onluy as a ironic counterpart, that uniforming (abolishing DST) would have been paradoxically less-uniforming.

And if every country could study the data (with no ideologic bias) and could adopt the best strategy for its peculiar case, probably the overall world saving would be larger.
Germany has the data to be sure it is better for her to quit DST? Good. But is it good to align the rest of Europe? I don’t know. I think more data is needed.
The energy consumption and pollution is a big issue worldwide. DST plays only a minor role, but we have a problem. And we should study to solve it with every means, outside of any ideological bias.

And, now I’ll tell you my opinion that I refused to tell until now:
I think I’m agnostic. I think I’ll never know THE TRUTH, I mean, I’ll never know if the DST saving is much or not. I just know that changing my clock for one hour 2 times per year doesn’t bother me. I travel a lot, for business and for leisure. I’m the King of Jet Leg, and I’d be an hypocrite if I complained for the one hour time change.
Without knowing THE TRUTH, I prefer to safeguard the health of the planet, than saving 1 hour on my personal time changes…

1 Like

An excerpt from a very good and objective article I read yesterday:

"For geographic reasons, Southern European states, like Italy, get better benefits than others from summer time. Given that they are about halfway between the North Pole and the Equator, the duration of the days does not vary greatly between summer and winter. Therefore, moving forward by one hour makes the days longer, but not in such a way as to have light in the late evening.

In Northern European countries, on the other hand, summer days are in themselves very dilated, since they are closer to the North Pole: the summer time accentuates an already present phenomenon (and brings very reduced energy savings). In Helsinki, Finland, the sun rises before 4 and sets at 22.50 on 21 June: practically it marks a day of almost 19 hours of light, while if there was no summer time the sun would set at 21.50. Also on 21 June, in Berlin, the sunset is at 21.33, in Paris at 21:58. In these countries, campaigns have been going on for several years, calling for the abolition of summer time."

La questione dell'ora legale, spiegata - Il Post translation by Google

1 Like