No more Daylight Savings Time?

Don´t know the details, but possible.

As I wrote, the choice of the time zone belongs to the single nation. In case of abolition of DST, any country will choose which of the two options mantain as a sgtandard.
They could choose ANY time zone, but obviously is quite unlikely that the choice will be other than the actual summer or winter time in use today.

The time zone is different from the DST:

It’s fairly irrelevant what the numbers on the clock say in any case, or it should be. Students in Germany start school at 7:30, for example, when the earliest time school starts here is at 7:50. That’s at least in part due to the natural time difference. People think that Germans start earlier, but for the majority of them they actually start 10 to 20 minutes later!

That sounds like a false dichotomy. :slight_smile:

The EU has labor laws about living and working conditions with minimum standards. Those minimums could be improved EU-wide.

Been a while since I´ve been to school but in my day it was 8 (at one school) or 8:10 (at another school).

Why? The EU doesn’t dictate the working hours. If people are complaining that they would like to start an hour earlier with their work (to have some daylight in the evening) then that’s not the business of the EU - the company has to decide that. (Actually in Germany there are discussions to start the school later.)

Same here. (At university 8:15)

In my father´s time that was “be there whenever or not” :joy:

1 Like

We want it because we got rid of a) having to adjust all of our clocks twice a year and b) the time we need to acclimate to the new time.

If you don’t have problems with the time changes: Congrats! But most people I know have serious (health) problems during the change to the new time - and that twice a year.

I for myself don’t care which time we get - I just don’t want to change the clock.

Anyway, one thing is clear: the more near the equator, the more benefits you have. Then we want to keep it in Italy, since NO ONE cared (only the 0,04 percent of people that voted for the survey was italian, and here that was NOT advertised in any way unfortunately), and even that ridicoulous percentage was half and half (50% vs 50%).

I wish we will keep here the natural hour all year long, instead of the legal hour. But why you EU have to say that we don’t have to do that!

@someone There are different geographical conditions, as I said before, this is not a matter EU should put his nose in. What is good for northern Germany or Scandinavia, is not good for Italy. That’s the beauty of the world. We don’t have to be all with the same behaviour and climate conditions.

I´d still like you to explain the details.

And if germany could choose we also would revert to natural hour.

What? It was a major topic in the press!

So no one has voted in your country but you know that the majority would still like to change the time?

How is the situation in the African countries?

The matter of the EU is that we (the citizen) know which time it is. If each country has its own time and time system, it would be more difficult to work and live with each others. We in Germany know what we are talking about because there was a time (not that long ago) where every city had its own time.

1. What I write here I’m just knowing NOW. This is the first time I hear this matter. Here no one cared (unfortunately).

2. That was just a survey. Call me to VOTE, and I NEVER missed an election or vote. Never in my life.

And then there is that saying that still goes around that the clocks work different in bavaria. :grin:

1 Like

Hm… and why do you think that the majority of the countries in the south would like to keep the time change? (Or have I misunderstood something?)

Start a petition that all Europeans should vote about the DST.

The EU could make some form of my current working conditions mandatory anywhere it makes sense. I can start work whenever I want between 7:30 and 9:30. That means I have to work until between 16:00 and 18:00.

Most days I start between 8:00 and 8:15.

As part of the minimum working standards, the EU could also decrease the work week to, say, 35 hours. That’d eliminate the root cause of much of the problem.

It’s a false dichotomy because you say the EU doesn’t do X. I think the EU should do X. In direct opposition to @Gffp . :wink:

1 Like

That’s not a saying. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Actually don´t like what it implies and that some people use it ironically and some non ironically while meaning the same thing!

Why should the EU do this? Because …

… this is already possible.

Ah, Ok. But an interesting approach, I admit.

Anyway, the lesser evil seems to be to have natural hour in Italy. I don’t know about northern countries.

Still, I don’t get why we have to have the same system to handle natural/legal hour. I return to say that things which depend on geographical conditions should be only decided by single countries. I cannot decide how to regulate thermal insulation in buildings with the same rules of Iceland! That’s stupid.

If I had to vote for abolition of DST, I want to vote for my country only, I can’t decide for people which are 1500 km north (or south) from me.

I’ll jump on the train at 12:00 in Denmark, arrive at 10:00 in Hamburg, then have a break at 17:00 in vienna and arrive at 6:34 yesterday in Rome. Looks like a good system to me.

Then start a petition that every country should be able to decide of their own.