People, come back!

Ok, we have a sign of life from @RonGilbert:

7 Likes

As @Festarossa remarked, the picture Ron posted may be a clue to a MI3a making :no_mouth:

3 Likes

here, have another one on me :beer:

1 Like

Though, can he really do an MI3a and have permission to do so?

Yes he can. No, he don’t have.

1 Like

Seems like everyone switched over to Twitter: I’ve just checked @Guga’s account for the Kill Yourself posts and Twitter suggests that I should follow all other users of this forum. :joy: (even the ones who left it…)

1 Like

It’s true in a way; I feel like I might’ve used Twitter more than I have in a decade. And mainly due to @PiecesOfKate’s tweets…

1 Like

Yeah, but IMHO Twitter is more complicated to use: You don’t have a discussion at a single place and you have to click more. So for me it’s a little bit sad that most people are gone.

2 Likes

Yeah, Twitter’s kind of a usability disaster.

2 Likes

Twitter is fine for… tweeting. Shouting things in public and expecting almost nothing in return. Discussing there is a nightmare, and I’ll always prefer forums. But all the forums I used to visit are slowly dying, people are moving to social platforms… or whatsapp groups, which is even worse

5 Likes

I don’t understand Whatsapp. It’s similar to something like IRC/Discord/etc… except it only runs on some phones.

Also I’ve had the same Skype name since 2004 or so. My phone number has changed at least three times since then. I’m not really sure how Whatsapp deals with that, but either way I just don’t really see the point of arguably better texts.

1 Like

It’s a slightly more beautiful variant of SMS.

And that’s a big improvement for the vast majority of people who used SMSs as the top-notch state of the art messaging system.

2 Likes

:musical_note: Facebook killed forumer stars :notes:

Anyway… I noticed that this platform (Discourse) and its developers are inspired by Twitter. Are they maybe trying to testore trust in humankind by creating the civilized version of that social network? :thinking:

4 Likes

Shouldn’t @discobot take over the world? :thinking:

1 Like

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Come on then, discobot! It’s you or the Coronavirus!

The thing I cannot bear in whatsapp is that you can only use it on a smartphone, while it’s many years that similar programs like telegram are safe and usable with versions for many devices and operating systems. You also cannot modify or erase your messages, which is awful.

I must admit sometimes I miss some of the forumers, and I occasionally have a look on twitter, but when I’m there to sign up I’m overwhelmed by the vastity of that network.

4 Likes

I’m trying as hard as I can to get my family on telegram. I tried for years, because I had no data plan and no wifi at work so I was just blind for 8 hours a day while I could chat with anyone on telegram. But people get used soon and so I have to keep both telegram and whatsapp.

The good thing is that whatsapp now allows group video calls which are cool when I have to call my family. And it works better than skype on phone.

1 Like

I just have a look on twitter here and there out of curiosity, for pixel art, or retro gaming reasons and to see what some people do that used to be here or are still here.

While I write not much over here, it´s atm still the most I write anywhere. So that means I´m very active here, right ^^

But I still check the forum at least once a day with sometimes having a two or three day break.

5 Likes

I actually have a few family members that use Signal; and I got a few to use KakaoTalk, which has a desktop version as well. As for the rest: if they don’t want to install another app to stay in touch, why should i?

As for Twitter, I use it in a read-only fashion, on my desktop only. And only grudgingly, because newsletters and forums and full fledged websites with regular updates are mostly out of fashion. And given what a mess Twitter is, I hardly subscribe to more than 4 or 5 entities at once, and it’s almost always gaming-related stuff. (There were some sponsored tweets for a while in addition, but luckily those senders could be blocked just fine)

1 Like