Petition: Disney, please sell the rights to 'Monkey Island' back to its creator Ron Gilbert

Why do you think that?

So here is the plan: Instead of killing Ron to get his secrets we have to kill Disney executives until there is someone in upper management who loves the original Monkey Island series…
(Yep, this sounds like a plan from someone who played too many of those murder simulators.)

Could somebody explain to me why Disney wouldn’t sell the Monkey Island IP to Ron? Is Disney planning to do something with it or they just don’t want Ron to own it? I’m sorry, english isn’t my native language and it’s hard for me to follow the whole IP/license thing. Thank you.

I suppose the answer is “they probably don’t even know they have it” + “they won’t make enough money out of it so they don’t care”

1 Like

Assuming from your name you are italian…

Ciao Giovanni, la Disney ha acquisito le Proprietà Intellettuali (cioè i diritti) su tutto ciò che riguarda la Lucasfilm/Lucasarts da George Lucas, pagando 4 miliardi di dollari. I diritti includono tutto. Anche i videogames, i nomi, i personaggi.
Capisci che per una cifra del genere, piuttosto che vendere la Disney preferisca sfruttare, cedendo in licenza o al massimo in franchising. Ecco perché è altamente improbabile (per non dire impossibile) che cederà la proprietà. Anche se solo per la parte relativa ai nomi e ai personaggi legati a Monkey Island.

I hope that Mr. Objection (@ZakPhoenixMcKracken) had explained that in italian already. :slight_smile: And you should play less murder simulators. :wink:

1 Like

Yes, a dialog-centric novel, similar to a movie script, would put to value half of Ron’s talents. And for the other half (puzzle crafting), there’s nothing to prevent putting some puzzles in a novel. You just need to make it clear when the character is about to solve a puzzle, so the reader understands he is now supposed to stop and think before reading on. (like before a agatha christie solution)

1 Like

I think that the problem is that Disney is so big that decisions have a big cost for them. Even to sit at a table and consider whether to sell the IP, and for how much, has costs to them. Because the people who are supposed to decide are busy on other things, and if they need to stop what they are doing and think about MI, Disney has already lost big money. Diseconomies of scale…

1 Like

Also, maybe Disney will alway consider the Monkey Island saga as an aborted, unofficial experiment of Pirates of the Caribbean. So owning the IP is mostly a guarantee that the franchise is locked.

1 Like

I don’t know… in this case, it would have less value to Disney, so it should be more willing to sell it. I think the problem is more bureacratic.

I kindly disagree. When McDonald’s, in Italy, acquired Burghy, the american chain did so in order to dismantle his main (smaller) competitor and get the monopoly of the market, and certainly not in order to re-sell the company and gain profit.

Disney certainly isn’t in need of money. Which interest should Disney have to sell MI IPs for just a bunch of pieces of eight, with the only effect that somebody else could earn on that franchise, and possibly shade the shiny star of Pirates of the Caribbean?

Maybe, yet unlikely, it’s easier that Disney could resell IPs for Maniac Mansion or Sam&Max, if not interested in the product. But I think that they will keep Monkey Island thight shut in their sekrit dungeon.

just curious… who told you this? I have mcdonald’s and burger king down here, a 10 min drive, in Italy.

Grazie per la spiegazione. Ora vedo tutto più chiaro! Non sono italiano, sono argentino ma non ho ancora potuto trovare un altro qui (hola, ¿algun argentino por aca?). Anyway, thank you for your answer. God, it sucks knowing there’s nothing we can do to help Ron.

Sorry everybody for this OT…

Well, actually nobody told me back then, it was just a supposition of mine :slight_smile:
But if you google, you’ll notice that McDonald’s acquired Burghy in 1996 and immediately started to progressively change the brand of the restaurants. They made it slowly, since Burghy was on the market since 1981 and italian people liked it.
Back then McDonald’s had 38 restaurants in Italy, and Burghy had 88. Burger King had zero. So McDonald’s became the monopolist.

And so, when Burger King opened the first restaurant in Italy -in 1999- they knew they had to open 125 more restaurants to reach the top :slight_smile:

And I’ve always had the idea that the acquisition of Burghy has been a strategical move to beat Burger King even before it came into italian market. If Burger King, while still not on italian market had made a good offer to Burghy, they would have entered the italian market as leaders, and the history would have been different.

Anyway, I quoted McDonalds and Burghy just to give an example, but I think that similar operations are quite common in the world of economics and finance.

END OF OT

I want to come back in topic with some science-fiction:

I I said “if burger King had made a good offer to Burghy, history would have been different”, right?

…and what if LucasFilm (not LucasArts, not LucasFilm Games, I mean LUCASFILM) in the early nineties decided to make a movie series of the Monkey Island saga? :grin:

Probably Pirates of the Caribbean would have never become a movie franchise…
And maybe Disney, after the acquisition of the IP, would have re-named the original Disneyland ride after Monkey Island name!!! :fearful:

1 Like

Oh, I’m sorry, I was wrong about your origin.
I hope you have understood what I wrote before, even if it was in italian.

1 Like

Don’t worry mate. My name can be misleading. I understood everything you wrote, thank you!

I think Disney has not one single reason to sell the IP. It’s their stuff and keeping it to control/block the MI franchise and to prevent other people to make money on it makes a lot of sense.

Maybe they would be more interested in licensing it, but that’s not what Ron wants, for the reasons that he has already explained.

Unless the NEW FUTURE boss in charge at Disney, is already a Ron Gilbert’s fan… :sunglasses:

Fair enough. But since Disney isn’t planning to do anything with it, wouldn’t it make sense to sell it? I think I’ve read about a kickstarter just to buy the IP. Maybe I’m naive or not looking at the whole picture, but it seems more logical to sell the IP of an abandoned franchise than just letting it sit there without touching. They can get an obscene amount of money for an otherwise useless thing.

@Giovanni

I shouldn’t quote myself, but, again: