PiecesOfKate's journey in Italy

Are you? @tasse-tee would seem to be a couple years younger than me but she seems to be very well-versed in all these '80s games from before I was born. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well she is quite a bit younger than I am, at least.

I bought Zak McKracken on 2015-06-21.

2 Likes

Amateur :stuck_out_tongue:

Haven’t taken a closer look at this one, I will check it out.

1 Like

The C64 version was the first version - and thus the “original” one. The developers did a good job if we consider the limitations of the C64 version. All other versions are “just” conversions. The FM Towns version has a complete different look and the graphics weren’t made with the same love IMHO. Or in other words: The FM Towns version could have been more beautiful. It’s like Monkey Island EGA vs. Monkey Island VGA.

But feel free to chose the version you like. :slight_smile: For younger players like @tasse-tee the FM Towns version might be more attractive. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are two DOS versions, v1 (C64 graphics) and v2 (EGA graphics).
I prefer EGA over the other two but new players most likely will prefer the FM-Towns one.
And yes, GOG doesn’t include C64/v1.

1 Like

Yes, also because it has an ambient soundtrack instead of…almost no music. But even though I grew up on the C64 version, the FM Towns one is perfectly alright.

3 Likes

But I like that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I prefer Monkey Island EGA.

So you think it’s worthwhile to obtain the other version through some channel?

I’d rather have some peace and quiet than that maddening background music in Dark Seed or something.

For the records: The Gog version includes the v2 EGA version.

It´s a shame that a game with just fantastic visuals gets its mood completly ruined by music like that.

Zak is nothing like that however. It´s very complimentary backround mood. You have jungle ambient sounds in the jungle, drums in africa, sitar in tibet and something completly otherworldy on mars. You hardly notice it, but it feels good.

1 Like

It’s not that I prefer the EGA look per se. I just prefer MI EGA. :slight_smile:

But anyway, if it’s just the graphics I’ll give the v2 EGA and the FM Towns VGA (?) a try for a few minutes and make my choice based on that, I suppose.

Hm. I’m going to peruse some screenshots of the different versions before making my decision.

ScummVM has a few screenshots: https://www.scummvm.org/screenshots/lec/zak/

The Amiga looks like some kind of crossbreed? Or is that a variation of the EGA v2?

Zak C64:

Zak EGA v2:

Zak FM Towns:

(I haven’t found a screenshot of the English version. /edit: Ok, @milanfahrnholz did. :slight_smile: )

C64

grafik

Amiga, PC etc.

FM Towns

Oh yeah, I forgot about this thread.

2 Likes

@milanfahrnholz: The colors in your picture of the C64 version are wrong. It looks like Zak had a sunburn. :wink:

Actually I´m not sure if it even IS the C64 version then, could be an early Apple or IBM version. You could already see on Maniac Mansion that those already had inferior graphics compared to the C64.

Hm, C64 looks the most classic. But the PC one is nice too. Definitely not the FM Towns one.

I wonder what I would’ve played on my IBM PC? The second one I guess? I’d like to stay true to that.