[Poll] Return to Monkey Island images: do you like the art style?

Great. Now just crank up the saturation until it looks like a bag of skittles .

1 Like

2 for me. But even it was a text adventure I would be happy!

3 1/2 if that was an option. I found the trailer looked quite good, but the screenshots not so much. I don’t even think it’s the art per se, more a combination of art and locations:

I mean there’s the street we know from MI1. Nice throwback, but I’d rather have seen a bit of a different perspective, perhaps.
Then a courtroom and a locksmith. Exciting! Not.
Finally a lava cave that may or may not be the one on Monkey Island. So yeah, I think I kinda know that place too.

I’m pretty sure I’ll be perfectly fine with the art style in the game proper, but with that first batch of screenshots I felt a bit underwhelmed. Guess showing off the boring stuff first might be a good way to keep expectations at a moderate level, though.

1 Like

I think, Guybrush is missing in the screenshots.

I think they also don’t want to spoil too much, so are going to show pretty general things at first.

I always thought gf was the most beautiful adventure game. It had some flawed puzzles, tho.

GF? MI2 graphics were the pinnacle for me. of nevermind: Grim Fandango.

I really don’t understand all the complains - at this time: We haven’t seen the final game yet and only some of the animations.

Each Monkey Island game had its own art style. Even MI2 had completely different visuals (compared to MI1). So to me it seems to be consistent to introduce a new art style for RMI.

And it’s very interesting to see that most critics are about the art style in the Monkey Island games. I’ve never heard that the puzzles in EMI were bad or the music or something else. (And yes, I disliked a lot music pieces in EMI.)

Regarding Grim Fandango …

… this! :smiley:

The game came out in the 90s. The 3D graphics were good at that time.

/edit: Fixed typos

7 Likes

Especially on the Amiga, the MI2 backgrounds were very noisy, so I thought them subpar to the rather crisp backgrounds of MI1. Liked the Guybrush sprite of MI2 much better, though.

And yeah, the atmosphere of Grim Fandango was really something special, and the visuals had a big part in that.

2 Likes

I like the art style of Return a lot. I am looking forward to the game. However, TSoMI is my first love. <3

1 Like

To me, art is the first and probably most important thing I experience in an adventure game. Then music, and then gameplay. I have mixed feelings about the art. I was tempted to say something about it, but I really think it’s better to wait for the game to be released and played. I’ll do an exercise of patience until I play the game.

5 Likes

I think that enough people have answered the question and I have closed the poll. :slight_smile:

Here are the final results:

6 Likes

I gave it a 2/5 when I had only loaded the screenshots up on my phone. Feel like a jerk now because after loading it up full screen on PC I’d give it a 4/5. I’m pretty excited, can’t wait to see backgrounds with some animation.

2 Likes

I gave it a 3, but I’m confident that when I’ll see those locations animated in the game, my appreciation (and vote) will probably increase.

1 Like

I gave it a 4

The courthouse picture is captioned in the articles as “The courthouse of a chilly new island”… it will be cool to see an icy/snowy island in this art style, assuming that’s what the caption means

1 Like

I think so. The left window has some ice around it.

I imagine that the island must have a very high mountain.

3 Likes

Somebody on Reddit opened a poll interesting for me, because it tries to understand what aspect of the new art style some people don’t like.

Here are the (current) results:

5 Likes

Based on the polls so far, it seems that a majority of people do like it, something like 60-70% or so.

It’s just that they tend to then not make a comment online or just make one comment, and it gets swamped out by a very loud 30% who comment numerous times, often very angrily and at length.

3 Likes

For me the designs fall a little flat. It has nothing to do with style or medium. Just lack of variation and focal points.

2 Likes

The thing is… when the trailer came out, nobody, literally nobody said “this looks awful”.

Yet the style was the same as the screenshots. The problem is… screenshots are static, the trailer wasn’t. And Ron said things look great when in motion, so… I trust him. Even if I’m not too fond of the screenshots in themselves, I think the art style will be fine while we play.

9 Likes