[Poll] Would you participate in a Monkey Island 1 community playthrough?

I never played the EGA version, so I’ll give that a go. Perhaps playtesting my translation for it and changing the backgrounds as I go along.

Exactly.

A super-relaxed thing with no schedules, no deadlines an no goals besides having fun together.

2 Likes

I understand the concept. I would suggest that you look towards the Adventure Gamers forum for how best to run and moderate a community playthrough (they’ve done it for over 70 adventure games now). Over there, the host will set specific points in the game for everyone partcipating to reach by a specific date. During that period, people will be free to share their thoughts and opinions about that section of the game, before everyone moves on to the next section of the playthrough.

So, for The Secret of Monkey Island, it would make the most sense for the first section of the playthrough to be for everyone to play the game up until they reach ‘Part II: The Journey’ (whilst commentating on their experience) and to set a date for people to achieve that goal. Once that date arrives, people will be free to continue playing, up until they reach ‘Part III: Under Monkey Island’ and so on…

Actually, I very much disagree with this. I think schedules and deadlines are important for this sort of thing. Otherwise, it may as well not be a community playthrough and just a thread for people to discuss the game in general. Having goals and sections of the game to focus on, allows participants to discuss specific elements of the game as they play and it also means that everyone is playing through the game at a similar pace, so you don’t wind up with one person finishing the whole game in an afternoon, whilst another person is still playing the opening chapter.

I see your point, but actually I have intentionally proposed something with no specific format, rules or moderators for two reasons:

1. I wouldn’t have the energy to organize anything more complex and
  2. I think that the relaxed approach is more compatible with the topic-derailing and chaotic DNA of this forum. :grin:

But, it would be fun for me to participate as a player to a more organized playthrough if someone else is willing to manage it and if other people will be OK with it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i’ll participate in the relaxed approach. The other suggestion is too demanding. I will find time for Monkey Island where I can. That may mean I play through it all in two days because I happen to have a lot of time those days, or it may be over a much longer period. Getting to certain spots within certain periods is too much of an obligation for me.

2 Likes

That’s fair enough, but note that the community playthroughs on the Adventure Gamers forum always have extremely forgiving deadlines (typically a week to play each section of the game).