Rant/appreciation thread about the latest TWP update

The mime has no name (as far as I remember). So it would be easy to call/name him officially (Mr.) Mine…

1 Like

You people are sooooo weird. :joy:

1 Like

Hey! Great idea but it’s not yours: it’s an idea of… Mine!

:grinning:

Well, Someone has to be it!

2 Likes

In Italy there’ s a radio network whose tagline is “Very Normal People”.

I hate it.

There’s another one whose tagline (translated) sonds like “if you look close enough, nobody is normal”.

Much better.

1 Like

Sounds like yet another of Berlusconi´s schemes to keep the working class non rebellious.

Don’t apologize, it was very funny! :grinning:

In the words of the pigeon sisters :“It was too good to pass up”

Could be, but this time, he will play the defendant’s role!

RTL 102.5

I don’t get it… which one is it?

I anticipate the whole thing to go down like this:

or this:

So I fully expect the trial to include a “bad court thingy” and the verdict to turn to to be “Not Gilcup”

You drag me into my field… off-topics! :wink:

Exactly. I don’t like that tagline because of the message it implies: “Normal is better. You have to be normal, you have to conform. We proudly conform and who listens to our radio is proud to conform”.
I’m not expecting an entertainment radio to convey sneak political messages.

In italian: “da vicino nessuno è normale”
It used to be a tagline of Radio Popolare. It’s a much better tagline in my opinion, since the message is far opposite.
It actually is a famous quote from Franco Basaglia (the Wikipedia link is in english and very detailed), italian psychiatrist and promoter of the reform that dismantled mental asylums.
This tagline conveys a message of tolerance, introspection and autocriticism that goes far beyond the political message. Anyway Radio Popolare is a political Radio, so no problem.

2 Likes

I listen to Radio Deejay: “one nation, one station, one love.” :joy:

I’m quite accustomed with this kind of syntax and I always recognize this kind of phone numbers if they are preceded by “555” or other similar numerical digits.

I didn’t immediately understood that “H.I.N.T.” was a reference to a phone number, though, for two reasons: 1) it doesn’t have any numerical digits before the alphabetic letters and 2) because the full stops make it seem an acronym.

I would have immediately understood 555-HINT but I had an hard time to understand “H.I.N.T.” or “H.I.N.T. (4468)”

Yeah, I understand that. I probably also would have registered it differently that way.

I also don´t think using word only phone numbers is even a thing. Technically you can translate every number to words but they wouldn´t always make sense like that “Married…With Children” snippet showed.

But just to visualise here are some ways to reach “Edna”

DIGG
EGGI
FIGG
EIGI
FIGI
DHIG
etc…

Not one good word there so it doesn´t really always work the other way around.

I agree about the way it was incorporated into the game, it feels very natural, while other games have included a hint system in ways that are extraneous to the story and to the environments.

As for Ron’s reluctance, well… times change and different audiences need to be handled in different ways. I think that he considered this hint system to be an acceptable alternative to sending players to search engines and online forums. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This should be Doug’s phone number… hehe

1 Like

Most of the people in this thread have said that they think that the new hint system is a good idea and that the positive effects outweigh the negative ones.

Still, most of the people in this thread have already finished the game before the hint system was added and we cannot be 100% sure how we would have behaved if we could have used the hint system in our first playthrough.

I think that it’s interesting to have a look at how other people have reacted to the introduction of the hint system. Here is a thread on the Steam forums: Hint line ruined the game for me.

Some of those sound to me like rants from obsessive people with nothing else to complaint about. I am willing to bet that most users won’t have a problem with the hint system being:

• useful
  • accessible
  • progressive and mostly spoiler-free
  • part of the game-world and story

You know, everything that some say walk-throughs are not and the reason they avoid them.

In fact, I will submit that most reasonable players would not blame the game for their own attempts to exploit it (as one commenter said in that thread) – just like most people don’t blame walk-throughs or the Internet for ruining their experiences.

dZ.

I appreciate the updates. But I also think the developers should let go of it soon and just leave it as it is. Not like George Lucas fiddling with star wars… wait… maybe this habbit is contagious…

Anyway I still have one suggestion which has to be done: the configuration file (inside jokes/help system so on) needs to be properly documented. Like if a friend buys the game on gog, how would he know that these options exist? So maybe a options.readme file for download as well, or also mention the thing during the installer. Otherwise this is the hardest puzzle. Or create a config menu.

Looking forward to the next game in 2 years. (Praying… praying… praying…).